Author Topic: The wind...  (Read 32992 times)

Re: The wind...
« Reply #250 on: 18 February, 2022, 05:17:21 pm »
O2 London dome has lost part of roof...

https://twitter.com/trevor_fowler/status/1494654723676327939?s=20&t=Yg7rgZ07c6qjXjXV0vf4nA

edit.  Wonder how much will be left by later this pm.
I wonder if the company that sponsors the dome will pair for repairs? Wind damage isn't covered
by insurance (at least in mine it isn't, as I can't claim for fence panel damage)?

« Reply #251 on: 18 February, 2022, 05:22:21 pm »
Some recklessness here:
Coastguard officers tell swimmers to get out of the sea

If they are experienced surfers or swimmers, those conditions aren't too bad. I've swum in worse.
Foolhardy, especially if the advice is not to go out (in those conditions). No matter how good the
swimmers are, if they begin to struggle in those conditions (and it's not impossible for it to happen) then the lifeboat crew have to put their lives in danger in order to bail out those that have been reckless.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #252 on: 18 February, 2022, 05:30:07 pm »
We haven't even lost a recycling box so far. All a bit of a let down really! I've concluded that not only is Bristol in the wind shadow of the Brecon Beacons etc, but this particular house is sheltered because it's on the northeast slope of a (small) hill. I expect it's getting a bit blowy up on El Dub and round the Purdown transmitter tower though.
Went up to the Downs later and it was much windier. No trees down though and lots of people about, including a woman on an e-bike. But on the other side of the Downs several fences down. Not only is that west facing, it's an area of large houses with spacious gardens, so much less urban buffering effect than the terraces down here.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #253 on: 18 February, 2022, 05:39:33 pm »
Just had a power cut.
For about 60 seconds.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #254 on: 18 February, 2022, 05:40:03 pm »
I've just been watching a video on FB of a guy kitesurfing over Southend Pier.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #255 on: 18 February, 2022, 06:09:49 pm »
Pretty much all of Suffolk is without power. UK Power are suggesting they’ll get it back in the early hours, but I’d be surprised if the wind drops enough for them to work on the HT transmission lines that have come down. I’m guessing those of us in the more rural parts will be unelectrified for a couple of days. That’s a bummer when your house is electric only!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #256 on: 18 February, 2022, 06:40:53 pm »
Popped into Alpkit today, they said they'd been closed all morning, only opened in the afternoon. Reason – they all cycle in and so had been sheltering at home!

« Reply #257 on: 18 February, 2022, 06:41:16 pm »
There was a power cut at work, in Sheffield. I'd only done 2 hours. It wasn't too bad on the walk to work but it was dead windy on the walk back.

It's still really blowy now. No idea what the speed actually is but BBC weather says 58 mph. I can hear it through the chimney.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #258 on: 18 February, 2022, 06:41:33 pm »
Pretty much all of Suffolk is without power. UK Power are suggesting they’ll get it back in the early hours, but I’d be surprised if the wind drops enough for them to work on the HT transmission lines that have come down. I’m guessing those of us in the more rural parts will be unelectrified for a couple of days. That’s a bummer when your house is electric only!
Isn't your house thatched? So at least you've got a plentiful supply of fuel...  :o

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #259 on: 18 February, 2022, 06:53:28 pm »
Will this wind be so mighty as to lay waste the mountains of the earth?

You'll 'ave ter speak a little more loudly, please!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #260 on: 18 February, 2022, 07:23:57 pm »

I seem to have avoided the loss of electrons in this part of Suffolk.  :smug:

Not completely issue free though. Apart from the Ethernet cable reported earlier, I’ve had to shore up the second sheds broken door and the fence between me and the youngsters next door seems to be finally giving up the fight for survival. I have planted a hedge to replace this fence and Mrs youngest next door has said that Mr Youngster next door would attend to the fading fence. He hasn’t found sufficient tuits yet, so I suspect I’ll have to go around there in the coming days and remove the remnants.  ::-)
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #261 on: 18 February, 2022, 07:30:16 pm »
November: Scotland gets battered by Arwen. Not much of a dent in the UK media.
Today: England gets a similar storm and we get a C4News storm Eunice special  ::-)

Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #262 on: 18 February, 2022, 07:31:37 pm »
October: Scotland gets battered by Arwen. Not much of a dent in the UK media.
Today: England gets a similar storm and we get a C4News storm Eunice special  ::-)
Only because it affected London.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #263 on: 18 February, 2022, 07:36:56 pm »
Well, we're usually prime candidates for a power cut, but we seemed to have escaped.  Probably due to all the  power cut prepping I did.
Plenty of others not so lucky judging by the number of people in the pub.
I reckon most of them are  where one partner has secretly hit the main breaker.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #264 on: 18 February, 2022, 07:52:33 pm »

London! Car...

Omnes: Shut! Up!

ian

« Reply #265 on: 18 February, 2022, 08:02:51 pm »

To be fair, around twice as many people live in London as Scotlandshire. Plus there are no bears in Scotland.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #266 on: 18 February, 2022, 08:17:35 pm »
Mum in Witnesham (north of Ipswich) had a power cut for about an hour.

Here in Germany it is really blowy now and the local farmer’s huge barn wall has crumbled inwards. He was refurbing it and had just built a metal frame with a new roof and was meant to be tidying up the brickwork of the old wall. It’s now lying on the ground so he gets to start again.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #267 on: 18 February, 2022, 08:46:43 pm »
power all good here in East CAmbs, within spitting distance (especially in this wind) of Suffolk
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #268 on: 18 February, 2022, 08:56:17 pm »

London! Car...

To be fair
A gust record offshore of 122mph is a normal day at the top of the massively in land cairngorm.

If that London built their l houses properly and their trees grew proper roots a piddly westerly like this would barely worry them

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #270 on: 18 February, 2022, 09:55:19 pm »

London! Car...

To be fair
A gust record offshore of 122mph is a normal day at the top of the massively in land cairngorm.

If that London built their l houses properly and their trees grew proper roots a piddly westerly like this would barely worry them

'Grim up north' is never in doubt.  ;)  In 1987 storm, I slept right through in London, then woke to find huge collapsed scaffolding right outside.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #271 on: 18 February, 2022, 10:05:39 pm »

London! Car...

To be fair

Yebbut we don't all live at the summit of Cairngorm do we.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #272 on: 18 February, 2022, 10:13:41 pm »
They don't live at the needles either do they

« Reply #273 on: 18 February, 2022, 10:15:20 pm »
Pretty much all of Suffolk is without power. …. …. I’m guessing those of us in the more rural parts will be unelectrified for a couple of days.

Same for parts of Essex.  I spoke with a UK Power engineer at a job earlier where about a hundred metres of HT cables were on the ground and entangled in/under a row of fallen trees. He wasn’t expecting power to be restored for at least 24 hours, maybe more.  He was just intent on making it safe for now.  Not sure it’s a competition with other parts of the UK given differences in geography and population density.  Essex Fire and Rescue Service are saying it has been their busiest day for 30 years which gives some perspective even if every man and his dog has a mobile and that means any highly visible incident generates far more calls than it would have done in 1992.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #274 on: 18 February, 2022, 11:12:52 pm »
Big jet:
Holy carp, if this footage is for real, I really didn't need to know the pilot is 'steering' one handed
https://twitter.com/AlexInAir/status/1494730533082963975?t=gjsguUDFuR40GehFpBwNZg&s=19