Author Topic: The wind...  (Read 32975 times)

Re: The wind...
« Reply #400 on: 03 January, 2024, 07:19:19 pm »
It was pretty windy here in Warwickshire but we were disappointed that a large flexy bough on a tree in the cul-de-sac at the end of our plot that overhangs our garden didn't fall off - the bloody tree is massive but has a TPO so can't be lopped without planning permission.  It's, allegedly, the largest walnut tree in Warwickshire - and blocks the light.

Neighbours applied for planning permission to fell a huge beech tree in their back garden, but also part of protected woodland.  They bought the house a year or two earlier and of course it blocks the light, has done for decades and little sun reaches the back garden.  Local opposition to the application was very loud and successful.  I watched the tree in Storm Henk, it is very tough and was shielded by the rest of the wood. 

They have a front garden which is sunny but they paved it over completely to make car parking - it has no greenery whatsoever, not even a plant pot!.  I am sorry to say it floods just in front of their front door step :demon: Before they moved in it had car parking for one car next to quite a nice front garden.

My ancient chestnuts in France were my favourite bit of the garden. 

Move Faster and Bake Things

ian

« Reply #401 on: 03 January, 2024, 08:13:25 pm »
The British obsession with removing trees because they need the light always bemused me, since as soon as they get the blessed light, they then keep the blinds semi-permanently closed because it's too bright. I blame the rash of home improvement shows in the 80s and 90s that threatened any homeowner who didn't like light and magnolia walls with doom (when realistically people will buy any property). I like having a shady existence surrounded by trees.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #402 on: 04 January, 2024, 08:11:49 am »
It was pretty windy here in Warwickshire but we were disappointed that a large flexy bough on a tree in the cul-de-sac at the end of our plot that overhangs our garden didn't fall off - the bloody tree is massive but has a TPO so can't be lopped without planning permission.  It's, allegedly, the largest walnut tree in Warwickshire - and blocks the light.

Neighbours applied for planning permission to fell a huge beech tree in their back garden, but also part of protected woodland.  They bought the house a year or two earlier and of course it blocks the light, has done for decades and little sun reaches the back garden.  Local opposition to the application was very loud and successful.  I watched the tree in Storm Henk, it is very tough and was shielded by the rest of the wood. 

They have a front garden which is sunny but they paved it over completely to make car parking - it has no greenery whatsoever, not even a plant pot!.  I am sorry to say it floods just in front of their front door step :demon: Before they moved in it had car parking for one car next to quite a nice front garden.

My ancient chestnuts in France were my favourite bit of the garden. 

We're not averse to the tree, which is massive and looks glorious in leaf - it's really just the annoying bough that hangs over the corner of our garden, sticking out from the main trunk at a crazy angle.

« Reply #403 on: 21 January, 2024, 10:21:53 pm »
A tad windy again...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #404 on: 21 January, 2024, 10:35:04 pm »
Fairly well ventilated up here.

« Reply #405 on: 21 January, 2024, 10:46:48 pm »
Potted Xmas tree is reclining on the patio...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #406 on: 21 January, 2024, 10:50:27 pm »

It's not properly windy unless it's resulted in a garden trampoline being booked in for a speed awareness course.  :P
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #407 on: 21 January, 2024, 10:56:11 pm »

It's not properly windy unless it's resulted in a garden trampoline being booked in for a speed awareness course.  :P

There have been warnings about securing trampolines  :)

I'm more concerned about the fencing on the Eastern Marches.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #408 on: 21 January, 2024, 11:00:08 pm »
The door of the Great Hall blew open an hour or two ago.  A neat trick considering how tight-fitting the inner front door is.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #409 on: 22 January, 2024, 12:20:26 am »
Wild here, my bin has just been deliberately wedged in the hedge in the hope it won't move far overnight.

Forecast to hit gusts of 133kmh, although that's 2m above ground level and we are sheltered by the lomonds to some extent.

Dundee is cut off.

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #410 on: 22 January, 2024, 01:07:06 am »
Going to have to time tomorrow’s shopping trip carefully if the BBC's wind speeds are to be believed.  Don’t want a 40 mph headwind combined with uphill and panniers stuffed with toothy comestibles.

« Reply #411 on: 22 January, 2024, 07:44:09 am »
It has been 'business as usual' on the OH. Some areas had gusts up to 120kph, but I don't think we went much above 100kph at home.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #412 on: 22 January, 2024, 07:54:59 am »

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #413 on: 22 January, 2024, 07:57:17 am »
Blustery here, by Saarfend standards. 56kph recorded yesterday, compared to 68kph on 2nd Jan.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #414 on: 22 January, 2024, 09:43:15 am »

Congratulations to today’s winner, Brizlee Wood.

My former in-laws live in Longhoughton.  If it's anything like it was when I lived in Plymouth, everything will be covered in sea salt this morning.  You can be half a mile from the nearest inlet but the spray travels that far.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #415 on: 22 January, 2024, 09:53:21 am »
Potted Xmas tree is reclining on the patio...

Ah. I poured a couple of gallons of water in the two large pots containing Holly bushes outside the front of our house to act as ballast.
*taps side of nose*
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #416 on: 22 January, 2024, 10:35:10 am »
Congratulations to today’s winner, Brizlee Wood.

Presumably at the radar station?
I was at an orienteering event at Simonside and Lordenshaws which is not far away.
Certainly got a bit breezy, but I had an early run and scuttled off home.
Berlingo got a good shaking crossing the fells.

« Reply #417 on: 22 January, 2024, 11:20:16 am »
Me, to my mother, yesterday evening: I trust you are all secure over there?
Mum: yes, all fine. It is bin day here tomorrow and no one has put their bins out!

At least she has sensible neighbours!

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #418 on: 22 January, 2024, 11:30:17 am »
Tay Road Bridge recorded a gust of 108mph, highest they've ever recorded is 110mph in 2001

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #419 on: 22 January, 2024, 11:36:22 am »
Gusty but nothing seems to have moved. "Non-amber" days have been more windfully eventful.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #420 on: 22 January, 2024, 12:10:11 pm »
York will be flooded again in the usual parts, but the wind seems to have been fairly harmless.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #421 on: 22 January, 2024, 02:05:14 pm »
Small chainring not required for the ascent of the Great East Face of Larrington Towers Hill just now though 'twas a damn' close-run thing.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #422 on: 22 January, 2024, 04:35:19 pm »
Just had a phone call from family members, diverted off the M6 southbound at Shap, on account of fallen over lotteries. Lots of crisp packets blowing everywhere too...
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #423 on: 22 January, 2024, 06:25:38 pm »
Crossing Slough railway bridge this afternoon with the empty burley behind the trike a gust of wind overturned it..I was a little surprised 😮  :)
the slower you go the more you see

ian

« Reply #424 on: 22 January, 2024, 08:29:24 pm »
Blusterous last night, as befits having an exposed house on the flanks of the North Downs. Unlike the last time, we don't seem to have headed for a large roofing bill, so I'm guessing he did a good job.