Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 869462 times)

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #3425 on: 08 July, 2013, 12:17:42 pm »
Some brake blocks for the Spare Parts bike.

For a bike that is supposed to inherit parts from its betters, its becoming very spendy at the moment.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #3426 on: 08 July, 2013, 12:20:43 pm »
An Aldi wireless computer for £6:99 to replace a >20 year-old Cateye Mity2. Seems to work well; might well buy a second one.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3427 on: 08 July, 2013, 12:23:17 pm »
couple of "sleeping bags" for the transcontinental race - combined with the silk liners (which are in the post) they should do the job, i hope.. :-\
I bought myself one of these a while back, ostensibly as part of my Tour Divide-oriented sleep system:

http://www.totalaccessonline.co.uk/Products/Accessories-and-Bags/Medical-Kits/Sol-Emergency-Bivvy?gclid=CIfctuLjn7gCFSXHtAodykEA4A

I've not used it in anger (yet) but it packs down fairly small and looks to be reusable with a bit of care. Not as light as a space blanket, obviously, but far less faff. The stuff sac is quite handy too.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3428 on: 08 July, 2013, 03:01:06 pm »
An Aldi wireless computer for £6:99 to replace a >20 year-old Cateye Mity2. Seems to work well; might well buy a second one.
I've just bagged 3 of 'em from the Aldi near work; just fitted one to the 1x1, and the other two will go on Orange Bike #2 and Pugsley, respectively ...

Also, whilst not exactly cycling stuff, I picked up a pedometer for £8, which was a nice bonus - I can quantify our lunchtime walks now  ::-)

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #3429 on: 08 July, 2013, 03:48:30 pm »
Two innertubes (Conti 28s). It's that sort of week.

« Reply #3430 on: 08 July, 2013, 04:28:03 pm »
Some new cycling sunglasses. My existing ones have a cloudy patch on one lens having probably rubbed against something in a bag, which is slightly annoying when wearing them. The new ones are Oakley with transitions lenses, hopefully they will go clear enough for riding into the evenings when flies are about on LEL. I was very torn between going for polarising lenses instead, but the mixture of lighting there tends to be on long Audaxes swung it in favour of something that should be good in most conditions.

« Reply #3431 on: 08 July, 2013, 06:36:51 pm »
Some waterproof overshoes from Aldi.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3432 on: 08 July, 2013, 09:40:07 pm »
A SS grease nipple and associated grease gun for my Moulton. I need to get a new pair of Conti tyres; the old ones will show canvas soon.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3433 on: 09 July, 2013, 10:18:52 am »
2xrandonneur pro (cheap from ribble atm) + 3 inner tubes

£50!  bike parts are getting effing ridiculously expensive.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3434 on: 09 July, 2013, 10:22:18 am »
Some new cycling sunglasses. My existing ones have a cloudy patch on one lens having probably rubbed against something in a bag, which is slightly annoying when wearing them. The new ones are Oakley with transitions lenses, hopefully they will go clear enough for riding into the evenings when flies are about on LEL. I was very torn between going for polarising lenses instead, but the mixture of lighting there tends to be on long Audaxes swung it in favour of something that should be good in most conditions.

If they are anything like the lenses in my PowerRace glasses, they will be fine for riding in nearly all conditions.  Out and out bright sun might be a bit much for them (they don't go as dark as a proper polarised lens), but for the typical UK "sunny" day through to night riding they will be fine (I switched to these types of lenses as I am lazy git and can't be bothered to keep changing lenses, or carrying the spares, when out on a ride)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #3435 on: 09 July, 2013, 02:03:52 pm »

If they are anything like the lenses in my PowerRace glasses, they will be fine for riding in nearly all conditions.  Out and out bright sun might be a bit much for them (they don't go as dark as a proper polarised lens), but for the typical UK "sunny" day through to night riding they will be fine (I switched to these types of lenses as I am lazy git and can't be bothered to keep changing lenses, or carrying the spares, when out on a ride)

Ah thanks, that's good to know. Sounds like they are a good choice. Can't wait for them to arrive!
I watched a YouTube video of a Japanese guy going in and out of a building in his and thought they looked brilliant   :D

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #3436 on: 09 July, 2013, 08:57:03 pm »

Bought a second one, in a different colour.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #3437 on: 10 July, 2013, 09:06:58 pm »
Jagwire Ripcord gear cable set and an Easton riser bar for an On-One Inbred MTB under construction for No1 Son.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #3438 on: 11 July, 2013, 10:12:06 pm »
a bit of a shopping spree today:

specialized evo goretex rain jacket
s-works road shoes
romin evo pro saddle
assos t.607.4 bibs
lezyne carbon drive lite pump
pro gold chain lube
crud roadracer 2 mudguards
specialized virtue aero bottle+cage
nuun tablets and a couple of inner tubes

« Reply #3439 on: 11 July, 2013, 10:16:59 pm »

Ah thanks, that's good to know. Sounds like they are a good choice. Can't wait for them to arrive!
I watched a YouTube video of a Japanese guy going in and out of a building in his and thought they looked brilliant   :D

My Oakley M wave transition lens sunnies arrived and I fully test rode them today on a ride with a full mixture of conditions, from bright sunshine to tunnels through the hillside and dappled shady lanes. I had crystal clear vision all day, never too dark and never wanted for darker lenses. They also protected my eyes from wind on fast descents and didn't fog up when climbing or stopping while breathing heavily. A definite thumbs up from me  :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3440 on: 11 July, 2013, 10:40:18 pm »
Some extra-strong carpet tape, to encourage my missing roll of extra strong carpet tape to surface, with a view to completing the repair on my old Garmin.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #3441 on: 12 July, 2013, 06:02:58 pm »
Following its predecessor's untimely demise (thankfully without me in it), today I picked up a new Magic Hat - a Specialized Propero II. managed to blag club discount too, now I'm an SRC member, so £70 down to £60.

First reactions, without straying into Lift The Lid territory, is that it's light, comfy, and not too ugly for a polystyrene hat. Happy days.

« Reply #3442 on: 12 July, 2013, 06:37:49 pm »
Today I haz spent money on

New bottles because my camelbaks have gone sticky
New bottle cages for the above
A new seatpost with a little more setback for my Brooks
A new garmin mount because I snapped the other last week removing the unit
A new pair of ultegra pedals
A new pair of shoes because my Sidis have cracked

Postie will be busy next week because they're all from different shops :)
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3443 on: 12 July, 2013, 07:44:46 pm »
Some quite expensive spokes and unusual nipples, to be built into some carbon rims and Campag hubs tomorrow. They should ride quite nicely with silk tubs.

I'll be fitting some decent cotton tubs to a disk and trispoke combo tomorrow too.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #3444 on: 12 July, 2013, 09:49:56 pm »
Bit the bullet and clicked the BUY button on a Garmin Edge 800.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3445 on: 13 July, 2013, 01:02:48 pm »
Another 180mm disc rotor - this one is for Pugsley's front wheel so I can run the new Genesis in 'snow bike lite' mode :)

(I briefly toyed with the idea of a 203, but decided that would look completely insane even by my somewhat lax standards ;D)

« Reply #3446 on: 13 July, 2013, 08:36:41 pm »
Lidl socks at some silly price less than £1.50. Their mitts however, are no longer as good as they once were,  and  I declined accordingly.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #3447 on: 14 July, 2013, 10:45:33 am »
A silk nightie.
How is this cycling stuff? So that I have something non-lycra-and-sweaty to sleep in during LEL. Packs down to about 10x10x2cm, and weighs nearly nothing.

Chris S

« Reply #3448 on: 14 July, 2013, 10:46:47 am »
A silk nightie.
How is this cycling stuff? So that I have something non-lycra-and-sweaty to sleep in during LEL. Packs down to about 10x10x2cm, and weighs nearly nothing.

I hope you got me one too!  :-*

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #3449 on: 14 July, 2013, 10:54:32 am »
A silk nightie.

I hope you got me one too!  :-*

;-)