Author Topic: The wind...  (Read 32978 times)

Re: The wind...
« Reply #225 on: 18 February, 2022, 02:48:28 pm »
Some recklessness here:
Coastguard officers tell swimmers to get out of the sea

New Brighton. You've got to be a bit mad to live there.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #226 on: 18 February, 2022, 02:51:57 pm »

7 floors up, and the wind is making the building shake rather a lot.

Had to move to laying in bed as trying to watch stuff on the screen in the living room was not working too well cos the screen was shaking too much.

J

1 floor up and my place is shaking quite a lot. Laying in bed as there's absolutely nothing else to do with no power! And this laptop ain't going to last much longer.

« Reply #227 on: 18 February, 2022, 02:52:38 pm »
Some recklessness here:
Coastguard officers tell swimmers to get out of the sea

If they are experienced surfers or swimmers, those conditions aren't too bad. I've swum in worse.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #228 on: 18 February, 2022, 02:55:21 pm »
That's just like my swimming pool when a fat person jumps in.

« Reply #229 on: 18 February, 2022, 02:55:52 pm »
Depends on the tide state. The ebb runs past there at about 5 knots max. 20 strokes and you're at the Bar lightship
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #230 on: 18 February, 2022, 02:59:45 pm »
Just dicovered we have no mobile.  I can see the mast from the kitchen window, it is still standing.

But does it have power? After Arwen it took a week to get electric restored to the one and only mast that serves the dale.

« Reply #231 on: 18 February, 2022, 03:11:24 pm »
Bugger, we have a bit of drainpipe dangling.  I know what I'm doing tomorrow.
Rust never sleeps

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #232 on: 18 February, 2022, 03:13:29 pm »
Ah the rain is now hammering on the front door, and bins are rolling down the hill, so the storm is here
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #233 on: 18 February, 2022, 03:19:27 pm »
Damn wind has broken my Ethernet cable that runs from my ‘modem’ to my Ethernet and Wi-Fi hubs. network via a cable up the outside of the house.

And all the trains on the Greater Anglia network have been cancelled as well.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #234 on: 18 February, 2022, 03:28:36 pm »

Up here in Not London (Rochdale) the BBC weather site says we've got 4 degrees and winds of 52mph, with light rain showers.  Unfortunately the devil is in the detail: Winds of 52mph make light showers feel like walking into a blizzard of tacks and wind chill has us down to -1, which I can believe.  The wood pigeons are sitting in the tree opposite our house quite serenely as the tree is blown violently back and forth.  Otherwise, pretty normal for summer here.

« Reply #235 on: 18 February, 2022, 03:35:53 pm »
I no longer have a fence at the bottom of my garden.
No matter.
It was overdue for replacement.
I've just saved Gary (my tame fencist) the trouble of taking it down.

« Reply #236 on: 18 February, 2022, 03:36:55 pm »
Calming here in Leafy Bucks. We’ve escaped damage to out 1840’s end terrace. Our neighbours 1960’s detached had lost a ridge tile, and a length of uPVC soffit the previous incumbent had put up to disguise the rotten wood beneath. And the scaffold at our neighbours has held up, although it seems it’s getting some fettling. The plastic sheeting has seen better days though. 

ETA, sheeting was taken down, so I guess the roof is finished. Still got the corrugated sheet cover but the winds just a string breeze now.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #237 on: 18 February, 2022, 03:43:26 pm »
It's extraordinary how calm it has become here.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #238 on: 18 February, 2022, 03:43:36 pm »
We've knocked Scouts on the head for tonight, as it's not really essential travel. Back to Zoom, which we got good at over the past year or so.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #239 on: 18 February, 2022, 03:45:15 pm »
Not as bad as expected here, although apparently there is quite a bit of damage around the town.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #240 on: 18 February, 2022, 03:47:19 pm »
Some wee shites were throwing snowballs at the hoose earlier, I stood at the window and realised I haven't learnt how to make the angry old man at the window gesture yet.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk
http://snowball.chunk.co.uk/
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #241 on: 18 February, 2022, 03:53:54 pm »
Our power went off a couple of hours ago and we’ve lost a few roof tiles.

Being on top of a hill is not great right now.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #242 on: 18 February, 2022, 03:54:45 pm »
Accents off a bit.

« Reply #243 on: 18 February, 2022, 04:04:07 pm »
Lots of clattering from the roof tiles through the day but I thought we'd got away with it.

Just been out for a look and the gable end ridge tile is halfway down the roof.  :facepalm: Going to have to hope it doesn't take out the gutter (or the gas line going up the wall) when it works the rest of the way down. I don't have a ladder big enough and even if I did I'm not going up that high in this wind - I'm only little and would likely fall to my doom.  :hand:

Guess I'm going to have to GAMI but I can't see anyone else wanting to go up a ladder for the next couple days given the forecast and we're due rain tomorrow. I guess I just have to hope that not too much water gets in if it does rain. At least it's the peak so most of the rain should drain away rather than being funnelled in. Right?

Dagnammit.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #244 on: 18 February, 2022, 04:08:42 pm »
We seem to be OK. Neighbour (across the road) has lost a fence - the same neighbour who lost a birch tree in June 2019. A couple of quite big trees are down in the park and one of them, a lime that must have been coppiced about 150 years ago, has brought a load of yew down with it. Quite a ot of other tree debris around, but the anglers were still angling in an unperturbed sort of way.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #245 on: 18 February, 2022, 04:11:28 pm »
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=7535813636436196&set=gm.4443792769059139
That's two of my three regular running routes b******d for the next few days then.

(Apoiogies for the FB link, but's not my photo)
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #246 on: 18 February, 2022, 04:21:21 pm »
Can't see it, but as things stand a number of routes round here are still majorly fucked from Arwen.

« Reply #247 on: 18 February, 2022, 04:25:00 pm »
Had to go up to retrieve the dangling drain pipe. It was secured by ziptie to the solar panel cable, and it was that attachment which stopped it falling. Given that it was dangling over the kitchen skylight I thought it better to bring it down in a controlled manner.

Getting the ladder up from the kitchen roof to the top gutter was quite interesting. Anyhow, all sorted now. I just have to go back up again tomorrow to replace the downpipe.
Rust never sleeps

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #248 on: 18 February, 2022, 04:38:17 pm »
A friend of mine has lost 11 trees.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #249 on: 18 February, 2022, 04:59:25 pm »
I no longer have a fence at the bottom of my garden.
No matter.
It was overdue for replacement.
I've just saved Gary (my tame fencist) the trouble of taking it down.

I'm surprised mine is still here.  Back garden is usualy a wind alley, but it seems to be at a slightly different angle today.

I thought the trampoline was about to go at one point, and it's still blowing pretty hard, but no obvious damag.  I'll be running on the treadmill tonight though
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens