Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 955781 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #6100 on: 05 March, 2016, 08:13:37 am »
Two Years At Sea

It felt like it took two years to watch this. I'm not sure if it was supposed to be a film that you watch, it was more like an installation you walk in and out of, watching a few minutes at a time.

As for "enigmatic cinematography in low-key black and white" — bollocks, it looked crap, badly exposed, covered in video artefacts, with added fake scratches and watermarks.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #6101 on: 05 March, 2016, 08:32:29 am »
The Program

I enjoyed this, but I kept finding myself picking up on things I didn't think entirely accurate. I liked seeing hints of Lance and Floyds inner demons there beneath the surface. I didn't know if the portrayal of him doing his cancer fund-raisers was accurate, him embellishing the truth for dramatic effect.  The paul and phil commentary still grates as they bang on about how there has never been a hint of suspicision, etc.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6102 on: 05 March, 2016, 09:37:31 am »
John Wick

Marvellous, preposterous, over the top bang bang bang stab fun.
It is simpler than it looks.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #6103 on: 06 March, 2016, 12:43:09 am »
Saving Private Ryan

Preposterous bang bang bang stab stuff.

The beach sequence was extraordinary, but not as emotional as it should have been, too graphic and too much disconnect between the numbers cut down - most of the soldiers in the boats shot, then loads over the sides. Most of the soldiers in the shallows and first bit of beach killed, then loads to storm the barbed wire. Similar disconnect in the final tank battle, there seemed to be ever more US troops as the battle went on.

Plus no soldiers apart from US ones. Plus a bit of an absurd premise. Plus the gratuitous death of TH at the end.

Glad I have finally seen it though.

« Reply #6104 on: 06 March, 2016, 07:51:19 am »
Spy

I didn't have high hopes for this (my goodness, the American audiences really can't cope with British-style swearing, can they?) but it was very enjoyable and nowhere near as puerile as suggested. OK, it's no Kingsman but Melissa McCarthy was excellent, Jason Statham was perfectly cast as and over-the-top himself and pulled it off brilliantly, even Miranda Hart didn't irritate too much.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6105 on: 06 March, 2016, 08:12:03 am »
Saving Private Ryan

Preposterous bang bang bang stab stuff.

The beach sequence was extraordinary, but not as emotional as it should have been, too graphic and too much disconnect between the numbers cut down - most of the soldiers in the boats shot, then loads over the sides. Most of the soldiers in the shallows and first bit of beach killed, then loads to storm the barbed wire. Similar disconnect in the final tank battle, there seemed to be ever more US troops as the battle went on.

Plus no soldiers apart from US ones. Plus a bit of an absurd premise. Plus the gratuitous death of TH at the end.

Glad I have finally seen it though.

Wot no Krauts?

Lack of other Allies feasible so soon after D-Day, everything took place within a day's walk & Allies were further up the coast.

What I didn't like was the lousy physics during the landing.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #6106 on: 06 March, 2016, 09:02:16 am »
Oh yes, there were Krauts, but they were bit parts. Apart from the nasty one that proved that Krauts have no souls.

OK, so there was a likelihood that there would be no Allied troops, but there was no mention of any joint effort to get rid of Mr Hilter.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6107 on: 06 March, 2016, 09:46:03 am »
Par for the course.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #6108 on: 06 March, 2016, 10:06:01 am »
Yes, I did wonder if there might have been an Enimga machine found in a tank.

fuzzy

« Reply #6109 on: 07 March, 2016, 04:25:36 pm »
Weren't the Allies just folk to change the beds, do the washing up and serve the beer for the Americans?

« Reply #6110 on: 07 March, 2016, 04:49:55 pm »
Saving Private Ryan

Plus a bit of an absurd premise.

It's supposed to be based on a 'true' story although I can't find any actual evidence of this - the Sullivan brothers going down in the same ship is the closest I can find in a quick Wikipedia search.

The absurd bit is taking a platoon out of the line for a search and rescue mission when troops (and Germans) were still scattered all over the peninsula with no clear indication if we were actually winning. The story goes a company padre was sent to get him.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #6111 on: 07 March, 2016, 05:28:48 pm »
I remember pointing out to someone when we left the cinema - I watched this back when it came out - once also since - that the Omaha beach scene underplayed the seriousness of the problem the US soldiers had there (yes it was a specifically US beach landing - Gold Juno and Sword were separated from Omaha by Utah beach - the other american one - and 3/4 of the ground troops from D-day onwards *were* american to be fair)). 
On the real D-day it was by far the toughest of the beaches for various reasons (armour sunk offshore landing the wrong place - fresh panzer division arrived on the scene the day before or summat - landing craft going to wrong place etc.) - the soldiers were mostly pinned to the surf-line for about 16 hours iirc.  So I have no problem personally with the americans taking credit where it is actually due - they got the brunt of the casualties that day for mostly that beach - kudos for taking it at all.  It was pointed out to me that they had to make some allowances for dramatic effect however - a full gruelling 16 hour marathon was probably not required  ;)

However, having seen it twice - it's a overall a reasonably pointless film for me - mostly just about the - yes extraordinary - opening sequence really and general war-is-bad-mmmkay type stuff.

Actually thinking about it now, maybe I'm now benumbed to the war-is-bad message in such war films.  I used to like stuff like Platoon, Apocalypse Now and such but more recent war films like 3 Kings, Thin Red Line, American Sniper  - what's the one with Matt Damon as a bomb disposal guy? - haven't really done anything for me.  I guess the special effects of blowing people up get better but I got the war-is-bad soldiers go mad/do evil things under hellfire conditions message some time ago... ho hum.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6112 on: 07 March, 2016, 05:59:36 pm »
I liked Band of Brothers much more, even though Stephen Ambrose was later shown to have grafted in incidents involving other units than Easy Company.

A quirky WW1 film I really like is The Wipers Times.

caerau

« Reply #6113 on: 07 March, 2016, 06:03:11 pm »
Wipers = Ypres presumably - I shall have a look  - WW1 isn't done enough for me.

« Reply #6114 on: 07 March, 2016, 06:24:04 pm »
American Ultra

A bit of a mess actually. Avoid.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #6115 on: 07 March, 2016, 09:57:37 pm »
Wipers = Ypres presumably - I shall have a look  - WW1 isn't done enough for me.

Apologies for sullying this thread with television, but have you seen Our World War?
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

caerau

« Reply #6116 on: 07 March, 2016, 11:13:59 pm »
Yes, it was very good - excellent in fact.  Could have been much much longer though - leaped through rather a lot.  I wanted more.  A really good point was portraying both factions as humans I thought.  WW1 was not black and white good v evil in the way WW2 was, despite continuing propoganda that way.  I was recently in Kiel where the german fleets were built and stationed - they have a very sensitive museum there which made my heart break for their people.

[edit - sorry *points at self* I geek out at these historical breakwaters]

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #6117 on: 09 March, 2016, 12:12:13 am »
Terminator Genisys

Total utter unmitigated crap.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #6118 on: 09 March, 2016, 12:22:15 am »
Sorry, I was a bit premature, I wrote that 20 mins too early.

Pure, complete, 100% rubbish.

I've watched it so that you don't have to.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6119 on: 09 March, 2016, 07:29:38 am »
Spectre.  What a barrel of retrodden crap.  I want my evening back.

Why watch it?  Well... a new Bond comes out, missus says "Dad'll like that" and gets it.  When we run out of other stuff we put it on. She endures it, I endure it, and at the end the Inlaw Paw says "I'm glad that's over."

Good-bye for ever, Mr. Bond.

« Reply #6120 on: 09 March, 2016, 08:17:02 am »
Hail, Ceasar
I go see some utter crap. This really wasn't. Surprising, funny, great characters, great actors. Great.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6121 on: 10 March, 2016, 09:43:20 am »
Hail, Ceasar
I go see some utter crap. This really wasn't. Surprising, funny, great characters, great actors. Great.

I've got tickets to go and see that on Saturday. Very much looking forward to it.  :thumbsup:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #6122 on: 10 March, 2016, 09:48:54 am »
Edge of Tomorrow 3D

I quite enjoyed this, although I watched it after only getting 10 minutes into Mad Max Furry Road. It was Source Code meets Saving Private Ryan. With post processed 3D (which I found out afterwards - that explained Tom Cruise's odd neck) that added to some of the scenes. Bits of the film dragged a bit, but it was good escapist fun, wouldn't rush to see it again.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6123 on: 10 March, 2016, 09:50:11 am »
Edge of Tomorrow 3D

I quite enjoyed this, although I watched it after only getting 10 minutes into Mad Max Furry Road. It was Source Code meets Saving Private Ryan. With post processed 3D (which I found out afterwards - that explained Tom Cruise's odd neck) that added to some of the scenes. Bits of the film dragged a bit, but it was good escapist fun, wouldn't rush to see it again.

We watched the 2D version at the weekend.

It's Groundhog Day with aliens and without the music...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

caerau

« Reply #6124 on: 10 March, 2016, 09:54:38 am »

after only getting 10 minutes into Mad Max Furry Road.

Think, rerun  that 10 minutes 12 times and you've seen it all - job done.

Edge of Tomorrow as not bad at all I thought - definitely Groundhog day with aliens :)