Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 950227 times)

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #6375 on: 24 May, 2016, 08:05:59 pm »
I must have missed the bit where he lost his hair - although I did notice he'd gone bald.

Prof X was always bald in the comics - this is hardly unreasonable of them.  I saw Wolverine's appearance as a 'just another Wolverine cameo' in the newer timeline - not quite as punchy as the one in X-Men First Class of course (that was awesome :D ).  Besides they did lead up to this in Days of Future Past - presumably the one you missed I"m guessing - it's much better than this one...

The comics were forever rehashing the origin stories so I'm not sure that's not Stan Lee rather than Hollywood.  How old is that guy now - he was ancient in the 70s!?

I definitely enjoyed it - but as I said earlier my inner 70s child can't withdraw himself from these.  :-D It must stem from the disappointment of seeing Spiderman Strikes back in 1978 when we missed a showing of Close Encounters and longing for the days when they could do these properly.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

caerau

« Reply #6376 on: 24 May, 2016, 08:08:04 pm »
One cannot believe they've done an Independence Day sequel.  But then I suppose an industry that did a sequel to Police Academy 5 hasn't yet found its nadir.
I shall *maybe* watch that on TV - I still want my money back for the first one.

caerau

« Reply #6377 on: 24 May, 2016, 08:10:11 pm »
(sorry can't resist)

20 years I've waited...

:facepalm:

ian

« Reply #6378 on: 24 May, 2016, 08:43:46 pm »
Oh, I loved Independence Day. Gigonormous alien fisticuffs. Jeff Goldblum saving the Earth with a Mac. Try that with a PC, hold on – shittens mckittens, it's fucking installing Windows 10, now now!. Or Linux. What do you mean there's no driver in the kernel for alien motherships? We don't have time to recompile the kernel! I did a little happy dance when I heard they were doing a sequel. And when I say little, it wasn't. People left the room. Or ran more like. A complete ninja funk out. You gotta let that shit out.

Stan Lee is quite old, but aging well judging by the cameo (he's up to 25 films now, apparently).

Reminds me, I did see Captain America: Civil War last weekend. Enjoyed that too. These sorts of movies are IMax crack. Highbrow culture is so overrated. My brain likes getting dirty. Wrestling in mud in just its underpants. That's my intellect. I'm also lined up for the new Star Trek and Suicide Squad.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6379 on: 24 May, 2016, 09:45:42 pm »
I was trying to watch 'Funny Girl' with Barbra Streisand, but my mate Ian had to leave and mcshroom offered to give him a lift home.

They should've just said!

::-)
Milk please, no sugar.

Andrew

« Reply #6380 on: 25 May, 2016, 07:57:50 am »
I really hated 'Funny Girl'. That's all I remember about it. But I was only a kid when I saw it so maybe I oughtn't be trusted.

Premium Rush - light, fun, lots of cycling (not all of it quite believable but what the hell), some cool bike handling skills. Who cares about the plot? Fixed gear, metal frame, no brakes - the way to live.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6381 on: 25 May, 2016, 03:56:24 pm »
Independence Day 2 :facepalm:  Labor Day, perchance?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #6382 on: 27 May, 2016, 09:53:14 pm »
Love & Friendship

A bit light on exploding helicopters and/or zombies, but totally and utterly wonderful despite that. Made me LOL a lot more than I was expecting. I've long been a fan of Whit Stillman and I've long been a fan of Jane Austen, but I never imagined what a perfect marriage they would make. Superb. Kate Beckinsale is magnificent. Also, Tom Bennett as the comedy foil very nearly steals the show. Peas have never been so funny.

ETA: just listened to Kermode's review this morning. He reckons it's the best film he's seen this year. Also the notorious curmudgeon Peter Bradshaw gives it 5/5 stars.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6383 on: 28 May, 2016, 09:32:56 am »
¾ of Cockneys vs Zombies, mostly to see how the wonderful Mrs. Gale is holding up these days (well, 4 years ago).  Not bad at all, Mrs. G - John Steed would be proud.

As to the film, it's good wallpaper for practising the banjo.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #6384 on: 29 May, 2016, 08:10:54 pm »
Whiplash

Mediocre fillum, but I liked the story and the music (especially the final scene) is amazing.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #6385 on: 30 May, 2016, 09:38:30 am »
Whiplash

Mediocre fillum, but I liked the story and the music (especially the final scene) is amazing.
Really? I loved it. I thought a lot better than mediocre.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6386 on: 30 May, 2016, 10:17:33 pm »
Love & Friendship

Followed that up tonight by watching Damsels in Distress cos it was on Film4 and it's the one Whit Stillman film I haven't got round to seeing before. Loved it. Possibly not as much as Love & Friendship but it did make me laugh a lot. Greta Gerwig is wonderful as the main character Violet - apparently shallow and entirely devoid of all seriousness but with a rather touching undercurrent of sadness.

I can see a lot of people hating this film. Whit Stillman either works for you or he doesn't. I'm am unashamed fan.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #6387 on: 31 May, 2016, 12:36:06 pm »
Captain America Civil War.
Well it was great fun and - well - an Avengers film with great action and some self-mithering about the morality of dropping buildings on people when 'doing good'

It is what it is - a Marvel superhero film and one of the better ones I think although they all start to merge into one. 
Faustus or A La Recherche du Temps Perdu it is not...

We say this yesterday. I really enjoyed it. Though I hardly recognised the comic in the film it didn't matter because

I definitely enjoyed it - but as I said earlier my inner 70s child can't withdraw himself from these.  :-D It must stem from the disappointment of seeing Spiderman Strikes back in 1978 when we missed a showing of Close Encounters and longing for the days when they could do these properly.

And in Civil War they introduce a Peter Parker that looks like the one I've been waiting for. Aunt May, on the other hand...

The airport fight is just wonderful. It's big, it's fast, it's complicated and it's funny. Those 5 or so minutes alone were worth the ticket price. The occasional plot hole is forgiven. As is the need sometimes to forget some of the characters: a Thor or a Hulk or a Vision would make most fights quite short. In fairness, the films are only employing the same device as the comics when they 'park' a character (whether ignoring him/her or finding some way to temporarily check them) to even things up and create tension.

Bonus points to anyone who watches this film without shouting "Splitters" at one or other side.

If you judge a film by the reaction of the target audience, this one was a hit. My 9 year old (who hasn't dressed up in a long time) went straight upstairs when we got home to fetch his little brother's CA helmet and shield to go outside and practice his gymnastics.

Oh, and Suzy enjoyed the Cap/Bucky helicopter scene for her own reasons.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

caerau

« Reply #6388 on: 31 May, 2016, 12:41:46 pm »
Ah yes, the new envisioning of Aunt May was rather intriguing was it not  :facepalm: :-D

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #6389 on: 31 May, 2016, 01:00:01 pm »
Captain America Civil War

(click to show/hide)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #6390 on: 01 June, 2016, 10:37:55 am »
Whiplash

Really? I loved it. I thought a lot better than mediocre.

I'm probably being too harsh but I found it less engaging than I was expecting. I'd watch it again though (and probably will to give it a second chance).
Pen Pusher

« Reply #6391 on: 01 June, 2016, 10:46:00 am »
The Big Short. Very interesting, and quite thought provoking. Even though it's a US story, it did make me question the UK property market and whether or not I really want another mortgage. That being said, compared to the US it really does seem the mortgage brokers in the UK are actually pretty professional.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6392 on: 01 June, 2016, 10:52:13 am »
Oh, I'm sure the US ones are professional, but at what is a different question.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Andrew

« Reply #6393 on: 01 June, 2016, 11:09:19 am »
Alice in Wonderland (the 2010 Tim Burton one) - excellent animation/effects, some great lines and amusing pantomime acting (esp Bonham-Carter and Depp)  but rather surprisingly I found it quite dull. A good watch though.

Trumbo - a straight down the line, no frills movie. Solid in construction, script and performances. It's the factual story (McCarthy era film industry black list) that holds you rather than the movie. I found out afterwards that Bryan Cranston was Oscar nominated for his performance. I can't say that I see why; it didn't suck but neither was it anything startling - like the movie itself, it was simply very proficient.

« Reply #6394 on: 01 June, 2016, 11:36:48 am »
The Heart of the Sea - Very good and pretty close to the book.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #6395 on: 01 June, 2016, 12:18:53 pm »
Alice in Wonderland (the 2010 Tim Burton one) - excellent animation/effects, some great lines and amusing pantomime acting (esp Bonham-Carter and Depp) 

Burton / Bonham-Carter / Depp

You only need watch the first minute...

Guess the leading Lady
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Andrew

« Reply #6396 on: 02 June, 2016, 01:07:32 pm »
The Prestige - magician rivalry, obsession and acts of desperation. This is a Christopher Nolan film and just as he did with his excellent Momento, the film structure somewhat mirrors/reinforces the plot. Here again, he moves around in the timeline and generally messes with your head. The 'magic' theme also being played to with a number of obvious deceptions to distract the eye. The truth is all there though, put out before your eyes to see, if you want to see it. The ending, obvious when you know how.

It's the 2nd time I've seen it and it remained intriguing even when knowing the outcome. There are plot 'conveniences' (best not dwelt on) but it moves steadily towards the final scene. Superbly made, solidly acted, stylish with excellent staging. It get's my recommendation.

In summary, an excellent film that leaves you satisfied at the reveal - just as a magician's trick might. 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6397 on: 02 June, 2016, 01:31:27 pm »
That film annoyed me intensely, because they went to some lengths to establish a steampunk / science fiction setting and then did a fantasy ending.  They had a couple of really obvious scenes where they could have established the genre more solidly, too.

(click to show/hide)

caerau

« Reply #6398 on: 02 June, 2016, 01:55:18 pm »
I like the Prestige but it's a bit of a pale shadow of things like Inception, Batman Begins et al. for me. 

Still it's got Wolverine in it  :thumbsup: :-D ;)

« Reply #6399 on: 02 June, 2016, 01:56:41 pm »
The point was that
(click to show/hide)