Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 955775 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #6525 on: 30 July, 2016, 09:13:42 pm »
GHOSTBUSTERS!

And I loved it. Also, I think they based Holtzmann on Charlotte.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #6526 on: 01 August, 2016, 02:07:19 pm »
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

... which is exactly what it is called, Pride and Prejudice with Zombies.  If you dislike period drama, or zombie films, you'll probably hate this too, and I can't help wondering if the audience who likes both categories may be a bit small.  Still, in a rather oddly fascinated way, I enjoyed it.  Very BBC quality period filming and acting, with generally utterly deadpan lines concerning zombies, or subjects pertaining to them.

Quote from: Elizabeth Bennet
It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #6527 on: 01 August, 2016, 02:45:36 pm »
Finding Dory

Animated talking fish. Oh, and a friendly octopus septopus.

Brilliant fun.
Pen Pusher

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6528 on: 01 August, 2016, 03:59:25 pm »
GHOSTBUSTERS!

And I loved it. Also, I think they based Holtzmann on Charlotte.
That's exactly what I thought!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6529 on: 01 August, 2016, 04:18:26 pm »
The missus has developed a thing for Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, so I'm fighting sleep every evening. B-movie grade Agatha Christie knock-offs, only not as believable. Bloody atrocious, in fact.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #6530 on: 02 August, 2016, 11:25:43 am »

... which is exactly what it is called, Pride and Prejudice with Zombies.  If you dislike period drama, or zombie films, you'll probably hate this too, and I can't help wondering if the audience who likes both categories may be a bit small.  Still, in a rather oddly fascinated way, I enjoyed it.  Very BBC quality period filming and acting, with generally utterly deadpan lines concerning zombies, or subjects pertaining to them.

Quote from: Elizabeth Bennet
It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains.

It wasn't as bad as I feared, tbh, despite not (a) being a fan of period drama and (b) thinking zombies are about half as scary as baby badgers. Someone gave me the book because because 'it sounded like the kind of crap I'd come up with' (I really should get around to feeling offended more often) and I managed about a chapter before giving up on a joke that had got stale pretty much immediately. The film had a bit more verve and managed a modest B-grade zombie flick without the period drama accoutrement.

In other news – Star Trek: Beyond. Entertaining enough. I'd hate to see the insurance premiums on the Enterprise, must be more than a chavved-up Golf with a 17-year-old driver. Other than that, a pretty standard issue Star Trek formula. Bad guy, festering grudge, yadda yadda yadda. Like Star Wars, I do kind of wish they'd do something a bit different rather than retread what's gone before with a couple of different, younger characters

Suicide Squad next, when I get back from me hols. Sadly, no Jason Bourne on the IMAX for some reason.

« Reply #6531 on: 02 August, 2016, 07:10:19 pm »
... I'd hate to see the insurance premiums on the Enterprise, must be more than a chavved-up Golf with a 17-year-old driver. ...

To be fair, the Enterprise is essentially a military vessel, and I don't see Starfleet paying for a policy any more than HMG will be for the HMS Queen Liz.  Self-insuring is somewhat cheaper.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6532 on: 02 August, 2016, 07:14:33 pm »
... I'd hate to see the insurance premiums on the Enterprise, must be more than a chavved-up Golf with a 17-year-old driver. ...

To be fair, the Enterprise is essentially a military vessel, and I don't see Starfleet paying for a policy any more than HMG will be for the HMS Queen Liz.  Self-insuring is somewhat cheaper.

Plus, in the Trek universe, the insurance companies are clearly going to be operated by Ferengi.

« Reply #6533 on: 03 August, 2016, 08:06:37 am »
Sneakers

I refer to the post above.

Never gets old.

Thanks for the recommendation, we watched this on Sunday.

I've not heard of it before, and to be honest I would never have picked it from the bizarre casting: Robert Redford and Sidney Poitier as geeks WTF? But it turned out to be very good indeed.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #6534 on: 03 August, 2016, 09:20:28 am »
I don't Often get time to arch films but my current situation has given me quite a bit of time, so I've watched a few older films that I haven't seen for years - Mermaids and Mystic Pizza. It I've also recently watched Maleficent.  Originally I didn't want to see it, but as I had nothing else to do I put it on and was pleasantly surprised.  It was a great to spend a few hours while I was a bit brain dead.

« Reply #6535 on: 03 August, 2016, 09:57:31 am »
I was surprised by that one. Didn't expect much apart from eye candy, but it is a fairly good retelling of a trad fairy tale.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6536 on: 05 August, 2016, 11:15:00 am »

Plus, in the Trek universe, the insurance companies are clearly going to be operated by Ferengi.
Doesn't the Federation ethic of Unity mean no one is a fereng?  :D

Anyways, my verdict on the same film: Rock n roll saves the world!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6537 on: 05 August, 2016, 01:01:48 pm »

Our dogs' health insurance used to be with Generali, an Italian company - they're ferenghi, relative to France.

fuzzy

« Reply #6538 on: 08 August, 2016, 03:36:35 pm »
The Generals Daughter Starring John Travolta as a military investigator dealing with the murder of a serving captaion who is also the daughter of a respected general.

Twists and turns and not a bad film.

What I really enjoyed however was the music at the intro and end credits- a number of traditional (Southern U.S. sounding) songs. Very different and engaging.

« Reply #6539 on: 08 August, 2016, 04:06:27 pm »
Speed. Haven't seen it in ages. It hasn't aged well but I enjoyed though I did spend a good portion of the film yelling at the telly.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #6540 on: 08 August, 2016, 09:32:23 pm »
The Generals Daughter Starring John Travolta as a military investigator dealing with the murder of a serving captaion who is also the daughter of a respected general.

Twists and turns and not a bad film.

What I really enjoyed however was the music at the intro and end credits- a number of traditional (Southern U.S. sounding) songs. Very different and engaging.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myhnAZFR1po
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

ian

« Reply #6541 on: 09 August, 2016, 07:24:43 pm »
Keanu. I loved it. Best. Name. For. A. Kitten. Ever.

LA gangstas and a kitten. It's all you need to know. And my favourite joke of the year so far.

Midnight Special. A bit odd, part road movie, part ET for adults. Tried a little bit too hard for 'cult'. Not quite as good as Take Shelter, with the same lead (Michael Shannon) that I saw on another flight.

The lady in seat 70F really enjoyed 10 Cloverfield Lane it seemed, judging by the the gasps, occasionally oohs, and arms thrown in front of the face.

Oh, and Triple-9, US heist thriller thing. Entertaining enough if highly contrived. Also features Kate Winslet's East European Accent (to be fair to Ms Winslet, I don't recognise her till the end credits).

Probably some others. Plane movies have only a slippy hold on my memory.

fuzzy

« Reply #6542 on: 09 August, 2016, 08:42:09 pm »
Jason Bourne.

Followed the Boune formula as expected. An enjoyable film spoilt slightly by the shaky camera perspective which, for me works well for TV but is too much for the big screen.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6543 on: 10 August, 2016, 11:46:38 pm »

A single-gag film with surprisingly high production values.  Hordes of the unread don't do much to improve Austen's story, though.  Matt Smith's performance steals the show early on, leaving the second half about as compelling as the Sleepy Hollow TV series[1], which is to say, not very much.

(click to show/hide)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6544 on: 11 August, 2016, 07:39:06 am »
Top Gun - one of those films I thought I had already seen, but it turned out I had only seen the trailer - which does contain most of the story, and the rest you can get off the back of a cereal packet.

Only mildly nauseating, and the aircraft are nice.

ian

« Reply #6545 on: 11 August, 2016, 08:55:38 am »
Suicide Squad.

Enough tattoos that I expected to served a flat white at any moment (try any East London coffee shop, it seems de rigueur for anyone working there to have more tats than an LA gangbanger these days).

Another quite entertaining superhero romp where the heroes aren't so super. Will Smith seems to have stopped ageing about twenty years ago. He may be immortal. Like Nic Cage. Good god, that's an horrid thought, Nic Cage could be making movies quite literally forever.

For once, they kept the length modest (note that, X-Men) when it could have been a lot longer (plenty of exposition required, didn't leave much room for more than simple linear plot), but the result was well-paced even if it did feel like the introduction to another super-hero franchise. Could have probably handled a bit more humour in the script, there's something faintly ridiculous to all these movies and they tend to benefit from acknowledging it (come on, a man dressed as bat fighting crime – a bat! – not to mention the tendency to wear pants on the outside).

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6546 on: 11 August, 2016, 10:56:13 am »
Another quite entertaining superhero romp where the heroes aren't so super. Will Smith seems to have stopped ageing about twenty years ago. He may be immortal. Like Nic Cage. Good god, that's an horrid thought, Nic Cage could be making movies quite literally forever.

Ackshually, the Cage isn't a bad actor, he just appears in godawfully-directed godawful films. He escaped for a while and was bloody good in Spike Jones' Adaptation.

Kurt Russel, now, he makes me puke.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6547 on: 11 August, 2016, 12:31:20 pm »
Top Gun - one of those films I thought I had already seen, but it turned out I had only seen the trailer - which does contain most of the story, and the rest you can get off the back of a cereal packet.

I don't think I've seen it since I was about 10, and too young to appreciate the homoerotic subtext.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6548 on: 11 August, 2016, 12:35:24 pm »
Maybe the world hadn't been trained to look for it back then.

fuzzy

« Reply #6549 on: 11 August, 2016, 12:56:37 pm »

Ackshually, the Cage isn't a bad actor, he just appears in godawfully-directed godawful films. He escaped for a while and was bloody good in Spike Jones' Adaptation.

Kurt Russel, now, he makes me puke.

What?!?

Call me Snake?!?

Heretic.