Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 950364 times)

ian

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #6950 on: 23 January, 2017, 10:40:35 am »
I thought The Revenant was dull and self indulgent. Far too much crawling. The only real star was the scenery.

I think someone, it might have been me, described it as thirty minutes of plot squeezed into a mere two and half hours of movie. I stand by that. Oh look a tree.

« Reply #6951 on: 23 January, 2017, 10:45:07 am »
Rubber - an abandoned car tyre becomes sentient, discover it possesses psionic powers and goes on a murderous rampage. Good fun for the first two thirds but peters out a bit towards the end. Don't think they quite knew how to wrap it up.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6952 on: 23 January, 2017, 10:45:19 am »
I do hope you saw it on a BIG screen Pollers! It really takes you through a wealth of emotions doesn't it.

Watched The Big Short on Saturday. Very well acted and watchable but, as to understanding how easy(?) or convoluted bankers were able to manipulate mortgages, bonds, insurance in the Sub Prime Mortgage scandal, seemed to be like watching and following  a card trick performed right in front of your eyes.

Apparently, after all the deceit and fraud, only one banker was jailed.

Aye well, the Goldman Sachs banker largely behind the 2008 collapse is DT's new Secy. of the Treasury. Name like Munchkin.  Happy days are here again.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6953 on: 23 January, 2017, 10:47:48 am »
I thought The Revenant was dull and self indulgent. Far too much crawling. The only real star was the scenery.

I think someone, it might have been me, described it as thirty minutes of plot squeezed into a mere two and half hours of movie. I stand by that. Oh look a tree.
It's brilliant. I rather enjoyed the "plot", but frankly I'd pay to watch a 2-1/2hour scenery edit; that would be stunning enough on its won.

Watch it on a big screen if you can  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6954 on: 23 January, 2017, 10:54:15 am »
OT: searching for "Revenant" - with the fantastic YACF Search - finds this:

The latest Star Wars (can't remember its subtitle)

Enjoyed it actually and so won't go through disassembling/cutting it to ribbons, but I did say, as an aside to my wife, "He does a lot of panting doesn't he," with reference to Finn.

… and before going to see it, I just could not get the Raiders of the Lost Ark theme tune out of my head!! "Dah-dah-da, dah-da-darrr! (add more da-darrs)

???  ???  ???
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #6955 on: 23 January, 2017, 11:07:19 am »

It's brilliant. I rather enjoyed the "plot", but frankly I'd pay to watch a 2-1/2hour scenery edit; that would be stunning enough on its won.

It was a DVD I got for Christmas so no big screen (well a 40inch TV isn't considered big these days).
I was quietly amused by both the accuracy and reliability of the muskets though.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6956 on: 23 January, 2017, 11:16:44 am »
I was quietly amused by both the accuracy and reliability of the muskets though.

In case you missed it, there was a discussion upthread about welding that you might enjoy:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6884.msg2125664#msg2125664
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #6957 on: 23 January, 2017, 11:25:43 am »

It was a DVD I got for Christmas so no big screen (well a 40inch TV isn't considered big these days).

I've read the book. A large part of the book plot is about the main character owning a fancy, reliable accurate gun and a nasty sh!t wanting to steal it from him. Most of the rest of them have crappy guns that really don't work very well.
When the main character survives, the unique appearance of this gun (it having fancy silverwork) enables the main character to try tracking the nasty sh!t down.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #6958 on: 23 January, 2017, 11:46:31 am »
OT: searching for "Revenant" - with the fantastic YACF Search - finds this:

The latest Star Wars (can't remember its subtitle)

Enjoyed it actually and so won't go through disassembling/cutting it to ribbons, but I did say, as an aside to my wife, "He does a lot of panting doesn't he," with reference to Finn.

… and before going to see it, I just could not get the Raiders of the Lost Ark theme tune out of my head!! "Dah-dah-da, dah-da-darrr! (add more da-darrs)

???  ???  ???

Rogue One.
Just remembered! Hope that's cleared up any confusion Matt.  :)
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #6959 on: 23 January, 2017, 12:26:55 pm »
Rubber - an abandoned car tyre becomes sentient, discover it possesses psionic powers and goes on a murderous rampage. Good fun for the first two thirds but peters out a bit towards the end. Don't think they quite knew how to wrap it up.
I watched this a couple of years ago and enjoyed it very much. I think Ian might like it.

(click to show/hide)
That sounds quite good!
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6960 on: 23 January, 2017, 01:16:46 pm »

Rogue One.
Yes, thankyou, BUT;

it's got nothing to do with the Revenant, so I didn't want it in my search results! :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Riggers

« Reply #6961 on: 23 January, 2017, 01:20:07 pm »

Rogue One.
Yes, thankyou, BUT;

it's got nothing to do with the Revenant, so I didn't want it in my search results! :)

Cock. Yes, I see your predicament. It's a pickle isn't it?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6962 on: 23 January, 2017, 01:31:12 pm »
"Local Hero". Haven't watched in years, but still remembered most of the lines. Was under strict instructions not to say any of them before they were voiced on screen.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #6963 on: 23 January, 2017, 05:55:18 pm »
"Local Hero". Haven't watched in years, but still remembered most of the lines. Was under strict instructions not to say any of them before they were voiced on screen.

That reminds me of trying to watch the Life of Brian in halls when I was a student.  :facepalm:

'No quotes!' had to be ordered within about 3 seconds of it starting.

It's a reverse Elvis thing.

ian

« Reply #6964 on: 23 January, 2017, 06:10:46 pm »
I watched this a couple of years ago and enjoyed it very much. I think Ian might like it.

(click to show/hide)
That sounds quite good!

My description does actually make it seem quite a lot better than it was. Anyway, if anyone from Hollywood is reading this, I've got a first draft for Zombie Dinopocalypse [working title]. Unearthed zombie dinosaurs rampage. It's pretty ace. I should maybe email it to Michael Bay and Roland Emmerich.

In other news I finally remembered to watch Spectral (I slept through the first attempt, but was a more due to the fact I'd had a few glasses of magic sleeping potion in the pub earlier). Now that I liked. Ninja-engineer saved the day with some splendidly made-up science, all rendered with some quite reasonable CGI.

« Reply #6965 on: 23 January, 2017, 06:11:51 pm »

Rogue One.
Yes, thankyou, BUT;

Cock. Yes, I see your predicament. It's a pickle isn't it?

No, no, I'm a Pickle.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

caerau

« Reply #6966 on: 23 January, 2017, 10:47:47 pm »
You may have been being facetious but can I pedantically point out the there was no character called Finn in Rogue One.

The Force Awakens however...

Riggers

« Reply #6967 on: 24 January, 2017, 10:50:33 am »
You may have been being facetious but can I pedantically point out the there was no character called Finn in Rogue One.

The Force Awakens however...

Really? I'm losing it then.

caerau

« Reply #6968 on: 24 January, 2017, 10:57:56 am »
Indeed

Rogue One - stealing plans to blow up the Death Star - no major old characters - well except Vader and Tarkin  (C3PO and R2D2 briefly along with CGI'd young Leia)

The Force Awakens, Han Solo, Chewy, Leia, C3PO, R2D2 (I think those last two were in it - been a while now) - and new characters Finn (reformed stormtrooper) and er... wow-  I've forgotten the leading lady's name  :-[

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #6969 on: 24 January, 2017, 12:49:05 pm »
Here's what Tom Hardy had to say about The Revenant:

"hrrrmmm...brrgh....mumble...mmmmmbb-bbrrrmmrrdd..hhrum...mumble..mumble.."

Quite different from his summary of his role as Bane in "Dark Knight" where he said:

"woooarrr.....rarrhhhr.....mumble....something about pain...roaaarrr...warrrrrr"
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #6970 on: 24 January, 2017, 12:58:08 pm »
Eye in the Sky.

Alan Rickman's last film - not bad, thought provoking look at issues involved re. 'collateral damage'.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #6971 on: 24 January, 2017, 01:50:15 pm »
Here's what Tom Hardy had to say about The Revenant:

"hrrrmmm...brrgh....mumble...mmmmmbb-bbrrrmmrrdd..hhrum...mumble..mumble.."

Quite different from his summary of his role as Bane in "Dark Knight" where he said:

"woooarrr.....rarrhhhr.....mumble....something about pain...roaaarrr...warrrrrr"

That's funny. Pcolbeck Junior's girlfriend and Mrs Pcolbeck made me turn on subtitles as they couldn't understand a thing Tom Hardy said.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

red marley

« Reply #6972 on: 24 January, 2017, 05:58:55 pm »
Just saw La La Land, really enjoyed it albeit not much substance.
"not much substance" ??

I can't wait to hear your reviews of the other two  ;D

I really enjoyed LaLaLand. But N enjoyed it even more, she was high as a kite [in the Mary Poppins way] :)
The issue for me was the songs - I've never enjoyed musicals that don't have killer songs, and only a few do. With the right songs I am as happy watching a musical as anyone.
These songs were perfectly OK, just not great. WITHOUT the songs it would have been a really nice movie anyway!

I saw this over the weekend.

Awful.

Just awful.

No really. Just awful.

(and not in a good way).

I wish I could do an eloquently entertaining Ian-style rant but I lack the craft (like the film makers). After the opening scene, which was a hair's breadth away from "Hey! Let's put on a show!" I was thinking, when is the irony going to kick in?  It didn't. And from then onwards it was downhill. I'd file this one in the same folder as "Frozen" - deeply reactionary escapism that would have seemed out of date in the 1950s. Gendered and racial stereotypes abound; American dream tosh.

No doubt it will win a pile of Oscars.

Riggers

« Reply #6973 on: 25 January, 2017, 09:23:03 am »
Thanks Jo. I'm seeing it tomorrow evening. Starts at 9pm. The cinema seats are very comfy and, seeing as I keep falling asleep on the sofa around this time, I might be in trouble!

« Reply #6974 on: 25 January, 2017, 11:09:31 am »
Eye in the Sky.

Alan Rickman's last film - not bad, thought provoking look at issues involved re. 'collateral damage'.

Actually, his last film appears to have been "Alice Through the Looking Glass", that was released after "Eye in the Sky".
Actually, it is rocket science.