Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 950433 times)

ian

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #4325 on: 26 August, 2014, 08:53:17 pm »
Lucy. Scarlett does her affectless thing (which she does very well) as she gets smarter than a TI 9000 calculator that's been plugged into the National Grid. OTT Korean gangsters. Guns galore. Nature film interludes that I suspect were a piss-take. Short and snappily edited (pay attention, directors). Wasn't sure where it was really going, ended up a bit Matrix-lite. Modestly entertaining, but I left with a feeling that it could have been better if it had pushed a bit more. I also have a theory that you can dress up any old cod-science by getting Morgan Freeman to solemnly explain it. I mutate your neutrinos.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #4326 on: 27 August, 2014, 05:09:36 pm »
I've got A Bittersweet Life I can always watch again tonight perhaps, but last night re-watched Hangover.

Great stuff.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #4327 on: 27 August, 2014, 06:21:12 pm »
Calvary

Thoroughly enjoyable and dark.

Especially loved Dylan Moran playing the part of Dylan Moran ".....it's very expensive".
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #4328 on: 29 August, 2014, 11:22:16 pm »
Shame, the Australian one.

Gang rape as a sport. Victim blaming as a culture. A perennial favourite of mine, if that is the right word. A worthy, well-written and bloody painful film.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4329 on: 30 August, 2014, 01:25:02 am »
No Country for Old Men.

I think the bumming was cut out of our version.
It is simpler than it looks.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4330 on: 30 August, 2014, 01:12:16 pm »
Finally, after giving it a miss 25 years ago, The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover.  The trailer on a VHS tape we borrowed made it look like low comedy.

Excellent.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4331 on: 31 August, 2014, 08:09:21 am »
Drowning By Numbers (Peter Greenaway's other "accessible" film) is my favourite although there is no decent DVD version; the Australian DVD that you can buy is pretty poor quality.  It's basically a surreal retelling of the Three Billy Goats Gruff in a sexual context.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

spindrift

« Reply #4332 on: 01 September, 2014, 08:07:41 pm »
Grand Central.

Tahar Rahim and Léa Seydoux meet and have urgent, wordless sex, the factory siren goes off, that's it. So bad I thought it was a parody of French films. Really awful, terrible and tawdry and dull and pointless.

Jakob

« Reply #4333 on: 02 September, 2014, 06:53:04 pm »
Captain America: Winter Soldier.

I missed this in the cinemas, so only got to watch it now and really enjoyed it.  It's been a long time since I worked on a movie that I actually enjoyed watching :).

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4334 on: 02 September, 2014, 07:53:07 pm »
Godzilla, the 1998 one. Sky were, obviously, having a monsters from the deep day on Sunday as it was followed by Pacific Rim, which I didn't get to see as I went scrumping.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #4335 on: 02 September, 2014, 10:57:03 pm »
Lucy. Really enjoyed it. Very much like when you've smoked too much of something you shouldn't have and can now see through space and time.

spindrift

« Reply #4336 on: 03 September, 2014, 09:02:07 am »
Morgan Freeman has given up, he just rolls up in films and speaks with great authority then buggers off with his cheque. There's a theory every time he staggers onto a film set and magisterially utters exposition he gets another freckle. In Lucy he's the brainiest scientist in the world on lithium, the same role in that Godawful Tom Cruise film with her off Mrs Thatcher.

he should do a film with Tom hardy and Bruce Willis.

« Reply #4337 on: 03 September, 2014, 12:29:59 pm »
Non-Stop

Absolute ridiculous pile of crap, just stupid, stupid from start to finish. Julianne Moore, Liam Neeson, what were they thinking accepting this? There's also Michelle Dockery who kept forgetting she's supposed to be from Leeds or somewhere and dropping out of the accent, and several other decent actors totally wasted.

Apparently, when you put an airliner into a dive, everyone hits the ceiling, then when you level off at 8000 ft a gun (but nothing else) will rise up off the floor and float. Etc, etc.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #4338 on: 07 September, 2014, 12:07:48 pm »
Gravity.

Really enjoyed it. Amazing special effects.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4339 on: 07 September, 2014, 05:16:59 pm »
Scott Pilgrim vs The World

WHY oh why did noone tell me about this?!? It's fantastic. Clever and hilarious, not what I'd expected at all.

I'd have trimmed the fight scenes down a bit (yes I know they were funny, and had all those Nintendo references etc). But I say that about almost everything made in the 21stC ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

red marley

« Reply #4340 on: 07 September, 2014, 05:32:33 pm »
Pride. Warm hearted and defiantly proud of political struggle, identity politics and trade unionism.

Despite the outcome of the miners' strike, ultimately uplifting. I think I had something in my eye for about 90 minutes.

« Reply #4341 on: 08 September, 2014, 09:46:10 am »
Pride. Warm hearted and defiantly proud of political struggle, identity politics and trade unionism.

Despite the outcome of the miners' strike, ultimately uplifting. I think I had something in my eye for about 90 minutes.
Ditto

Special screenings in York. Not a dry eye in the house.

Funniest moment wasn't a quip in the film. 'twas when Bronski Beat started playing. A guy behind me burst out clapping with a squeal of delight until his partner shushed him. I guess it brought back memories.

Being an uneducated Australian Oik in Australia in 1985, I had no idea until the end of the film that it was all based on history, that the march at the end really took place.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #4342 on: 08 September, 2014, 10:21:51 am »
I saw “Before the Devil knows you’re dead” over the weekend.

It’s been sitting on my ‘to watch’ shelf for some time.  The trailers for it that I saw tried to imply it was a heist film (and yes, the film does revolve around the planning and consequences of a heist gone awry) but it’s much more about the people, families and their disintegration (and destruction). It makes for some relentlessly grim viewing.

I thought it was very good but I couldn’t pause it for fear of not being able to start watching again (never saw the second half of ‘There will be blood’ because it was too depressing to start watching after stopping for a loo break).

red marley

« Reply #4343 on: 08 September, 2014, 12:13:56 pm »

Ditto

Funniest moment wasn't a quip in the film. 'twas when Bronski Beat started playing. A guy behind me burst out clapping with a squeal of delight until his partner shushed him. I guess it brought back memories.

Being an uneducated Australian Oik in Australia in 1985, I had no idea until the end of the film that it was all based on history, that the march at the end really took place.

A similar thing happened in our showing when Bronski Beat appeared. Lovely moment.

The film had special resonance for me as I was involved in collections in Bristol and delivery of food and Christmas presents to Penrhiwceiber during the strike, a village not dissimilar to that in the film. Seeing what happened during and after the strike of 84/85 was a very significant part of my political education.

tiermat

« Reply #4344 on: 08 September, 2014, 12:34:55 pm »

Ditto

A similar thing happened in our showing when Bronski Beat appeared. Lovely moment.

The film had special resonance for me as I was involved in collections in Bristol and delivery of food and Christmas presents to Penrhiwceiber during the strike, a village not dissimilar to that in the film. Seeing what happened during and after the strike of 84/85 was a very significant part of my political education.

Having read the reviews on here and on IMDB I will have to go and see this.

One minor niggle with the IMDB reviews, though.  There is most definitely more than one move about the miners strike that is good, Brassed Off being way better than Billy Elliot.  Then again that review is done by a Leftpondian.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #4345 on: 08 September, 2014, 01:22:57 pm »

Ditto

Having read the reviews on here and on IMDB I will have to go and see this.

One minor niggle with the IMDB reviews, though.  There is most definitely more than one move about the miners strike that is good, Brassed Off being way better than Billy Elliot.  Then again that review is done by a Leftpondian.

The (excellent) Antonia Bird film 'Face' also references it.

« Reply #4346 on: 08 September, 2014, 01:36:33 pm »
There is most definitely more than one move about the miners strike that is good, Brassed Off being way better than Billy Elliot.  Then again that review is done by a Leftpondian.
Brassed off has some of the greatest acting I've ever seen, from Stephen Tompkinson and Pete Postlethwaite.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #4347 on: 09 September, 2014, 11:16:35 am »
Last night I watched ‘Tender Mercies’, a sadly bittersweet film starring Robert Duvall about a washed up alcoholic Country singer who finds himself at the end of the road at a lonely motel, out in rural Texas.

It’s an oddly little known film, despite it garnering Robert Duvall an Oscar (I think he’s been nominated for something like six but that’s the one he was awarded it for).  Duvall sings on the film, pretty good Country voice too (he wrote most of the songs as well).  He apparently spent a  lot of time researching the character both to get the right accent and singing style.

Great film but that’s two fairly downbeat films in a row so I think I’ll go for something a little more cheerful next time.

tiermat

« Reply #4348 on: 09 September, 2014, 02:52:22 pm »
The Fault In Our Stars.

I was put onto this by TLD.

WOW.

Just WOW

spindrift

« Reply #4349 on: 10 September, 2014, 08:53:45 am »
What's wrong with taking a girl to the Anne Frank Museum on a first date?