Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 869596 times)

Re: Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #1850 on: 10 February, 2012, 12:41:28 am »

18t Miche fixie sprocket for my son's bike. He seems happy enough with the 80" gear he has at the moment, but I think he will do better on the hills and also at leg braking with a 68" gear.

When I was in my teens and had a fixed wheel training bike I can recall being told to stick to lower gears, on the grounds that it was bad for the still growing legs etc.

Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #1851 on: 10 February, 2012, 12:46:53 am »
... He seems happy enough with the 80" gear he has at the moment, but I think he will do better on the hills and also at leg braking with a 68" gear.

80" :o

On Vince the snow and ice bike which I'm mostly using at the moment, I've got a 58" (single speed not fixed).  Admittedly that was selected for easy and cheap availability of a suitable freewheel, and making sure that I can still get up silly snow and ice covered hills, but an 80" gear would be stupid for me on London's flat roads.  Around your neck of the woods, I would have thought it was horrendous!

I just had some spare bits for my older Dinottes lights delivered.  A rear mount, and enough rubber mounting bands to keep me going into the next century!

It also got here using USPS International First Class in about half the time that USPS International Express Delivery took, because it was below the threshold for VAT payment, and was a very small packet, so Parcel Force had no chance to bugger it about, like they did my last parcel from Dinotte.
Actually, it is rocket science.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #1852 on: 10 February, 2012, 08:07:39 am »
SLR Flow saddle - this has a hole but hopefully is relatively umpadded.  I am hoping for an alternative to Brooks
CO2 inflator - so I can ride with no saddlebag
Michelin Pro3 25mm tyres - as the price has dropped and they are still in stock

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1853 on: 10 February, 2012, 11:07:09 am »
Two rolls of self-amalgamating tape.

Granted, it's not cycling stuff per-se, but it's bloody useful for making sure that lighting brackets stay put and protecting paintwork from being abraded by P-clips and the like.  Myriad other uses throughout the home, too.

Ended up buying it through Amazon - when I asked for it in the local branch of Screwfix I got blank looks.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1854 on: 10 February, 2012, 11:17:08 am »
Two rolls of self-amalgamating tape.

Granted, it's not cycling stuff per-se, but it's bloody useful for making sure that lighting brackets stay put and protecting paintwork from being abraded by P-clips and the like.  Myriad other uses throughout the home, too.

Ended up buying it through Amazon - when I asked for it in the local branch of Screwfix I got blank looks.

Trim fixing tape is how it usually sold, I bought some at Wilko's for not a lot of money.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1855 on: 10 February, 2012, 01:05:31 pm »
Not bought today, but just been to the delivery office and collected some bars and a stem sent by gene hunt of this parish.

Also got my chains and cassette (listed earlier) and almost a set of contact lenses for someone completely unrelated to me that had been bundled in with my parcels :facepalm:
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #1856 on: 10 February, 2012, 10:10:20 pm »
A hot off the press (well boat) Cotic Solaris frame.

Now looking forward to a mtb build weekend and Red Bull Hill Chasers up Park St next weekend.

« Reply #1857 on: 10 February, 2012, 11:21:42 pm »
A pair of Altura waterproof leggings from Cycle Express, their internet ordering process is terrible, their customer service and prices very good  :)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1858 on: 10 February, 2012, 11:22:58 pm »
Another one of those suspiciously Kim-shaped DHB merino baselayers, long-sleeved this time, as they appear to be being discontinued.

« Reply #1859 on: 10 February, 2012, 11:30:31 pm »
Since we found ourselves on a tandem ride to Bridgwater we went into SJS and bought a Cateye secondary light for the seatpost, a headset spacer mounted bell and a set of Clarks V brake shoes with removable pads.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #1860 on: 12 February, 2012, 08:00:08 pm »
Deda leather look bar tape for the Witcomb project and a role of cheap black for the Coventry Eagle that will not have to go to the dump after all. Hurrah! :thumbsup:

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #1861 on: 13 February, 2012, 03:46:10 am »
My first repair kit in 4 years :S
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #1862 on: 14 February, 2012, 10:55:25 am »
Paid the deposit on N+1.5 :D.

Hurrah for retail therapy :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

tiermat

« Reply #1863 on: 14 February, 2012, 11:00:19 am »
Tyres and security skewers for N+2.

Just need the paint job doing now (and pedals and cables for one of them)

Looks like I will be a bit busy over the next few months :)

@Butterfly, what have you ordered?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #1864 on: 14 February, 2012, 11:10:17 am »
Tyres and security skewers for N+2.

Just need the paint job doing now (and pedals and cables for one of them)

Looks like I will be a bit busy over the next few months :)

@Butterfly, what have you ordered?
A Circe Helios :D Mainly for work, but partly for fun 8)

tiermat

« Reply #1865 on: 14 February, 2012, 11:39:16 am »
NICE! they look like they would be fun.....

Hmmmm

No! I don't need yet another bike....

tiermat

« Reply #1866 on: 14 February, 2012, 11:43:44 am »
Now ordered 5 of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290653280154&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:1123

4 with my name and a Yorkshire flag, one with Mrs T's name and the same flag.

I shall be VERY surprised if they can't do a Yorkshire flag as they are based in Guiseley!!!!

« Reply #1867 on: 14 February, 2012, 11:49:34 am »
NICE! they look like they would be fun.....

Hmmmm

No! I don't need yet another bike....
Course you do! ;) The best bit is that as well as riding with 4 year old stoker and a 2 year old in a seat, I can ride with Clarion stoking :D.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #1868 on: 14 February, 2012, 02:20:13 pm »
A pair of 25mm Vittoria Zaffiros from Wiggle. Either for the Witcomb project or summer tyres for the Royal. A bargain at under a tenner each.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #1869 on: 15 February, 2012, 01:31:44 pm »
Two Long Sleeved Santini Hear Jerseys. I didn't want to but when the zip failed on an old jersey Yesterday I realised I no longer had any and Winter will continue for another few weeks.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #1870 on: 19 February, 2012, 06:30:41 pm »
Brown brake hoods from E-Bay for the new levers donated by Marco for my Witcomb project.

« Reply #1871 on: 20 February, 2012, 08:01:25 pm »
This arrived today. Now I have two weeks to get it built up. Bear in mind I've not built up a frame in full in a loooonnnnggg time.

First job is to get the BB threads chased at the LBS tomorrow. Then frame tape on the down tube and anywhere I might get cable / hose rubbing.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1872 on: 20 February, 2012, 08:07:17 pm »
^^^ The colour is, of course, an instant win ;D

Although, strictly speaking, I bought it early last week the 'old style' Alfine chain tensioner I bought for the Pugsley off fleaBay has arrived from Taiwan - even with shipping, it cost me less than the RRP of the 'new style' tensioner, which is nice.

All(!) I need to do now is refit the front mech and shifter, cable it up and I'll have a choice of low gears and *really* low gears :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1873 on: 20 February, 2012, 08:57:39 pm »
A couple of Trice-friendly B-Twin mirrors and some p*nct*r* supplies.

« Reply #1874 on: 20 February, 2012, 09:06:08 pm »
^^^ The colour is, of course, an instant win ;D

Wait until you see it with my orange seat post... :-)