Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 950457 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #4850 on: 15 February, 2015, 08:40:28 pm »
The Good Lie

I'm unsure what to make of this film. I know I enjoyed it very much, it was emotional in places, touching in others and then had some funny bits. It was a good watch.

Fury (2014)
The one with Brad Pitt as a tank captain. Surprisingly I actually really liked this as it was just a dumb movie about jarheads, there was a certain je ne said qoui about it.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #4851 on: 15 February, 2015, 09:56:39 pm »
you never know with je ne said qoui - but Brad Pitt certainly has saviour fair and a sprit de core.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #4852 on: 16 February, 2015, 12:18:24 am »
Under the Skin

Atmospheric and well shot.  But basically had the feel of a short film that was made into a feature length film because Scarlett Johansson was attached.  I spent too long thinking "yeah ok get to the point".

Good to hear Weegie banter though, even if scripted.

Not sure I'd recommend this one.
Exactly. Though I did giggle at the bedside lamp moment.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Jakob

« Reply #4853 on: 16 February, 2015, 04:55:48 am »
"Fury".  Much much darker than I expected, most certainly describes war as violent, dirty and turns even the good guys (GI's) into bad people. Starts out reasonably well, but last third is silly.

Jakob

« Reply #4854 on: 16 February, 2015, 07:05:11 am »
Cloud Atlas. I really enjoyed that and are looking forward to the extended version.

Extended version - that's interesting.  I'll look that out when the time comes. Very much enjoyed it in the cinema and on bluray.  Any idea when that might be available?

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/netflix-chief-says-4-hour-cut-of-cloud-atlas-will-blow-you-away-wachowskis-doubt-theyll-get-big-studio-budgets-again-20150210

Doesn't say :(

« Reply #4855 on: 16 February, 2015, 11:20:57 am »
Fifty Shades of Grey.  But only vicariously, Mrs A and daughter went; I went to the gym.  I understand the ending was unsatisfactory (if I may put it like that, or maybe that is exactly the right way to put it?)

Move Faster and Bake Things

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4856 on: 16 February, 2015, 03:54:10 pm »
When you've seen the film, don't forget to buy the official merchandise...

*boggle*
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #4857 on: 16 February, 2015, 05:18:33 pm »
There was an obligatory BBC (I think) story the other day about the expected perils of ambulance call-outs to rescue stranded victims of Fifty-Shades inspired attempts at restrained amour (yeah, yeah, they have the NHS doing PR). It ended with a few typical examples of lost handcuff keys and finally, deadpan, on a the rescue of a man from a toaster. Is that in the film? I may have to take back some of criticisms if there's toaster sex. I always thought a pop tart was a diabetes-inducing breakfast comestible, but now I have to wonder if it's not something else entirely. That's an extreme sport. Vacuum cleaners, so last year, it's only a matter of time before the true aficionado of culinary gratification casts an febrile eye upon other kitchen appliances. Ladies may have to put up with the outsized phallic pepper mill, but for the man in search of adventure, there are gadgets galore. Let's just hope those men wash that breadmaker out afterwards.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Andrew

« Reply #4859 on: 17 February, 2015, 01:34:28 pm »
Bad Lieutenant

Not the Harvey Keitel one, the Nicholas Cage film of the same name. Cage gives one of his caricature performances, larger than life - he is so good at it. Personally, I don't like it but I think this is a film that probably divides opinion. If you like Cage in classic OTT manic mode than you'll love it.

I have to admit I did smile at the beautifully hammy  'all worked out ok in the end' ending but I found little else to remark upon in here. Just not my thing. It's directed by Werner Herzog so maybe there's a wacky German sense of humour at play.

ian

« Reply #4860 on: 17 February, 2015, 08:09:05 pm »
I did sign off yesterday wondering if I'd imagined up the toaster thing. But Google says it's an actual Thing, for which I'm dubiously relieved. I'd hate to the be one to have imagined that one up. I've also been advised that sadly no one fucks a toaster in Fifty Shades, which I think is a shame, and might have added a little much needed colour in more ways than one. Insert your own crumpet joke, but hey, don't insert your own Thing. This is your obligatory don't-do-this-at-home kids warning. Really, keep your dick out of the kitchen. It's advice my wife gave me some time ago, and I've never had to be rescued by a fireman and a liberal salving of I Can't Believe That's Not Butter.

Apropos of nothing, I used to share an office with Britain's most prominent academic urological organ. My office mate, the delightful Veronica, dutiful servant of said organ (hey, these bondage allusions don't come easily to my anointed little fingers) would gleefully show me pictures from their case study submission section. There truly is no place that the male penis hasn't pioneered. They're like the Indiana Jones of anatomical stupidity, always dashing into danger. And you don't want to know the sort of thing its chucklesome spheroid twins do for comic relief. If we had an inner goddess, she'd undoubtedly be shaking her head in resigned shame.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #4861 on: 17 February, 2015, 10:20:59 pm »
Her

Spike Jonze thing. I liked it a lot, in an Eternal Sunshine kind of way. It's more interesting than just a quirky romcom about a man falling in love with his computer - it actually has some interesting (if not entirely original) things to say about relationships and identity. Only thing I'm not convinced about is that a glorified greetings card writer could earn enough to live his lifestyle.

Spoilerish comment to follow...
(click to show/hide)

I liked it too.

(click to show/hide)

As an examination of relationships, and the way we invent them as we live them, it was most interesting. 
Milk please, no sugar.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #4862 on: 18 February, 2015, 06:48:27 pm »
The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

I just found this film incredibly depressing and upsetting.  A whole sequence of horrible events in people's lives, awful.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #4863 on: 18 February, 2015, 07:12:22 pm »
Pretty much why I couldn't watch No Country for Old Men after recording it. It was great when I first saw it and it is a fantastic film, but it is a continuous series of brutal killings and too grim to watch, knowing what is about to happen.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Jakob

« Reply #4864 on: 18 February, 2015, 11:31:53 pm »
Guardians of the Galaxy. First half was so-so, second half was quite good.

Jakob

« Reply #4865 on: 21 February, 2015, 07:58:00 pm »
American Sniper.
I do like the way that Clint Eastwood portraits people. He's very good at making them feel like real people. The story is fairly compelling, but also in typical Eastwood style, leaves a lot untold. With out knowing about Chris Kyle in advance, it's a very good movie, but by many accounts, he was a bit of a dick (despite his VA work) and the film pretty much skips that and that does detract from it.

« Reply #4866 on: 21 February, 2015, 08:34:44 pm »
Last weekend I watched Cloud Atlas, which was interesting, if a bit complicated and very long.  I'll probably need to watch it again, possibly a few times, to work out all of the interesting details!

Currently, I'm half way through watching Lucy, which whilst not on the same scale as Cloud Atlas, is somewhat amusing in its portrayal of a sort of next stage homo sapiens, and how she behaves.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #4867 on: 22 February, 2015, 01:31:06 am »
Just watched David Cronenberg's 'Spider', shot in London in 2002.

Beautifully filmed tale about a disturbed bloke seeking to come to terms with his mother's murder.
Ralph Fiennes is brilliant and consistently believable throughout.
Didn't see the twist coming at the end [but there again I never do lol].
You've got to be in the mood, and I guess this evening I was.
Compelling. Didn't put the kettle on once throughout.
Garry Broad

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4868 on: 22 February, 2015, 10:49:45 am »
Kingsman. The most fun film I've seen in a cinema for many a year. Plenty of different aspects to keep you entertained. Bit naughty at the end though.
(click to show/hide)
The cinema was half full. Maybe because about half the slots in the multiplex were 50 Shades, with gaggling groups of girls giggling their way in.

Lots of drunk students about in the streets in pyjamas afterwards, then the street theatre of a drunk woman with two companions avoiding a beggar with his dog before she dropped her knicks and pissed in an M&S doorway.

If you are shopping in Bath today, keep a lookout for puddles.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4869 on: 22 February, 2015, 01:57:55 pm »
Headhunters, based on a Jo Nesbo book.  Good fun.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4870 on: 22 February, 2015, 04:48:20 pm »
The recent version of 47 Ronin, which is fairly loosely based upon the Japanese 18th century events.

It's not a bad film, the cinematography, dress, and fight scenes are impressive.  It attempts to be both a fantasy and historical retelling, and unfortunately straddles the two to the extent that it fails at being either well.

Keanu Reeves seems to be an unnecessary embellishment, presumably to encourage USA audiences to watch it, which it failed at, since it bombed, making $151 million with a budget of $175 million.

I enjoyed it, but I like Japanese fantasy tales.  I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it, but it's worth spending the £7 that Amazon are charging for it at the moment.[1]

Footnote [1] On Amazon, you can get 47 Ronin, RIPD and Immortals on Bluray for £6-90, which is an odd mixture, but a bit of a bargain for some not brilliant but mostly fun films.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #4871 on: 22 February, 2015, 04:50:18 pm »
World War Z last night.  Pretty good. A lot of unbelieveable bits in it but still pretty good.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4872 on: 22 February, 2015, 04:59:08 pm »
The Spy Who Loved Me.  Probably the most representative Bond film.  It has the lot; snow, deserts, an underwater car and a truly bonkers villain.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4873 on: 22 February, 2015, 06:06:19 pm »
Kingsman. The most fun film I've seen in a cinema for many a year. Plenty of different aspects to keep you entertained. Bit naughty at the end though.
(click to show/hide)

We saw it last night. I really enjoyed it but something about the violence made me feel a bit uncomfortable. It felt like half the violence was very cartoony but other half was gruesomely explicit. It wasn't clear what sort of tone they were going for with it and it was weird to watch. I did like it though.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

ian

« Reply #4874 on: 22 February, 2015, 06:56:43 pm »
(click to show/hide)

We saw it last night. I really enjoyed it but something about the violence made me feel a bit uncomfortable. It felt like half the violence was very cartoony but other half was gruesomely explicit. It wasn't clear what sort of tone they were going for with it and it was weird to watch. I did like it though.

I think I'm getting old, I'm starting to find violence, especially the consequence-lite stylistic and cartoonistic gore, discomforting. That and the fact it's peachy to slash, maim, and decapitate en masse, but if we see a cock or nipples and the world might just end. Will someone please think of the children. Not you, Rolf, not you.

In other news...

Alien and Aliens because I found the quadrilogy hiding in box in the garage. They've aged very well (other than the suspiciously low tech computers). Aliens still is still the boss alien-fighting movie. It also reminds me of many lost hours of my PhD spent abusing the university network with multiplayer Aliens Doom. I can, as a result, kick xenomorph ass with a pipette or a M41A pulse rifle. Assuming xenomorphs have an ass.

Not sure I can brave Aliens3, I can always remember it being a bit shit. And I can't remember Alien Resurrection at all, which possibly isn't complimentary. Like Terminator, one of those series that should have stopped at number 2. There's a good reason people don't do number 3s. Unless they're xenomorphs with their mysterious ass situation. That might enable a number 3.