Author Topic: The wind...  (Read 33056 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: The wind...
« Reply #325 on: 20 February, 2022, 06:46:00 pm »
Small hail with the latest wind in NW London, which was nice.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #326 on: 20 February, 2022, 08:34:17 pm »
It's bin day tomorrow and the buggers won't stay upright.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #327 on: 21 February, 2022, 08:17:29 am »
I note that when Franklin has gone home to bed the next storm name is Gladys,  who will shortly be followed by Herman,  Imani , Jack and Kim. 

Storm Kim….. the rubbish bins of Silly Oak are in for a hard time…
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #328 on: 21 February, 2022, 09:56:11 am »
Am I the only one who thinks the next storm should be called Gail.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #329 on: 21 February, 2022, 10:04:39 am »
We did have Abigail a few years back

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #330 on: 21 February, 2022, 10:09:57 am »
I note that when Franklin has gone home to bed the next storm name is Gladys,  who will shortly be followed by Herman,  Imani , Jack and Kim. 

Storm Kim….. the rubbish bins of Silly Oak are in for a hard time…
It's the fridges I fear for.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rogerzilla

« Reply #331 on: 21 February, 2022, 10:20:01 am »
I was at Birmingham University during the 1987 "hurricane".  I walked up to Tesco in the middle of it.  It wasn't all that bad up there; I don't remember any damage at all.  It was worse down south

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #332 on: 21 February, 2022, 11:11:56 am »
Storm Gail, now there's one to get confused about.

Most of these storms aren't really storms but Gales by the time they make landfall (force 8 or 9, douvpe and triple peggers), storms (very good drying days) are 10,hurricane force is 11 up (tumble dryer days)

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #333 on: 21 February, 2022, 11:26:14 am »
Gale = 8
Severe Gale = 9
Storm =10
Violent Storm = 11
Hurricane = 12

And that's where the numbering stops. I've heard two reasons for that.

1   There is no distinguishable difference in sea state beyond a 12.
2   There's no point in worrying about what happens after a 12, because you've probably sunk already.

I think No. 1 is Rear Admiral Beaufort's preferred version.
Rust never sleeps

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #334 on: 21 February, 2022, 11:27:48 am »
Yes... Doh.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #335 on: 21 February, 2022, 11:49:49 am »
I was at Birmingham University during the 1987 "hurricane".  I walked up to Tesco in the middle of it.  It wasn't all that bad up there; I don't remember any damage at all.  It was worse down south

I was at someone's housewarming party in Aldershot on the evening of that storm, but didn't stay late as I was driving back.  I noticed it was abnormally warm for October.  I drove back over Ewshot Hill and went to sleep thinking nothing of it.  Woke up the next morning to a tree branch on the roof of my parent's house and another across the drive.  The road over Ewshot Hill was blocked by at least 20 fallen trees in 100m.  The 100 acres of High Wood Hanger near Selborne lost more than half its trees.  I didn't get to work until 1pm that day, a client site 40 miles away.  Amidst the carnage I do particularly remember a 100' pine tree in Esher with a 6' girth had fallen neatly between two houses missing both of them, but so close to each that it would have been hard to walk either side. 

Cycling around yesterday, Eunice was not in the same league.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #336 on: 21 February, 2022, 12:09:49 pm »
Indded. I was in Glasgow, so missed the 1987 storm completely, but at "home" in East Sussex, up on the Weald, there was a considerable amount of damage.  I noticed it most when driving between Crowborough and Tunbridge Wells along the "Bunny Run" - more properly known as Bunny Lane.  Numerous uprooted trees on either side, courtesy of shallow roots over the chalk.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #337 on: 21 February, 2022, 12:21:49 pm »
I've got to agree with CET.
In 1987 I was actually out in the middle of the storm at around 4AM.
We had a catering business and I was on the way to our baker to collect the bread.
It was like a war zone out there.
There was absolutely masses of crap everywhere.
The bread had been baked the night before, but the power had gone off before the loaves had been put through the slicer.
Doorstep sandwiches were on the menu that day.

« Reply #338 on: 21 February, 2022, 12:41:43 pm »
The storm in 1987 only hit the south of England. Up north nowt were happening.

ian

« Reply #339 on: 21 February, 2022, 12:46:02 pm »
I missed the 1987 storm as I lived up north (ok, the Middlelands) – there are still scars of visibly new growth around here though (ironically, the wind bringing trees down increases diversity, unless they put a housing estate on top).

We went for a hike at the weekend, a fair number of trees down, but nothing excessive. Some scrambling and clambering required on a few footpaths, and a majestic old tree down near Penshurst, must be annoying to send 250 years or so growing and then get blown over.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #340 on: 21 February, 2022, 03:55:09 pm »
despite being on the edge of the red zone for Eunice, Franklin seemed worse,  I spent yesterday either in the wilds of the east midlands (it's all wild over there) or driving between the two.  You could really feel it buffeting the car and the spray was pretty bad on the A14 with some large patches of standing water and an impressive hail storm in Leicester just before we left.

Eunice has bought a few trees down round here but not masses, and I rode past a couple of relocated sheds on Saturday.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #341 on: 21 February, 2022, 03:57:54 pm »
Very nearly had to use the Perfectly Good Gentleman’s Mountain Bicycle's little chainring on the way back from Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles earlier.  I think the front brake is binding too, which doesn’t help :(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #342 on: 21 February, 2022, 05:44:03 pm »
Riding to and from Salisbury at the weekend was interesting.  On the way there, once we'd climbed on to the Blackdowns, the scene along a tree-lined old turnpike was of devastation.  There were piles of logs from newly fallen trees and debris across the road.  But at least the wind was mostly behind us.  The chalk road, another old turnpike, above the Fovant Emblems, was more technical.  We had to hurdle about half a dozen trees and negotiate mud swamps and floods.

The return on Sunday was all on tarmac, but even more challenging on account of storm Franklin blowing mostly straight against us.  A couple of times we were nearly blown to a halt.  Not that it was any easier when it became a crosswind.  Again the roads were covered with debris and lined with stacked logs, but there was only one fallen tree to negotiate.  136k took us over nine hours.

« Reply #343 on: 21 February, 2022, 07:55:48 pm »
Today I've lost another fence panel.
On the plus side I have gained a broken chimney pot in my garden.
It isn't one of mine, and doesn't appear to be one belonging to a neighbour.
Most strange.

« Reply #344 on: 21 February, 2022, 09:01:19 pm »
I was out hiking during storm Dudley. I had a 4 ml headwind walk back to the hostel but that's when the rain started. My new waterproof jkt was good but I didn't have the leggings with me. Got very wet and cold . I was on the road, only about 1.5 mls left when a passing bus driver took pity and gave me a lift. Very thankful of a warm Youth Hostel and very hot shower. The wind took more out of me than I thought so didn't walk too far the next day.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #345 on: 22 February, 2022, 12:46:33 am »
This morning I was freewheeling down a hill that is usually worth 20mph. I must have reached about 1am-h when a very strong gust am but stopped me, which wasn’t inconvenient as I had to stop anyway for some light, and as I pulled up, there was Delthebike being Delthepairofshoesjustforachange.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #346 on: 22 February, 2022, 10:07:19 am »

I’m about 25 miles north of Birmingham. The 87 hurricane bodily lifted next door’s wooden stable and blew it over our roof.
The horse was left unharmed, looking very confused on the floor of what had been the stable

« Reply #347 on: 22 February, 2022, 10:57:31 am »
I was in Epsom in '87, working at Fort Halstead in Sevenoaks (on top of a hill). I slept through it, and then didn't have to go to work for a week. (Though I've no idea how that would have been communicated to me in a world before email and mobile phones.)

Meanwhile, the to-be Mrs hatler (though she had no idea of the existence of a Mr hatler at that point, though our paths were to cross in only a couple of months) was living in a farmhouse in the Tonbridge / Sevenoaks area. They had no power for a week and she wasn't able to get to her parents for a bit longer than that.
Rust never sleeps

rogerzilla

« Reply #348 on: 22 February, 2022, 11:09:08 am »

I’m about 25 miles north of Birmingham. The 87 hurricane bodily lifted next door’s wooden stable and blew it over our roof.
The horse was left unharmed, looking very confused on the floor of what had been the stable
From this, we can conclude that even storms try to avoid Birmingham.

« Reply #349 on: 22 February, 2022, 02:58:31 pm »
I've done the 36 mile commute to and from Cambridge on Friday last week and Monday this week and didn't think it was as bad as the news made it out. It was definitely a little hairy at points and I did see a few trees down but barring the puncture i got from some storm debris everything else was just a bit more work.

Is this an example of the media over inflating the seriousness of things as usual? Latest news I'm seeing looks like the rainfall is the real story, yet again scenes of flooding and I can confirm I've seen little to no clearing of drainage channels where I live since we had serious flooding last year in my town.