Author Topic: 2023 Route  (Read 7440 times)

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
Re: 2023 Route
« Reply #25 on: 12 August, 2023, 10:49:34 pm »
Are the control locations anywhere in convenient digital form?
(i.e. to import to GPS, or online map thing)
Shouldn't need them, but ...

The RWG link on top of this page has controls marled as POIs. I'm currently making a version with them as custom cues as this is what works well for me.
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=126292.0

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #26 on: 25 August, 2023, 10:13:20 am »
So what's the new route really like?
I've seed:
Hard
Relentless Hills
Headwind both ways
etc.

I vaguely remember seeing the same in 2019 and thinking "Really???"

So is it really?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #27 on: 25 August, 2023, 10:48:15 am »
I really loved the new bit after Brest. Better than going back across the roc even if it only meant one visit to sizun. Brest is a still a place we don’t actually need to go - a control on the outskirts near the bridge would be just fine thank you.

Route generally still relentless. It’s only ever that 1000m ascent per 100km but there are very few truly flat sections.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #28 on: 25 August, 2023, 02:30:59 pm »
Ah...
So basically
What I'm used to

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #29 on: 26 August, 2023, 08:32:45 am »
Adamski is going to check the track from Brest to Loudeac for AAA points.  I logged (I think) 2400m ascent in these 175km and 4667m ascent in 415km from Brest to Villaines, which is a hilly but not savage 400.  My feeling is that it added to my time, probably about an hour.  As I tend towards hilly events, it wasn't a particular concern for me, but I did wonder about those who avoid hilly events being caught out, especially if it was hot.

I liked the new route through Alencon, which cut out that long boring undulating road to Fresnay-sur-Sarthe. 

I'm not sure if it was new this time or last, but I preferred the old route along the D20 between Fougeres and TInteniac.

The new route from St Meen le Grand to Loudeac had a lot of heavy road surfaces, the old route, used on the way back was a bit nicer.

I did like the new route back from Brest, despite the hills, and wish I had done more of it in the daylight (my 600-400-200 schedule required a 4am start on this section).  It would have been good to have food at the secret control or another food stop on this stage - they've done that on the hard stage on the way out with St Nicholas du Belem and on the next stage with Gouarec.

The route from Carhaix to Gouarec had a long section of main road which wasn't that pleasant, but the rest of it was really good and I liked riding through Pontivy.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #30 on: 26 August, 2023, 09:04:55 am »
The high temperatures during the daytime gave me severe hot foot, so I was slow during the day and had to ride for longer at night. The thing that struck me most about the route is that it’s very dull. Lots of long straight sections, lots of villages that mostly look the same. I’ve done PBP three times now and I’ll not be doing it again. The history and support are amazing but there’s more interesting riding elsewhere.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #31 on: 26 August, 2023, 11:01:55 am »
So what's the new route really like?
In 2019 I did ride on a standard bicycle and this time in a velomobile. The route works very well for a velomobile, most of the time you can use the inertia from the downhill very effectively to reduce the effort of climbing the next hill.

Loudéac - Brest - Loudéac is the hardest part, both in climbing and the fact that the road surface is worse (I would characterise them as  "British without the potholes"). I liked the new / different Brest - Carhaix return, disliked (like before) the bits in Brest itself.

No, it's not a visually stunning route. But I did ride much at night (partly happened that way but also to avoid the heat) and then who cares; wide, long boring roads are actually nice then.

There's a few busy roads but at least the French leave lots of space when overtaking and wait (too) patiently for a moment to overtake.

Flâneur

• ♫ P*nctured bicycle on a hillside desolate...
« Reply #32 on: 26 August, 2023, 12:57:26 pm »
Adamski is going to check the track from Brest to Loudeac for AAA points.

Could we hear back on this if it turns out there are? My initial reaction from the route GPXs is that there won’t be but it would save me having to go out again by the 31st to continue my AAARtY.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #33 on: 27 August, 2023, 08:10:43 am »
Go out again as it's unlikely you'll have an answer before the end of the month about whether it gets AAA points. From a quick scan I reckon it's right at the bottom end of getting AAA points, so the answer is "maybe".
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Flâneur

• ♫ P*nctured bicycle on a hillside desolate...
« Reply #34 on: 27 August, 2023, 09:39:05 am »
Thanks adamski, yeah that’s the safest option