Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 869622 times)

Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #4300 on: 28 December, 2014, 06:56:12 pm »
Today I got myself a new camelbak mule and a pair of pogies  :thumbsup:

My old camelbak and bladder is on its last legs  :(
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #4301 on: 28 December, 2014, 07:03:43 pm »
Re bladder - can't they operate   :facepalm:
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4302 on: 28 December, 2014, 11:39:56 pm »
What in the name of Young's Modulus is that kink in the top tube for ???
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4303 on: 28 December, 2014, 11:52:31 pm »
What in the name of Young's Modulus is that kink in the top tube for ???
So you don't get your skirt caught
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4304 on: 28 December, 2014, 11:57:30 pm »
Ah, of course.  I thought it was because mountain bikers wanted to experience all the soggy corroded cable problems that recumbent riders take for granted...

« Reply #4305 on: 29 December, 2014, 09:02:50 am »

There's a coat and a door waiting for you
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4306 on: 29 December, 2014, 07:49:19 pm »
Some M520 pedals. Also a big fan for the turbo.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #4307 on: 29 December, 2014, 08:43:50 pm »
There are some very good drugs nowadays.  ;D
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

fuzzy

« Reply #4308 on: 30 December, 2014, 12:40:48 pm »
Some Bontrager Race Windshell gloves as my current not waterproof winter gloves have developed ventilatiuon in the fingers.

« Reply #4309 on: 30 December, 2014, 12:44:47 pm »
There are some very good drugs nowadays.  ;D

I've just found your coat too  :P

The new camelbak bladders are great though, quarter turn, quick release hose :thumbsup:

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #4310 on: 05 January, 2015, 01:07:14 pm »
Just arrived, two Altura Night Visions as kindly pointed out in the tips thread.

One age 7-9 black, as the EldestCub's old one (10-12) was somewhat roomy on the SmallestCub when we tried it, and one ludicrously bright yellow S as there were no XSs in any colour and that was the EldestCub's preference of the available colours in S, what with his first choice of black (goes with everything, doesn't show the dirt and involves minimal change since the old one was black too) not being an option.  I did offer to get the Evo instead to facilitate the ninja-with-reflectives look but he reckoned it wasn't worth the extra for the sake of getting a particular colour.  Both offer some room to grow, but the boys are happy with 'em.

With the special offer and discount code that came to £72.48 delivered, which isn't that much more than I paid for the Eldest's original one nearly 5 years ago!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4311 on: 05 January, 2015, 01:18:06 pm »
That ought to fend the rain off for a while, then.   :thumbsup:

Mine arrived a few days ago (reflective gurl-ninja edition, natch).  I got a hood for it at the same time, not so much for cycling, as for those situations when I'm touring and need to walk from A to B (or tent to toilet block) in the pissing rain and it's my waterproof coat.  Surprisingly, they seem to have designed a hood that might actually work for cycling in (at least, if worn under a helmet), with a peak, and cunning elasticated peripheral-vision-enhancing sides.

The ludicrously bright yellow will sort itself out with prolonged exposure to UV light and chain lube.   :D

CrinklyLion

« Reply #4312 on: 05 January, 2015, 01:21:22 pm »
I contemplated getting one at that price - but then remembered that unless I get one designed for 6annahalffoot-tall blokes wot are built like barrels it won't go round me, and that would mean it would go down past my knees and my hands would be roughly where my elbows should be in the sleeves and decided I couldn't be arsed and would continue to just get wet.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #4313 on: 05 January, 2015, 01:40:47 pm »
Got two pairs of Gore Windstopper tights in the sales from Evans.  One of my current pairs has a hole in the knee and the other has a broken zip.  Both seem to have completely lost the water resistant coating

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4314 on: 05 January, 2015, 03:35:47 pm »
The Inlaw Paw had bought me a Casco Speedster hat, with visor, for Christmas; but it arrived sans visor so on Boxing Day I phoned the retailer and the damsel said OK, she'd send one out.

Today the visor duly arrived, but this one had a complete second helmet attached.  Whee dawgee etc.  Except that I phoned them again and they agreed that they'd like the first one back.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4315 on: 05 January, 2015, 04:37:18 pm »
One age 7-9 black, as the EldestCub's old one (10-12) was somewhat roomy on the SmallestCub when we tried it, and one ludicrously bright yellow S as there were no XSs in any colour and that was the EldestCub's preference of the available colours in S, what with his first choice of black (goes with everything, doesn't show the dirt and involves minimal change since the old one was black too) not being an option.  I did offer to get the Evo instead to facilitate the ninja-with-reflectives look but he reckoned it wasn't worth the extra for the sake of getting a particular colour.  Both offer some room to grow, but the boys are happy with 'em.

Having, erm, outgrown my previous jacket and recently been feeling too camouflaged in the battleship murky Midlands grey available with the last interweb bargain I went for, I'm now sporting ludicrously bright yellow too.

Can you please inform the cubs that I will be expecting the glow-in-the-dark jammies dancing to now be supplemented by integrated i-Lume rear LED wiggling.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4316 on: 05 January, 2015, 04:57:21 pm »
I contemplated getting one at that price - but then remembered that unless I get one designed for 6annahalffoot-tall blokes wot are built like barrels it won't go round me, and that would mean it would go down past my knees and my hands would be roughly where my elbows should be in the sleeves and decided I couldn't be arsed and would continue to just get wet.

Based on my experience of Altura sizing, the "small" should fit perfectly. ;)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #4317 on: 05 January, 2015, 05:23:57 pm »
Specialized BG Rime: £59.99

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4318 on: 05 January, 2015, 05:24:44 pm »

TBH, unless you're standing around in a downpour, I don't think you're missing much.  They're far too hot to cycle in in all but properly freezing conditions, unless you're already soaked (which you will be with sweat if the rain doesn't manage it first).  Mainly useful for short journeys in shit weather, or for keeping warm on descents or slow rides.

Like a good pump, it's the sort of thing you want to have, but not use.

« Reply #4319 on: 05 January, 2015, 05:33:18 pm »

Based on my experience of Altura sizing, the "small" should fit perfectly. ;)

Yeah! I've only just moved up to a 14 from a 12 (TWELVE!), which I'm very much not IRL. Might be worth a sizing test-drive inna shop if you haven't done so already, just in case...

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #4320 on: 05 January, 2015, 06:12:42 pm »
A little box'o'essentials from Wiggle arrived today, with replacements for all the little bits I'd pinched off the other bikes when I bought the Genesis in the spring - pair of matching bottle cages for a change, a storage "bottle" for Rule #29 compliance  ;D easier portability between bikes, a second mini-pump mount and a new Garmin mount.

Oh, and some Haribo :D

CrinklyLion

« Reply #4321 on: 05 January, 2015, 06:27:33 pm »
Yeah! I've only just moved up to a 14 from a 12 (TWELVE!), which I'm very much not IRL. Might be worth a sizing test-drive inna shop if you haven't done so already, just in case...

They appear to go up to an 18 in ladies.  Trust me, I am rather more than two sizes bigger that you!  Said 'S' is apparently 3-4" smaller in the chest and the same sleeve length as a ladies 18.  The sleeves are too long on me, although not unbelievably so, and it is a LOT more than 3" too small for, ahem, shall we say... one's 'embonpoint'.

I resigned myself a while back to the fact that decent cycling gear, like quality swimming costumes, are manufactured based on the assumption that Really Fat People just don't.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4322 on: 05 January, 2015, 07:16:21 pm »
Just to be different, the 14 fits me quite well.  I'm 12-14 (depending on whether a given garment is designed for people with body length) IRL.  Altura must be designing them for hobbits with no tits (rather than the traditional 7ft bench-pressing amazon with no quads that most cycling gear is designed for).

« Reply #4323 on: 05 January, 2015, 08:23:26 pm »
2 pairs of silk glove liners (the second pair to cover postage).
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #4324 on: 05 January, 2015, 10:46:39 pm »

They appear to go up to an 18 in ladies.  Trust me, I am rather more than two sizes bigger that you!  Said 'S' is apparently 3-4" smaller in the chest and the same sleeve length as a ladies 18.  The sleeves are too long on me, although not unbelievably so, and it is a LOT more than 3" too small for, ahem, shall we say... one's 'embonpoint'.

I resigned myself a while back to the fact that decent cycling gear, like quality swimming costumes, are manufactured based on the assumption that Really Fat People just don't.

Not directed at you Crinkly personally in any way, I notice recently that that fat lad at the back has started to do a range of ladies cycling kit going upto a more realistic size range, not that cheap but not too bad. http://fatladattheback.com/product-category/lasses/