Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 851285 times)

Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #5775 on: 24 June, 2020, 09:53:08 am »
Went crazy and splashed out big on an Action Camera.  Gopro Hero8.
I bought a cheaper version; the Crosstour CT8500 @ £40, inc postage.

A chap in our club has one, and his two reveiws are very complementary.

Thanks for the heads up, maybe I will get one of those too for the price! 

Next year (it should have been this year) I will try to do an ambitious Alpine ride (on a hire bike) and I thought I would get the action camera for that.   I now have a year to learn to get the best I can out of it.

ps do you have a link to the reviews?
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #5776 on: 24 June, 2020, 10:46:49 am »

ps do you have a link to the reviews?

Here are a couple of reviews done by a chap in our club:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebcuUyG ... 7-gvkDGZDI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUCYuHI ... S44ywB2-Ls

The second is a follow-up, with additional information about how the camera works and
what it can do.

« Reply #5777 on: 24 June, 2020, 11:16:16 am »
Eeek. Some spokes and a wheel truing jig. (I already bought the rims and I'm reusing two hubs.)

Wish me luck. I may be gone some time.
Rust never sleeps

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5778 on: 27 June, 2020, 01:36:49 pm »
Replacement back tyre and a few tubes.  And of course, once the order was paid for and acknowledged, remembered that I need new gloves.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5779 on: 27 June, 2020, 02:37:46 pm »
Over the course of the last few days/weeks; two rims, 44 bladed spokes, 44 nipples (they sent 50), a flat spoke key, a dishing tool and a truing jig.

Just waiting for the dishing tool and truing jig to arrive. The front wheel is laced ready for truing.

Very exciting. (Amazing what a lockdown can do for one's spare time. That, and the local wheel builder having no spare time until October.)
Rust never sleeps

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #5780 on: 27 June, 2020, 09:50:53 pm »
I managed to find a distributor which actually had some bikes in stock.  After selling 2 more today, I've now only got 4 new bikes left in the shop to sell!
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #5781 on: 27 June, 2020, 11:26:00 pm »
I managed to find a distributor which actually had some bikes in stock.  After selling 2 more today, I've now only got 4 new bikes left in the shop to sell!
Good times ?
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #5782 on: 28 June, 2020, 07:51:38 am »
Went crazy and splashed out big on an Action Camera.  Gopro Hero8.
I bought a cheaper version; the Crosstour CT8500 @ £40, inc postage.

A chap in our club has one, and his two reveiws are very complementary.
Should have saved time then and just done the one.
FFS  ::-)

« Reply #5783 on: 28 June, 2020, 07:54:24 am »
Carradice Bagman QR Expedition arrived just one day after ordering.
Now supporting a 45 year old Karrimor saddlebag, fixed to 10 year old Rido saddle attached to a 6 day old Moulton TSR A8 named Wilson.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #5784 on: 28 June, 2020, 06:27:25 pm »
In the last week: a couple of vintage (pre-1980) Carradice saddlebags (dirt cheap but tatty - going to be a repair project); a Kinlin ADHN rim for my first attempt at a wheelbuild; a Knipex pliers wrench for headset fettling.

« Reply #5785 on: 03 July, 2020, 05:44:11 pm »
A frame bag (Topeak, to match my saddle & bar bags). We'll be allowed to wild camp from 15th July, so I've booked a week off work and am planning to head off in search of some long-lost cycling mojo...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5786 on: 04 July, 2020, 02:34:15 pm »
A GRX chainset and a new 40mm G-One.

The former as I am getting old and the latter as I have developed a bad habit of skidding the Renegade.

Won't be fitted until Wednesday, though as it and tld's Cube are both booked in at the lbs for a service.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5787 on: 08 July, 2020, 07:38:56 pm »
A pair of late-90s FIR SC200 rims arrived from Italy in an interesting purple-brown anodised finish, quite unlike the ST200 sprint rims I have.  I'm building some utterly conventional 32 spoke wheels on NOS Shimano 5700 hubs - the last of the "real" 10 speed 105 ones - in the hope that they solve the horrendous rear flexing problem with the Boardman TC - I can't use the largest rear sprocket as the mech hits the spokes, and there is brake rub too.

If these don't work, the frameset and DT wheelset are going on eBay and I'll put the parts on a steel racing frame.  With the honourable exception of slope's wheels on the Moulton, I have never had any luck with Other People's Wheels.  I'm still riding a DT Revolution-spoked front wheel I built in 2004.  It's a cheap no-name rim, it's hit countless potholes, it's done two Dun Runs and it is as good aa it ever was.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5788 on: 11 July, 2020, 12:20:24 pm »
The usuals from Planet X - socks, arm warmers, and face masks. 😷

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #5789 on: 16 July, 2020, 03:25:26 pm »
Just bought the last (hopefully) bits for my new bike build. A stem, bars and spacers. I hope that's it now, as I want to crack on with building it up and then riding it. the workshop I took it to did all the bits I couldn't do (face BB shell, stuff like that) so it's all ready to be built up. I just need to finish putting the front wheel together and then get on with it.

« Reply #5790 on: 19 July, 2020, 08:24:03 am »
Bitten the bullet. Needs must and all that. With the current waiting lists at LBSs I have no choice but to sort our one hydraulic braked bike out. When it gets warm (like yesterday) both brakes jam on.

Ordered a brake bleed kit yesterday.
Rust never sleeps

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #5791 on: 21 July, 2020, 04:21:27 pm »
Bitten the bullet. Needs must and all that. With the current waiting lists at LBSs I have no choice but to sort our one hydraulic braked bike out. When it gets warm (like yesterday) both brakes jam on.

Syringe is cheaper ;)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #5792 on: 21 July, 2020, 04:23:12 pm »
Bought 6 yes six le coq sportive tour de france cycling caps.  two green, two yellow and black thermal, one white and a khaki one with two peaks at 180 degrees....

Khakhi instead, but this doesn't fit me as it is a small :(

Gimme a shout if you would like a hat they are 5Euro.

« Reply #5793 on: 21 July, 2020, 04:44:56 pm »

Syringe is cheaper ;)
Yup, but the kit comes with new fluid, two syringes, the right threaded fittings for the bleed ports and two tube clamps. I'm so not looking forward to this job that I don't want to be able to excuse the likely mess up on poor tools.
Rust never sleeps

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #5794 on: 21 July, 2020, 04:50:01 pm »

Syringe is cheaper ;)
Yup, but the kit comes with new fluid, two syringes, the right threaded fittings for the bleed ports and two tube clamps. I'm so not looking forward to this job that I don't want to be able to excuse the likely mess up on poor tools.

If you can bleed a car or motorbike then cycles are the same.

Some people have issues but never had an issue....until I had a master cylinder with a blocked return so the fluid would not return to the reservoir.  That took a long while to figure out.

« Reply #5795 on: 21 July, 2020, 05:00:21 pm »
I tried to buy a nylon wrap around bottle holder.
I was offered some at £13 with bright blue rubber bits or £14.99 with orange stripes or £40 in carbon fibre.
I declined. The last one I bought was two quid from a remainder bin outside a shop in Newport, Salop.
I'm waiting until a £5 maximum one creeps up on me.

« Reply #5796 on: 21 July, 2020, 05:15:51 pm »
I was offered some at £13 with bright blue rubber bits or £14.99 with orange stripes or £40 in carbon fibre.
I declined. The last one I bought was two quid from a remainder bin outside a shop in Newport, Salop.
These are three quid, though unless you want something else to go with it the postage will probably more than double that
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/bottles-cages/profile-stryke-kage-black/

« Reply #5797 on: 21 July, 2020, 05:20:55 pm »

Syringe is cheaper ;)

If you can bleed a car or motorbike then cycles are the same.

Some people have issues but never had an issue....until I had a master cylinder with a blocked return so the fluid would not return to the reservoir.  That took a long while to figure out.
I've bled cars' brakes since I was a nipper, but for those all you had to do was attach the bleed pipe to the bleed nipple on the calliper/wheel cylinder, loosen the nipple, and pump the pedal, whilst ensuring that the master cylinder stayed topped up.

The manufacturer's instructions for the bike brakes I'm lining up to do require pumping fluid from the calliper back to the master cylinder (lever), and there's no handy bleed nipples on either fitting, so I'm more than happy to pay the £20 for a bleed kit.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #5798 on: 21 July, 2020, 06:34:32 pm »
Gattopardo's post reminds me I ordered one of these last night:

A bit dearer at £15 but I saw one somewhere and decided I must have it.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #5799 on: 21 July, 2020, 10:14:45 pm »
These are three quid, though unless you want something else to go with it the postage will probably more than double that
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/bottles-cages/profile-stryke-kage-black/
Thanks for that but I do not buy from the Bridgewater Bandit and the review - an overgenerous four stars - confirmed my prejudice.
Something will turn up locally; it always does.