Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 950272 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #6225 on: 31 March, 2016, 06:53:31 am »
I really enjoyed batman vs superman, it was pretty much a mash up of the Dark Knight returns and Watchmen graphic novels of my youth. The imagery of Batman in a duster wearing goggles was lifted straight from the pages of the Dark Knight returns. As much as I enjoyed it, a sizeable number of the audience were bored and just started chatting amongst themselves. If you're that bored just leave, why try ruin other people's enjoyment.

Maybe they weren't bored, just answering their phones?
Move Faster and Bake Things

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6226 on: 01 April, 2016, 12:45:11 am »
Hitchcock.

Starring Helen Mirren.

It was very enjoyable but somehow fell short of the mark.  Maybe it needed a better director.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #6227 on: 01 April, 2016, 07:53:28 am »
The Lego Movie.

How this didn't get a best animation Oscar I don't know - ludicrously entertaining, and all very pleasingly metafictional.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6228 on: 01 April, 2016, 08:15:49 am »
I really enjoyed batman vs superman, it was pretty much a mash up of the Dark Knight returns and Watchmen graphic novels of my youth. The imagery of Batman in a duster wearing goggles was lifted straight from the pages of the Dark Knight returns. As much as I enjoyed it, a sizeable number of the audience were bored and just started chatting amongst themselves. If you're that bored just leave, why try ruin other people's enjoyment.

Maybe they weren't bored, just answering their phones?
Well im with gerald on this one.

(the chatting - I have no plan to pay money to see this movie!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6229 on: 01 April, 2016, 09:06:15 am »
The Lego Movie.

How this didn't get a best animation Oscar I don't know - ludicrously entertaining, and all very pleasingly metafictional.

The intrusion of

(click to show/hide)

burst the bubble for me.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Andrew

« Reply #6230 on: 01 April, 2016, 10:00:50 am »
The Lego Movie.

With one of the most ear-wormy songs ever written.

A superb movie, thoroughly recommended.

ian

« Reply #6231 on: 01 April, 2016, 10:17:51 am »
The Lego Movie.

The intrusion of

(click to show/hide)

burst the bubble for me.

Yes, that bit was unnecessary and messed with the tone, but altogether a great movie. Everything is indeed awesome. I tried to persuade the mothership to play that song as the intro to our sales conference, but evidently they have a better grasp of irony than I'd credited them with. Took me a while to release it was Tegan and Sara, Calgary's biggest fringed pop duo.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6232 on: 01 April, 2016, 11:21:58 pm »
Battle Mountain: Graeme Obree's Story

Well worth the price of admission, though I spent most of the sequences from the event muttering "oh look, there's $USUAL_SUSPECT" instead of paying attention to the film.  And got to have a nice chat with the star and Charlie the Manager afterwards.  Spotted myself twice, plus once taking off in the course car, and had my name mentioned in a radio message as well.

(Awaits call from BAFTA)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6233 on: 03 April, 2016, 03:05:00 pm »
Olympus Has Fallen. I did see it on a plane some time back, but I'm looking forward to seeing London Has Fallen. I'll be honest, I loved it. There was the po-faced White House Down with the same plot at the same time, but OHF has Morgan Freeman in it, so wins and then wins some more. I've previously posited the theory that no matter the movie, no matter how bad the script, the screenwriting, the cinematography, the directing, just cast Morgan. It's all going to smell of roses. Not that this needs it, Norks make ace baddies, DC gets blown up, the White House gets pebbledashed with high calibre bullets. Pretty much by the end of it, I had to be restrained from declaring war on North Korea myself.

It's just a re-make of 'Die Hard'.  And as such, it was very enjoyable  :)
Milk please, no sugar.

fuzzy

« Reply #6234 on: 04 April, 2016, 01:59:48 pm »
Abyss- the long version.

Still good.

« Reply #6235 on: 06 April, 2016, 09:44:50 am »
Deadpool

I had low expectations.

I was wrong. That was actually rather good.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6236 on: 06 April, 2016, 10:35:11 am »

Well worth the price of admission, though I spent most of the sequences from the event muttering "oh look, there's $USUAL_SUSPECT" instead of paying attention to the film.  And got to have a nice chat with the star and Charlie the Manager afterwards.  Spotted myself twice, plus once taking off in the course car, and had my name mentioned in a radio message as well.

(Awaits call from BAFTA)

It's just a re-make of 'Die Hard'.  And as such, it was very enjoyable  :)

(that is how I read the last few posts - I clearly hadn't woken up properly ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6237 on: 06 April, 2016, 11:07:34 am »
The thought of Mr Obree with a machine pistol is not something I want to contemplate  ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #6238 on: 06 April, 2016, 11:16:02 am »
The thought of Mr Obree with a machine pistol is not something I want to contemplate  ;D
Journalist "What is special about your machine pistol, Mr Obree?"

GO "Most machine pistols fire bullets at 10 rounds per second, see, and if you fire faster than that, you can't control it. Mine fires at 200 rounds per second."

Journalist "That's remarkable. How do you achieve that?"

GO "I've stabilised the recoil by firing forwards and backwards at the same time. Here, I'll demonstrate . . .."
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #6239 on: 06 April, 2016, 01:25:59 pm »

He could probably molish a latter-day Sten gun from the leftover bits in his workshop.  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #6240 on: 06 April, 2016, 05:05:42 pm »

(Awaits call from BAFTA)

Me too! Down in Brighton. I nabbed Graeme before we went in as he was hanging around the foyer. So I got him to hold my little Wiggo (on Instagram as @mr.rigs).

Anyway, I think I convinced him I wasn't completely mad.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #6241 on: 06 April, 2016, 05:35:39 pm »
If I hadn't already encountered your 'little Wiggo' Riggers old chap, I'd be reading something quite quite different into your encounter with Mr Obree.

« Reply #6242 on: 07 April, 2016, 01:46:08 pm »
We watched The Breakfast Club last night. Why on earth is it considered a classic?

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #6243 on: 07 April, 2016, 02:57:52 pm »
I had to buy my sister the Breakfast Club on DVD for her birthday this year - I could ask her but she made us watch it.

It's bratpacky - it was kind of OK if you like teen angst things - which I don't particularly.  I guess it's a classic if you liked that sort of thing back then and are an ageing wannabe*

I was surprised to see Harry Dean Stanton in it.  But then I looked up the brat pack and discovered that he was considered their 'mentor' - presumably not in the drug taking/alcoholism/partner abuse department.

*no I didn't say that about my sister  :-X
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #6244 on: 07 April, 2016, 03:07:05 pm »
My stepdaughter loves that film.

It's ok.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6245 on: 07 April, 2016, 03:16:28 pm »
Hunger Games: Mockingjay (parts 1 & 2)

Yawn.

It's not that I've got anything to actually complain about, other than the cat's body language being wrong (and if I'm going to make a fuss about that let's start with The Golden Compass), and the fact that Peeta is clearly evil-looking[1], and therefore fails to be a convincing love-interest for the ever-sensible Katniss, resulting in apparent plot holes and an overly-dissonant ending.

It's just that the whole thing comes across as what you'd get if you gave The CW an enormous budget and told them to make something like The Fifth Element, then edited Season 2 together into a couple of extra-long movies.

It's probably good allegory for today's youth, thobut.

[1] Maybe it's just me?  It's that mid-90s hair thing where you can't tell whether young men are harmless gayers or abusive cool kids.  I suppose the target audience weren't around in the 90s, so don't have that issue.

« Reply #6246 on: 07 April, 2016, 03:29:58 pm »
I had to buy my sister the Breakfast Club on DVD for her birthday this year ...
I was surprised to see Harry Dean Stanton in it. ...
I don't remember HDS in The Breakfast Club.  Are you sure you're not mixing it up with Pretty in Pink?  Itself an excellent fillum - Jon Cryer's Duckie is a great character. 

fuzzy

« Reply #6247 on: 07 April, 2016, 03:41:56 pm »
But, but, it has Molly frickin Ringwald in it. What more do you want?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6248 on: 07 April, 2016, 04:25:42 pm »
But, but, it has Molly frickin Ringwald in it. What more do you want?
but but she's a lot better in Pretty in Pink!

(although I love Jon Cryer more)

Breakfast Club is pretty good. But it hasn't aged brilliantly due to the horrendous US fashions/styles on display, plus the fact that it was really very original at the time.

When you've seen 50 films/TV shows that are so influenced by it, the original often looks rather lame in hindsight.  :-\
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6249 on: 07 April, 2016, 07:07:18 pm »
Molly Ringwald is the main reason I have watched Breakfast Club so many times.

As I get older, though, I seem to find Ally Sheedy more... intriguing.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."