Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 950515 times)

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #7475 on: 30 September, 2017, 10:03:09 am »
La Ringwald did turn up as Fran in the otherwise surprisingly unshit "miniseries" of The Stand, which was a terrible piece of casting if ever I saw one.

My mention of the Stand seven posts before yours is what started the Mollython...
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #7476 on: 01 October, 2017, 07:56:53 pm »
IT.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Steph

« Reply #7477 on: 01 October, 2017, 09:55:14 pm »
IT.

The original Tim Curry version is a fave. Is this one up to the mark?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #7478 on: 02 October, 2017, 02:21:30 am »
Well, it's the first of two. Rather than jumping backwards and forwards, it just does the children's part, and they'll do the adult part as a sequel. Some changes from the book, only one of which pissed me off
(
(click to show/hide)
), good performances from the child actors, excellent scary Pennywise, and lots of jump-scares but nothing to keep me awake.

We all float down here.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7479 on: 02 October, 2017, 08:43:49 am »
Just finished watching a Spanish serial called Apaches. Rather good if predictable in parts. Nice long episodes, usually ~75 minutes - much more satisfying than the usual 45 mins that are left from a US hour of TV once you cut the ads out.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #7480 on: 02 October, 2017, 09:54:53 am »
La Ringwald did turn up as Fran in the otherwise surprisingly unshit "miniseries" of The Stand, which was a terrible piece of casting if ever I saw one.

My mention of the Stand seven posts before yours is what started the Mollython...

Every time you say Molly you simply press my reset button. Stop it.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7481 on: 02 October, 2017, 10:24:07 am »
Every time I see Ringwald I think Larry Niven.

ian

« Reply #7482 on: 02 October, 2017, 10:41:25 am »
That'd be possibly the weirdest sexual fantasy ever. I certainly wouldn't publicise it on the internet.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7483 on: 02 October, 2017, 12:54:11 pm »
Maybe a few judicious quotation marks would help.

ian

« Reply #7484 on: 02 October, 2017, 01:06:09 pm »
To be honest, I muddled up David Niven. But I don't think that's any better. Marginally worse, I suppose, as he's dead.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7485 on: 02 October, 2017, 01:22:42 pm »
Whisky Galore (II)

It was a quiet unassuming film, for a windy night round the fire. Didn't develop fast, had not much of a middle and ended quietly.

It reminded me of the Dad's Army film.
It is simpler than it looks.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #7486 on: 02 October, 2017, 03:20:53 pm »
Alien Covenant

Probably the 3rd best in the series* but feck knows what's going on.  It was just one good script-writer away from being very good.

Ridley has got himself in above his head with this whole "who created who?" theme.  It was better when it was just "a bug hunt".

*Obviously there's a huge gap between 2nd place and 3rd place whichever way you look at it.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Steph

« Reply #7487 on: 02 October, 2017, 11:30:40 pm »
I will just say that the conversation above regarding Molly, Niven, Ringworld etc had me crying with laughter. Thank you all for examples of why I love this site.

Now, I have just finished a real serendipitous find, "Free State of Jones". Beautifully shot, intelligently written, well acted and emotionally eviscerating. As a counterpoise to the alt.right 'some really fine people' it is  a must see.

ian

« Reply #7488 on: 03 October, 2017, 09:19:23 am »
Alien Covenant

Probably the 3rd best in the series* but feck knows what's going on.  It was just one good script-writer away from being very good.

Ridley has got himself in above his head with this whole "who created who?" theme.  It was better when it was just "a bug hunt".

*Obviously there's a huge gap between 2nd place and 3rd place whichever way you look at it.

Yes, but 'huge gap' is like saying Andromeda is a long bus ride away. There should be a law, one sequel only. Is there a movie franchise that hasn't plummeted off a cinematic cliff after the sequel* (if they get that far, plenty enough sequels are awful)? I did watch the first four before Covenant and Aliens3 was mostly a bland, contrived re-run of Aliens that unforgivably immediately killed off Hicks and stacked the cast with characters that no one cared about (a theme that came back in the most recent reprises). Whatever the fourth was called, it was a eminently forgettable mess.

What I can't get my head around in the most recent is the characters: they're dumb, then they're dumber, then they get dumber still, and – worse – they do their dumb stuff for no apparent reason. I'm going to take my helmet off now.

In other news: Dan Brown has a new book out! Oh, the awesomes.

*OK, honorary mention to Die Hard, I did like the first four, the fifth on the other hand, good god.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7489 on: 03 October, 2017, 09:39:15 am »
I hesitate to admit it, but last night Mrs. T42 & yrs. trly. scraped the barrel of the bottom and watched a couple of episodes of "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries", which is like tales from The People's Friend with an Ozzie accent. Apart from the daft crap we expected, they had the usual tired Tiger Moths flitting about in 1929 when the first flight of same was in 1931, but even better (i.e. worse) was a grandfather clock with the appropriate tick...tock foleyed in but "QUARZ" emblazoned on the dial.

« Reply #7490 on: 03 October, 2017, 10:21:26 am »
On Sunday we went to see the UK premier of a new Japanese anime, "The night is short, walk on girl" at the ICA. It's about a young girl in Kyoto who drinks her way through one night encountering all kinds of wierdos. Beyond surreal, it was utterly bonkers, but an alternative form of entertainment. At least I could recognise many of the locations, the only shred of reality about it!

Steph

« Reply #7491 on: 03 October, 2017, 05:04:58 pm »
Ian, that is my unfortunate shout at so many films these days: "Why are you being so STUPID???"

Famously, Planet of the Apes (original) was such a success that the producers asked for a sequel, but with the rider "One that can't possibly have a third part". They understood the process that produces films like "Brothers of the cousins of the sons of the friends of the Magnificent Seven ride again, III", and the scriptwriter promptly gave them the utterly terminal 'Beneath  the PotA".

It made a lot of money, and the producers reconsidered their plans for a third film. Result? Exactly as predicted.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #7492 on: 03 October, 2017, 07:13:03 pm »
Ian, that is my unfortunate shout at so many films these days: "Why are you being so STUPID???"

It's a well known fact that nobody in a horror film has never seen a horror film.

Surely Astronauts venturing into deep space would have watched Alien and Aliens, they were made in the 70s and 80s.

ian

« Reply #7493 on: 03 October, 2017, 07:54:52 pm »
That's true. I am well prepared for most things. But then I have a trapdoor to Hell in my hallway, several friends in literally low places down there, and I know where all the vampires live (Purley, if you've been to the Wetherspoons you'll know where they got the idea for the Titty Twister bar in From Dusk till Dawn, well, if the vampires were more suburban which they mostly are).

But yes, it's not just the stupid, it's the doing things for no good reason. I'm taking my helmet off because the plot says I should. There's no reason for it, there's no motivation. There's lots of reasons why you shouldn't. I mean, seriously, Prince could come back from the dead and do a free concert in the Hollywood Bowl, and there's more reasons for not taking your fucking helmet off on an alien world than their would be audience queuing. I mean seriously at least think of an excuse. Maybe have your character trip up and smash his helmet, have an air supply fault, have the spores eat through the suit seals, some contrivance that isn't just stupid. It's full of shit like that. It's a bit like Dan Brown to be honest, were the characters run around for no other reason than the plot tells them too. They have no agency of their own. It's just sloppy and it annoys me because they're taking the piss. If a character ever escapes from a Dan Brown book the first thing they'd do would do would be murder Dan Brown with a copy of one of his own books. Sophia Langoustine, the athletically blonde art dealer, loomed silhouetted over Brown, the writer of over ten books including the bestselling Da Vinci Code. She grinned a wicked smile on her face as she forced a copy of the oversized tome down his choking throat.

"That's for making run around Europe with some halfwit as nothing other than a dumb plot cypher in your stupid books,"
she said coldly with her blue eyes.

Same in Prometheus. The crew are supposed to be scientists. Having travelled across the galaxy, two of them immediately want to go back to the ship because they're scared of the dark. Then they get lost for no reason at all. And then they're tickling a weird penis alien because that's not scary at all. I run away from giant penises. Even if they're not alien. Then they turned into monsters. All just because.

It's probably a good thing I didn't notice James Cameron and Sigourney Weaver walk past me the other month. We'd still be having this conversation. Or as they'd likely call it, a 'hostage situation.'

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #7494 on: 03 October, 2017, 08:16:49 pm »
Well I definitely never look right into giant pulsing eggs any more.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7495 on: 03 October, 2017, 08:19:44 pm »
I was briefly hoping that the success of The Martian had raised the bar for Hollywood (and particularly Ridley Scott) scifi making sense, but if you consider the film version in isolation, an awful lot of it doesn't.  To the point where some of the dialogue flat out contradicts what's happening on screen.

There's predictably little horror in TVTropes list for Genre Savvy, presumably because once you remove the tropes from a horror movie, there isn't much left.

ian

« Reply #7496 on: 03 October, 2017, 08:27:08 pm »
Oh don't get me going on The Martian.

I think I'd like to read a book that features Sophia Langoustine. What does she do next after escaping from the dungeons of Dan Brown prose? I think she's going to be busy.

Steph

« Reply #7497 on: 03 October, 2017, 08:46:05 pm »
She'll feel like she's prawn again.

« Reply #7498 on: 03 October, 2017, 08:55:51 pm »
Going on a krilling spree?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7499 on: 04 October, 2017, 07:57:23 am »
Same in Prometheus. The crew are supposed to be scientists. Having travelled across the galaxy, two of them immediately want to go back to the ship because they're scared of the dark. Then they get lost for no reason at all. And then they're tickling a weird penis alien because that's not scary at all. I run away from giant penises. Even if they're not alien. Then they turned into monsters. All just because.

They watched the training video

https://youtu.be/yFYmv6t_Xyg

(Olden goldie but still, well, pinchbeck at least.)