tried a 'bent, looking to buy one
3 (4.8%)
tried a 'bent, bought one,  but sold it, and didn't get another
8 (12.7%)
tried a .'bent, liked it, bought one, and ride it occasionally
8 (12.7%)
tried a 'bent , bought one, ride it 40/60 - 50/50 with DF
4 (6.3%)
tried a 'bent, bought one, almost replaces DF. ride it most of all.
6 (9.5%)
obsessed with all things 'bent
2 (3.2%)
ride a 'bent because not feasible/possible to ride DF
3 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Voting closed: 16 February, 2020, 01:38:32 pm

Author Topic: Recumbent vs DF poll  (Read 3837 times)

Re: Recumbent vs DF poll
« Reply #25 on: 17 January, 2020, 08:51:52 pm »
In this context I took DF to mean Upwrong.

I don't know where I stand - I built a recumbent trike, but I've barely ridden it and I'm not convinced I like it. On the other hand, I'd like a go at some recumbent bikes (and I'm still obsessed with the Windcheetah)...

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #26 on: 17 January, 2020, 08:55:23 pm »

Me - I see the photos and videos and it sure looks like a major portion of the view from a bent is thrashing kneecaps and feet.  How does that impression compare with reality?

that's a strange one,  as on a DF one never sees  any leg movement, I too think the videos look odd.

Phil W

« Reply #27 on: 17 January, 2020, 09:16:40 pm »
I went for #2, "but interested" although at only about a 10% level.

College friend went to bents decades ago, loves them.

Me - I see the photos and videos and it sure looks like a major portion of the view from a bent is thrashing kneecaps and feet.  How does that impression compare with reality?

Nothing like it. Videos are often shot below the bars and get the feet in, partly to say look I’m in my bent.  The view is above the bars and ahead and up to the sky. Much better than DF view where your staring at the road a lot in the head down position.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 17 January, 2020, 09:47:55 pm »

On the really laid back ones, yes (to the point that it can be difficult to make sense of potholes and debris before they disappear under the boom).  In a more upright position of a typical touring-oriented 'bent your view is mostly of where you're going, rather than the bit of ground immediately in front of your wheel as it tends to be on all but the most sit-up-and-beg uprights.

The other view issue is that it's hard to turn your head more than 90 degrees to the side when you're reclined in a seat, hence most recumbent riders use mirrors.  (With a few exceptions, most recumbents have better places to attach mirrors to than drop-barred uprights.)

« Reply #29 on: 17 January, 2020, 10:43:54 pm »
Needs a “but haven’t turned 50 yet” option.

« Reply #30 on: 18 January, 2020, 12:42:08 am »
Tried a bent loved it but the shed is not big enough . Not with an up wrong trike in there .   
Its More Fun With Three .

network.ned

« Reply #31 on: 18 January, 2020, 06:17:25 am »
Tried a bent (trike), loved it, had to sell it, built/bought 6 upwrongs, in the process of building a bent (bike) from a frame.
Should be good to go March/April time.

« Reply #32 on: 19 January, 2020, 07:14:33 pm »
Bought a bent, liked it, kept it. Ditched the upwrong. Won't be going back by choice.
Cruzbike V2k, S40

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #33 on: 20 January, 2020, 07:06:12 am »
On my third two wheel bent, two built from framesets. Love riding them, cannot see me not having one in the shed. As said to me at the weekend on the Kelvedon Oyster "that looks really comfy, and you can shift on it!".

I'm trike curious, but not had a chance to play yet.

There will always be room in the shed though for an upwrong or three. One on the turbo, a 90's no-sus MTB as a railway station hack, and I'm looking at an airnimal as a bike to take on my travels. There will always be rides, routes, conditions where one bike will be a better choice than the other
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Phil W

« Reply #34 on: 04 February, 2020, 05:57:14 pm »
My DF is seeing serious neglect of late. Will be interesting to see if I still want to keep it in a years time.  It would certainly free up some much needed space in the “bike” utility room. That would leave the recumbent and the Brompton.