Author Topic: Morris Audaxes, Sept 9th 2023, start near Lechlade  (Read 10560 times)

alfapete

• Oh dear
Re: Morris Audaxes, start near Lechlade
« Reply #25 on: 01 September, 2021, 05:27:02 pm »
You can buy your ECE perm entry here: https://aukweb.net/forms/diycards.php?action=login&isece=y
That link doesn't work for me, it takes me back to where Peat's getting stuck. Perhaps something's broken somewhere
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #26 on: 01 September, 2021, 05:34:57 pm »
The purchase brevet link on this page is working for me. However you do need to be logged on to use it, so check you have logged in first, that might be causing the issue?

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #27 on: 01 September, 2021, 05:43:32 pm »
As per bhoot's point, if logged into the AUK website this is what you should see:

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #28 on: 01 September, 2021, 05:52:06 pm »
Sorry for missing the elephant in the room - Peat may be a non-member and DIY's (which ECE's are) are not available to non-members - there's the explanation!

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
« Reply #29 on: 01 September, 2021, 06:11:54 pm »
Sorry for missing the elephant in the room - Peat may be a non-member and DIY's (which ECE's are) are not available to non-members - there's the explanation!

they are; just not through the new website as it requires a login and also it won't be able to homologate the 2 rides into 1. Peat have you tried going to the calendar page for the event and clicking the "ECE this event" button? That's what almost everyone does

Martin

« Reply #30 on: 01 September, 2021, 06:27:58 pm »

Snot that, i'm afraid.

Member since 2017. Current one runs out Dec 21.

« Reply #31 on: 01 September, 2021, 06:29:55 pm »
I'm logged in, but I still get the screen I attached.

This is obviously something bogus between AUK and my account, so I'll peruse it through them.

Sorry for dragging you all into it.

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
« Reply #32 on: 01 September, 2021, 06:46:02 pm »
Peat; in the meantime you can enter the ECE direct by emailing me a GPX and crossing my palm with PayPal  :thumbsup:

« Reply #33 on: 01 September, 2021, 09:34:40 pm »
Peat; in the meantime you can enter the ECE direct by emailing me a GPX and crossing my palm with PayPal  :thumbsup:

And this sort of help/flexibility is one of the cool things about AUK  :thumbsup:

Good luck Peat, see you all on the 11th  :thumbsup:

« Reply #34 on: 02 September, 2021, 09:47:15 am »
Thanks all,

Dave at AUK found that my 'new' audax.uk profile wasn't talking to the back-end profile at aukweb. All sorted now, it seems.

The last event i entered was the Poor Student 2020, which shows up correctly -  so i'm assuming that must have been before the website switch and that this issue has always existed for me with the new site, undiscovered until this week.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #35 on: 02 September, 2021, 07:58:24 pm »
In.
(So that's 3 of us riding over from the conurbation to the East)
Might ECE, might not be arsed, might not have the persistence and fortitude displayed by young Master Peat  :-\

2019 was lovely!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #36 on: 04 September, 2021, 11:52:02 am »
Morris Minor is now FULL I'm afraid.

But there are a few places left on the Major - closing date for entries is Monday.

« Reply #37 on: 10 September, 2021, 09:09:35 am »
All local roads for me this one, doing it on my fixed which may see me walking out of Great Rissington 😬

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #38 on: 10 September, 2021, 08:00:37 pm »
Car all loaded up for the morning.
SO many cakes - I think we may have over catered....

« Reply #39 on: 10 September, 2021, 08:06:48 pm »
Definitely not going to make it, unfortunately...so have a great ride everyone, and hope it runs smoothly

« Reply #40 on: 10 September, 2021, 08:29:04 pm »
Car all loaded up for the morning.
SO many cakes - I think we may have over catered....
Sounds like a challenge  :)

« Reply #41 on: 11 September, 2021, 06:54:11 pm »
Well the only place I walked was just out of Snowhill when I got baulked by a huge horse lorry, other than that just a few grovels.

Great chili at the finish and a lovely route.

« Reply #42 on: 12 September, 2021, 11:04:06 am »
Had a great time on the 223km Morris Major event yesterday finishing just as it turned dark.  Ideal weather as not quite needing either the rain coat or the sun cream.  A bike really is the best way to appreciate all those many picture-perfect villages around the area (and the hills, though didn't really appreciate the ones at the end too much).  Great catering too - thanks particularly to the cake bakers.

e-brevet worked well too (though completed the card version too as a back up and for a souvenir)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #43 on: 12 September, 2021, 04:12:36 pm »
Two editions, perfect weather!
Excellent food again, and what a delightful route the 100 is.
Fraid I only managed ~95 miles for the day, but some of them were v hilly, so I slept well!

Well done Pete and team 👍
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #44 on: 12 September, 2021, 04:54:07 pm »
What a great event, lovely villages & scenery (even though the first half felt a bit too scenic in places 🤣).  Peter & the other volunteers put on a great feast and a friendly welcome - spot on!

I had a gentle ride to the start, picking up a friend who I’m trying to get back into Audaxing after an accident a few years ago, he wasn’t ready for 100k yet & rode to the start + about 20k where he was picked up to go home.  I met up with another friend Gareth who I’d talked into his first event  :thumbsup:

Setting off heeding the warning of pot holes etc & then boom - Gareth had a pinch flat.  Tube changed without much drama & on to some hill-grinding, made all the more pleasurable with nice views and limited traffic.

Not far from Winchcome & pop - Gareth had another puncture, this time a thorn.  Fixed & onwards, just before snowshill & bang he had a pinch flat on the other wheel!  All tyres were newish gatorskins & seemed well inflated, i pulled out my spare tube & a co2 cartridge I’ve carried for years in case of tubeless problems - a blast of that into both wheels to make sure it didn’t happen again  ;D

We got to snowshill with 30mins to spare, greated well & bowled me over with a CHOICE of gluten free cakes!  Amazing, I took some samples  :thumbsup:

After that the route got easier, we had a long stop in Bourton-on-the-Water for food amid the tourists.  Before pushing on. 

It took a monsterously long time 7hrs? to get back to the finish, but what a delight to be fed, and gluten free bread!  Since my body decided violently that it couldn’t tolerate gluten nearly 3 years ago I’ve been more reluctant to audax for fear of limited options - but not on this event!

I helped myself to seconds, discussed the likely time limit on my ECE, and persuaded Gareth it was time to head off, I had 60k to cover & the clock was ticking.  Heading back to Swindon with Gareth in tow, then turning back to Abingdon on my own I got my head down & pushed hard with a tail wind I got back in just under 13hrs - all came good in the end  :thumbsup:

I’ll be back for future helpings, either of the 1 or 200 - thanks again for a great day out

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #45 on: 13 September, 2021, 09:08:55 am »
Lovely ride - thanks to Pete and family for organising.
Second time for me and enjoyed it both times. The Coln valley on the way out through the Cotswolds is just perfect cycling country (thanks to 3peaker for introducing it to me on his Andoversford audaxes). Nearly had an off through the first Ford, I know I shouldn't cycle through them, thought it looked benign but was like being on ice.  After dropping off the Cotswold escarpment to Broadway the terrain flattened out for the best part of 100km but still nice quite roads. The route back over the Cotswolds is tough but really pleased to have got up the climb out of Chipping Campden, 3rd time I've had a go on fixed and first time I made it up with considerable tacking. Two climbs after Bourton on the Water and then a very pleasant gradual downhill for the last 10-15km to the finish and some (very) spicy bean chilli  :) :thumbsup:

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #46 on: 25 August, 2022, 08:42:28 am »
2022 version of these events is on September 10th.

The 100km follows the same route as before but we've modified the 200 a little to avoid the stretch on the Fosseway which was a fast road, and it's even saved a km or two.

Same beautiful scenery, picturesque villages, cakes at Snowshill and hot food at the end. But there might be less chilli powder involved (gross miscalculation last time but very few objections).

The 100 is proving very popular this time but a few more entries on the 200 would be welcome - just over a week till the closing date.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
Re: New Event: Morris Audaxes, start near Lechlade
« Reply #47 on: 25 August, 2022, 10:31:45 am »
Kelmscott is the only place I've ever stopped riding mid-audax (it was a DIY) to watch a steamroller trundle past. Very noisy, as much from the iron roller as the steam engine, but quite an impressive site (and even slower than me).

I've had a similar experience along that road, not just one steam engine and a whole succession, driving along burning coal. It was such a relief to now the climate crisis had been solved and we can afford to burn coal just for fun again.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #48 on: 25 August, 2022, 04:38:15 pm »
2022 version of these events is on September 10th.

The 100km follows the same route as before but we've modified the 200 a little to avoid the stretch on the Fosseway which was a fast road, and it's even saved a km or two.

Same beautiful scenery, picturesque villages, cakes at Snowshill and hot food at the end. But there might be less chilli powder involved (gross miscalculation last time but very few objections).

The 100 is proving very popular this time but a few more entries on the 200 would be welcome - just over a week till the closing date.

I'm booked on the 200km - looking forward to the food!

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Re: New Event: Morris Audaxes, start near Lechlade
« Reply #49 on: 25 August, 2022, 05:39:12 pm »
Quote from: Wycombewheeler
...not just one steam engine and a whole succession, driving along burning coal. It was such a relief to now the climate crisis had been solved and we can afford to burn coal just for fun again.
This is the Cotswolds.  It's rammed full of Yahs* who own umpteen litre fuel guzzling wankpanzers chucking out $deity knows how much pollution and even the shepherds' huts on wheels in their "gardens" have their own wood-burning stoves doing their bit to bump up atmospheric crap levels.   So we're really not going to worry about the odd half dozen traction engines here or there on the rare occasions they turn up, especially as they're a good deal less frequent visitors than the B-52s  at Fairford (they're back again, turned up a day or so ago) the exhaust from which make the average traction engine look like a rank amateur in the pollution creation stakes. And then there's Biggles and his mates over at Brize stooging round most days in an assortment of Hercules, C-17s, A400-Ms and A330-Ms.  Now, if we could work out a way for the USAF to be able to bomb the crap out of people using bicycles and some way for own dear RAF to do their heavy lifting likewise then we might start to worry about a handful of traction engines.

*As well as peasants like me who drive marginally less polluting, but still polluting, small euroboxen.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου