Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 950222 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #6625 on: 18 September, 2016, 11:19:40 pm »
You'll never catch me bridgetting anywhere.

Watched Room tonight on blureray, superb film if slightly disturbing, the young boy was the star for me. The mother I think intentionally ambiguous and William h Macy's character given no screen room at all. That dimension would have added a lot to the film
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6626 on: 19 September, 2016, 09:57:31 am »
Winter in Wartime. Deutsch occupying Dutch, teenager caught up etc. Predictable, occasionally far-fetched but excellent acting, direction and general atmosphere. Liked it but would not re-watch.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Andrew

« Reply #6627 on: 19 September, 2016, 10:44:44 am »
Elysium - I'll say to you what should have been said to the film makers - just don't.  Jodie Foster and Matt Damon must have had loved ones held to ransom.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #6628 on: 19 September, 2016, 11:14:26 am »
I also went to see Bridget Jones Baby (wife's choice of movie). I enjoyed it, I even laughed at the Thatcher quote. I was the only person in the cinema to do so though. I did question why someone living in Southwark would be assigned a maternity unit in Camden, but had it explained to me how they're not assigned, and how you could pick a unit in Scotland if you so wished, and this was then followed up with a discussion on how Jones' care seemed to consultant rather than midwife led, whether or not she'd gone private, and whether or not this was due to the fact that she would be in a high risk group.

These are the very reasons why Mr Boutin happily waves me off for a girls night when ever Bridget films are on.  He's watched them on TV and even smiles that the weird overlaps, but then gets very angry at how Mark Darcy is more James Bond than Barrister.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6629 on: 19 September, 2016, 11:20:38 am »
Mmmm.  Lovely lovely Mark Darcy.
Milk please, no sugar.

lou boutin

« Reply #6630 on: 19 September, 2016, 11:24:01 am »

Yes and he's equally as scrummy in this one too.

« Reply #6631 on: 19 September, 2016, 03:18:47 pm »
You should get your other half to watch the Kingsmen, and use it to explain what Mr Darcy really does when he's overseas.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6632 on: 21 September, 2016, 12:34:33 am »
When Harry Met Sally...

Haven't seen this for yeeeeears but there was nothing else on and I was in the mood for some light entertainment... Wow. I'd forgotten what a bona fide classic this is. Very funny, razor sharp script and brilliant chemistry between the two leads, who are both first rate comic actors - not sure I've ever truly appreciated before just how good Meg Ryan is (and not just in that scene).
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #6633 on: 21 September, 2016, 11:24:27 am »
You should get your other half to watch the Kingsmen, and use it to explain what Mr Darcy really does when he's overseas.

Freudian link between 'other half' and 'Kingsmen'? 
Move Faster and Bake Things

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6634 on: 21 September, 2016, 02:01:19 pm »
Welcome to Woop Woop, a surreal movie that contains so many elements of reality about the Outback.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120491/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UewSBXKjyo
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6635 on: 21 September, 2016, 03:48:07 pm »
Don't try dancing with your cleats on yet, Dave.

« Reply #6636 on: 25 September, 2016, 09:47:45 pm »
Anthropoid.

A decent and reportedly faithful representation of some history that needs to be remembered. 

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6637 on: 25 September, 2016, 11:34:59 pm »

Oh, isn't he?  He's weathered extremely well and is still lovely lovely.

How come Bridge gets to shag two such beautiful men within a fortnight while I'm reduced to men who kiss ferrets?  Eh?  Eh?
Milk please, no sugar.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6638 on: 25 September, 2016, 11:40:37 pm »
The Lady in the Van

Not to be sniffed at.
It is simpler than it looks.

lou boutin

« Reply #6639 on: 26 September, 2016, 07:35:55 am »

Oh, isn't he?  He's weathered extremely well and is still lovely lovely.

How come Bridge gets to shag two such beautiful men within a fortnight while I'm reduced to men who kiss ferrets?  Eh?  Eh?

;D

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #6640 on: 26 September, 2016, 12:51:51 pm »
Suffragette.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

lou boutin

« Reply #6641 on: 26 September, 2016, 07:39:57 pm »

« Reply #6642 on: 01 October, 2016, 02:49:10 pm »
Sharknado 3

This one was even sillier than the first two.  It has a lot less obvious cameos than the second film, which was good since there were a lot of barely recognisable USA faces when they did that.  It does, however, have David Hasselhoff almost playing a sensible character.  Along with sharks in space and a laser "chainsaw", as well as the President of the United States fighting sharks beside Fin, it's as insanely ludicrous as you would expect. ;D

Great stuff. :thumbsup:
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #6643 on: 01 October, 2016, 02:58:01 pm »
Alice Through The Looking Glass

This disc isn't actually released until Monday, but the Royal Mail delivered it to me unusually efficiently!

Even though the critics didn't seem to think much of it, I thought it was as good as Alice in Wonderland, which I enjoyed.

It doesn't follow Lewis Caroll very closely, but certainly has some zaniness about it.  The Hatter (aka Johnny Depp) wasn't quite as mad as his previous incarnation, almost behaving sensibly on occasion, but was still quite good.  Time, who I failed to realise was played by Sacha Baron Cohen, was original and amusing.  They also filled in some of the back story of the characters, which was a nice tough.

I didn't realise that it was Alan Rickman's very last film, but he did the deadpan Absolem very well, again.

Clearly not a deeply meaningful and thoughtful work, but fun to watch, and obviously some spectacular special effects.

fuzzy

« Reply #6644 on: 01 October, 2016, 11:07:19 pm »
A long overdue return visit to Leon. An ace film with Gary Oldman doing the mad mad bad bit really well, Jean Reno at his finest and a damn fine performance from an pickle Natalie Portman.

This film is 22 years old for Dogs sake!

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #6645 on: 02 October, 2016, 01:16:03 pm »
Sully. Totally false depiction of a hostile NTSB investigation that never happened that way, but a very sympathetic view of the stresses the man went through after the Hudson water landing. A good watch, overall.

ETA: they actually went to some effort to get the inflight sequences accurate, and mostly succeeded.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6646 on: 02 October, 2016, 02:01:40 pm »
A long overdue return visit to Leon. An ace film with Gary Oldman doing the mad mad bad bit really well, Jean Reno at his finest and a damn fine performance from an pickle Natalie Portman.

This film is 22 years old for Dogs sake!

Haven't seen that for years. We had it on VHS but knew it so well we never bought a DVD of it.

Don't see enough of Jean Reno these days. Last thing I saw him in was that 90s remake of Godzilla .

« Reply #6647 on: 04 October, 2016, 10:38:37 am »
Deepwater Horizon.

based on events six years ago when the oil rig leased by BP went haywire.  Eleven people died.  Apportionment of blame has kept lawyers busy ever since.

Contains heroes and villains, huge bangs, crashes, flames and dramatic rescuing going on.  BP comes off worst with emphasis on meeting deadlines taking precedence over safety - quite believable but BP can't have been the only ones.

The most dangerous job in the world they say, and if this film is reasonably accurate I wouldn't argue with that. 

« Reply #6648 on: 04 October, 2016, 11:00:01 am »
Don't see enough of Jean Reno these days. Last thing I saw him in was that 90s remake of Godzilla .

I wondered where I'd last "seen" him in a film, and it was as the voice of 'Le Frog' in Flushed Away !

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6649 on: 04 October, 2016, 11:35:47 am »
Deepwater Horizon.

based on events six years ago when the oil rig leased by BP went haywire.  Eleven people died.  Apportionment of blame has kept lawyers busy ever since.

Contains heroes and villains, huge bangs, crashes, flames and dramatic rescuing going on.  BP comes off worst with emphasis on meeting deadlines taking precedence over safety - quite believable but BP can't have been the only ones.

The most dangerous job in the world they say, and if this film is reasonably accurate I wouldn't argue with that.

Let me guess: the film-makers were keen to emphasise the "BRITISH" in "BP", failed to note that the rig was operated by a USAnian outfit to USAnian safety standards (one expert at the time said the incident couldn't have happened if North Sea-stylee safety standards were in place) and glossed over both the rig having brought in a new and very colossal field in the Gulf of Mexico the previous year and the insatiable desire of USAnia for petroleum products that made it necessary in the first place.

At least, that was the impression I got while on the Gulf Coast in 2012.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime