Author Topic: The wind...  (Read 32989 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The wind...
« Reply #275 on: 18 February, 2022, 11:29:22 pm »
Big jet:
Holy carp, if this footage is for real, I really didn't need to know the pilot is 'steering' one handed
https://twitter.com/AlexInAir/status/1494730533082963975?t=gjsguUDFuR40GehFpBwNZg&s=19

Don't worry, I expect his feet are going a fair bit too...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #276 on: 18 February, 2022, 11:31:27 pm »
Oh I didn't even think about feet. Is it like one of those big organs?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #277 on: 18 February, 2022, 11:36:00 pm »
Feet do the rudder via two pedals, which I believe becomes particularly important just before touchdown...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #278 on: 19 February, 2022, 12:25:11 am »
That's a whole lotta nope from me
That video of the elbe ferry nose diving into a trough and losing its bow windaes, absolutely fine...

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #279 on: 19 February, 2022, 01:22:43 am »
Doubtless TimC will be along when he gets his electricity back but AFAIK Airbuses are always driven one-handed coz they use a side-stick instead of the yoke used by Boeing.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #280 on: 19 February, 2022, 02:02:54 am »
Oh I didn't even think about feet. Is it like one of those big organs?

I must not. I must not. I must not.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #281 on: 19 February, 2022, 05:59:19 am »
Doubtless TimC will be along when he gets his electricity back but AFAIK Airbuses are always driven one-handed coz they use a side-stick instead of the yoke used by Boeing.

And one hand on the throttles, ready for either go-around or full reverse thrust
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #282 on: 19 February, 2022, 07:20:24 am »
Went out for a walk after work to see the damage.  A few fences completely down, a garden wall blown over, and someone's ridge tile missing.  Not much, really.  There has been more severe damage in and around the town centre.  One thing about dull suburban estates is that the wind tends not to be accelerated around large buildings and around the corners of long terraced streets (which can suck off gable ends).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #283 on: 19 February, 2022, 08:03:14 am »
Big jet:
Holy carp, if this footage is for real, I really didn't need to know the pilot is 'steering' one handed
https://twitter.com/AlexInAir/status/1494730533082963975?t=gjsguUDFuR40GehFpBwNZg&s=19
Some modern jets have replaced the yoke with a side mounted joystick  ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #284 on: 19 February, 2022, 08:22:47 am »
Quarter of a million houses without power, and 4 dead.

Just in case anybody tries to say it was nothing.

« Reply #285 on: 19 February, 2022, 09:25:55 am »
Our fence is slightly wonky. Neighbours is largely gone between her and the next garden. Well The Hazel privacy screen is gone the lower chain link is still there. The owner about three owners back put up the higher one as wanted privacy and then moved. The one on the other side of that garden is undamaged which I'm glad about as helped the owner before the current one replace the panels about two years ago.

Not sure what will happen as pretty sure the fence that's taken the hammering is the responsibility of my Neighbour who rents from a penny pinching landlord and technically there is still a fence and the other house was sold just waiting to move so not sure how bothered they will be. It's a nice neighbourly road and qe all chat over fences so a low one would actually be better

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #286 on: 19 February, 2022, 09:34:02 am »
Our fence is slightly wonky. Neighbours is largely gone between her and the next garden. Well The Hazel privacy screen is gone the lower chain link is still there. The owner about three owners back put up the higher one as wanted privacy and then moved. The one on the other side of that garden is undamaged which I'm glad about as helped the owner before the current one replace the panels about two years ago.

Not sure what will happen as pretty sure the fence that's taken the hammering is the responsibility of my Neighbour who rents from a penny pinching landlord and technically there is still a fence and the other house was sold just waiting to move so not sure how bothered they will be. It's a nice neighbourly road and qe all chat over fences so a low one would actually be better

Why do they make good neighbors? Isn't it
Where there are cows? But here there are no cows.
Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
What I was walling in or walling out,
And to whom I was like to give offense.
Something there is that doesn't love a wall

« Reply #287 on: 19 February, 2022, 10:13:34 am »

And one hand on the throttles, ready for either go-around or full reverse thrust
This ^.  He would not want to put himself in the position where he would have to let go with one hand in order to add or remove power.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #288 on: 19 February, 2022, 10:31:30 am »

Indeed. The overreaction cnuts are out in force.

If we had san actual government just now, they might have said something magisterial. Unfortunately the head of government was given a set of crayons and some boxes to colour in on a Police questionnaire.
It is simpler than it looks.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #289 on: 19 February, 2022, 10:34:56 am »

Aye well Boeings need a two-handed yoke so that the pilot can better fight the software.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #290 on: 19 February, 2022, 10:49:40 am »
The Big Jet clips I've seen are completely spoiled by the moronic shouts from behind the camera.
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #291 on: 19 February, 2022, 11:00:08 am »
Big jet:
Some modern jets have replaced the yoke with a side mounted joystick  ;D

I wish I'd said that!  Oh, wait… :P
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #292 on: 19 February, 2022, 11:05:44 am »
I wonder where the trampoline ended up?

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #293 on: 19 February, 2022, 11:07:33 am »
Pretty much all of Suffolk is without power. …. …. I’m guessing those of us in the more rural parts will be unelectrified for a couple of days.

Same for parts of Essex.  I spoke with a UK Power engineer at a job earlier where about a hundred metres of HT cables were on the ground and entangled in/under a row of fallen trees. He wasn’t expecting power to be restored for at least 24 hours, maybe more.  He was just intent on making it safe for now.  Not sure it’s a competition with other parts of the UK given differences in geography and population density.  Essex Fire and Rescue Service are saying it has been their busiest day for 30 years which gives some perspective even if every man and his dog has a mobile and that means any highly visible incident generates far more calls than it would have done in 1992.

Surprisingly, we got power back in the early hours and it seems pretty stable even though it's still fairly blustery. Of course, when it came on everything in my house lit up and made noises so that ended my kip. I'd gone to bed at some silly early time, so I'd had a decent night's sleep but I'm fading now!

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #294 on: 19 February, 2022, 11:11:53 am »
The road about 200m from here is blocked by a large horizontal tree. Openreach are currently trying to disentangle a number of telegraph lines from it. There's no great rush to remove it cos there's an easy get around for traffic. I expect the council tree removal experts are a bit busy.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #295 on: 19 February, 2022, 11:18:22 am »

Indeed.

Feet do the rudder via two pedals, which I believe becomes particularly important just before touchdown...

If you have a crosswind, you have to use the rudder to 'kick off' the drift so you touch down pointing the same way as the runway. The finesse is in doing that so that the main wheels touch before the aeroplane starts to move downwind. That can be aided by using into-wind aileron to fly the aeroplane skew-wiff relative to the air (cross-controlled is the proper term) but straight relative to the ground. The usefulness of this technique is directly proportional to the ground clearance of the engine pods, though at the point of flare that really isn't an issue. It becomes an issue if you have to maintain into-wind bank when all the wheels are on the ground. The 737 has partially-castoring main wheels so that they can take a goodly amount of sideways motion on touchdown, which allows for the use of inexperienced pilots with an excess of cack-handedness.  Big Jet TV's coverage was from Heathrow, which tends to be visited by airlines' more experienced pilots, but there may well have been more 'entertaining' locations to watch the struggles!

« Reply #296 on: 19 February, 2022, 11:38:51 am »
They don't live at the needles either do they

Well, Totland is about a mile away, so pretty close.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #297 on: 19 February, 2022, 11:41:25 am »

This ^.  He would not want to put himself in the position where he would have to let go with one hand in order to add or remove power.

I thought the co-pilot would handle the throttles.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #298 on: 19 February, 2022, 11:55:51 am »
They don't live at the needles either do they

Well, Totland is about a mile away, so pretty close.
Drop in wind speed on landfall is pretty rapid and you'd think somewhere as exposed as that would be built to stand it...
Otherwise it would have been blown off the map by now.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #299 on: 19 February, 2022, 11:59:08 am »

Considering the population and density of the areas hit it could have been much much worse.