Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 869530 times)

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #3100 on: 01 March, 2013, 03:28:51 pm »
Two spare sets of B01S pads for my Trek's hydraulic brakes.
A spare barrel adjuster and a chain masterlink removal tool from Park tools.
I'll be running out of things to buy soon (hope springs eternal).
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #3101 on: 01 March, 2013, 05:25:08 pm »
Two pairs of Heat Holder socks in an effort to drive away the cold weather.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #3102 on: 01 March, 2013, 08:43:02 pm »
yes i agree the tourlite is brighter than i expected but i think that running it on rechargeables might dim it a little  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #3103 on: 03 March, 2013, 10:43:33 am »
A return ticket Oban-Craignure-Oban in April ( there will be another island hopping trip in June/July, just can't confirm dates and area yet ).

Not exactly bike stuff but its getting me and the bike out and about.
Hope the weather is as nice when I'm there as it's been the past 2 months! It's a bit overcast there today but I shan't complain so long as I actually get there.

I've just put a big X on today's date on the calendar to get things started :D
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #3104 on: 04 March, 2013, 01:14:02 pm »
SNAP!  Well, ish.  A single ticket, plus bike reservation, from Kendal to Oban in late May (so about 30 bits of orange cardboard) for the princely sum of £18.80.  Must remember to get the return half in a fortnights time when the cheap tickets are released.  Otherwise I'll have to stay in Scotland on the Western Isles instead of coming back to work - oh, hang on....

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #3105 on: 04 March, 2013, 01:17:12 pm »
Balls. 22 off ¼” for Pat Hanlon BB.

« Reply #3106 on: 04 March, 2013, 05:06:12 pm »
A blue b17 :blush:

It's arrived, its fitted and it looks great with my frame colour.

I'm just trying to persuade myself to buy the bar tape to match but its nearly the price of the saddle :(
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #3107 on: 04 March, 2013, 05:11:13 pm »
Some wider handlebars for the road bike more fun fettling in store when they arrive  :thumbsup:
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #3108 on: 04 March, 2013, 06:54:05 pm »
A pair of Velocity A23 rims ('cos the LBS couldn't source them easily) and a Jteck ShiftMate #3.

The rims will be built up with Hope Evo 2 hubs and Sapim Xray spokes by the LBS who, I hope, will source all the other components.
I've gone for red hubs, red floating rotors and red quick releases. I hope it turns out on the classy side of bling.

The ShiftMate will go on the Dirty Disco with an Ultegra rear mech and a SRAM 32 cassette to help on hills.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3109 on: 04 March, 2013, 07:19:55 pm »
I'm just trying to persuade myself to buy the bar tape to match but its nearly the price of the saddle :(
That's where the line is drawn for me - I'll be putting an ochre B17 on the yellow Genesis, that goes without saying, but when it comes to retaping the bars after fitting the shifter and whatnot for the S3X it'll be good old Cinelli cork tape or similar.

I need to add another layer of tape to the curvy bit of the bars on the singlespeed, and whilst it'd be nice to have apple green tape to match the saddle the reality is that a roll of green splash cork tape is a hell of a lot cheaper (and I'll be less precious about getting it scuffed if I stack the bike into a tree or something)

« Reply #3110 on: 04 March, 2013, 07:34:10 pm »
(and I'll be less precious about getting it scuffed if I stack the bike into a tree or something)

This is my concern, not so much stacking it but a wall scuff or similar. I've found cinelli denim blue that looks close for less than a tenner. It's just vanity really, the black tape is still new so I may buy the denim and fit it when the black is worn.

£44 is just too much for something cosmetic that may be replaced within a few months! The ochre does look nice though :D

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #3111 on: 05 March, 2013, 09:13:29 am »
Re. leather bar tape, I bought some recently from PlanetX (San Marco I think) that was a bit more realistically priced; I think that different colours are available. I haven't used it yet but that might be worth a look.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #3112 on: 05 March, 2013, 09:23:56 am »
Spa Cycles stocks leather bar tape too, but only basic colours.

« Reply #3113 on: 05 March, 2013, 09:33:10 am »
I looked on spa and their brooks tape is cheap ( compared to others ) but no blue.
Their own tape is priced well but again no blue :(

Thanks anyway ;)

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #3114 on: 05 March, 2013, 09:43:30 am »
PlanetX appear to have Selle Monte Grappa in blue ( http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/BTSMGL/selle_monte_grappa_leather_bar_tape ) It's still £30 though.  :(

« Reply #3115 on: 05 March, 2013, 11:10:55 am »
Easton EC70 carbon seatpost ordered from Chain Reaction yesterday morning.

Postie has just delivered  :thumbsup:

CrinklyAuntie

• aka Auntie Cake and The Sheriff of Christmas
« Reply #3116 on: 05 March, 2013, 02:36:04 pm »
I wasn't sure where to post this as it was an unexpected gift that arrived today (it was CrinklyUncle who bought it).  The pink might not be to everybody's taste but I love it and I've wanted one of these since seeing one last year at the rally in York.

fuzzy

« Reply #3117 on: 05 March, 2013, 02:51:30 pm »
I must say that frame looks Splendidly Spiffing.

You now need Bobb's hat to go with it :thumbsup:

« Reply #3118 on: 05 March, 2013, 04:41:48 pm »
I wasn't sure where to post this as it was an unexpected gift that arrived today (it was CrinklyUncle who bought it).  The pink might not be to everybody's taste but I love it and I've wanted one of these since seeing one last year at the rally in York.

Yay! :D I like the pink. You need pink bar tape to match, of course.

LindaG

« Reply #3119 on: 05 March, 2013, 04:52:36 pm »
Cor.  That.  Is.  Gorgeous.

How are you building it?  And with what?

Just curious  :)

CrinklyAuntie

« Reply #3120 on: 05 March, 2013, 04:54:41 pm »

Yay! :D I like the pink. You need pink bar tape to match, of course.

Thanks. I think it's already on order  ;D

I must say that frame looks Splendidly Spiffing.

You now need Bobb's hat to go with it :thumbsup:

Thanks  :thumbsup:

CrinklyAuntie

« Reply #3121 on: 05 March, 2013, 05:00:01 pm »
Cor.  That.  Is.  Gorgeous.

How are you building it?  And with what?

Just curious  :)

It is quite beautiful, I think I'm a little bit in love with it.  As for the building, I think you'll have to ask my in house mechanic  ;)

« Reply #3122 on: 05 March, 2013, 05:07:10 pm »
When going to the right sort of bike shop, with frames hanging up all over the place, I have often thought I would like to buy one simply to hang on the wall.  It'd be a bit of a waste, although just sitting looking at it and planning what to do with it would be better than watching an awful lot of telly.

My latest purchase is a Carradice Audax by Janet.  Thanks Janet.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #3123 on: 05 March, 2013, 05:20:29 pm »
My latest purchase is a Carradice Audax by Janet.  Thanks Janet.

I see they've renamed the Super C Barley and made it a regular product, as opposed to the under the counter special it used to be.  Good move.  I suspect that interest here and on Cyclechat is what did that!

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #3124 on: 05 March, 2013, 05:35:42 pm »
Some fancy-dan green Vittoria tyres.
Look out, Jord, Ah'm comin' after ye!  :demon:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.