Linked Events

• Cogidubnus CC 200 & Cheesy Peas 110 events - Richmond: 06 August, 2016

Author Topic: Cogidubnus CC 200 & Cheesy Peas 110 events - Richmond-upon-Thames - Aug 6th 2016  (Read 8690 times)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
After a number of years of assisting/getting in the way on a number of audax events, I have thrown my hat into the ring as an organiser.

I am pleased to have put together two new events starting in Richmond in August.  Richmond is easy to reach on trains and Underground/Overground, and there's parking nearby.

I have kept it simple and these are X-rated events using some decent commercial controls.  If anyone fancied being a controller at any of the controls, I would be delighted to reward you with your weight in cakes and tea for the duration. I would be especially interested if anyone fancied being in Peaslake as that is the control location where PoP is slightly trickier for me to arrange.

Neither event is hilly enough for AAA action, but do manage to compress their climbing into a handful of pretty meaty climbs in the Surrey Hills and South Downs (in the case of the 200).  Combe Lane and Barhatch Lane are the headliners (on the way back as well.....), but there's a couple of other stinkers and a handful of more gentle climbs.  I've managed to keep it off the main roads wherever possible and on some really pretty lanes (I much prefer lanes to main roads, but accept that others don't!).

The 200km event is the Cogidubnus CC (double century or cheese and cake you see), turns near Chichester - entry here.

The 110km event is the Cheesy Peas 110 and entry is here.

There's some more information on my own website here.

Any questions, drop me a line and I look forward to seeing some of you on what is guaranteed to be a beautiful sunny day!  Something to look forward to when the weather is so cold and grey at the moment!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Always good to have new events, will check my diary

Excellent you could have hundreds

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Looks very tempting.... will have to work out when the summer holiday is going to be and hope that mid-August appeals to her ladyship  ;)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

parkysouthlondon

• PBP (11,15,19,23), 1001Miglia (2021), TCRNo8(2022)
    • SWRC FB
After a number of years of assisting/getting in the way on a number of audax events, I have thrown my hat into the ring as an organiser.
Well done MJB for putting something back. Any experienced cyclist with 5+ years in audax should think along the same lines as you and consider being an organiser at some stage.
I will be supporting your X rated event.
South Western Road Club
2024 events    Tour Divide USA

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Looks very tempting.... will have to work out when the summer holiday is going to be and hope that mid-August appeals to her ladyship  ;)

Cool. 

It always struck me as odd that there were so few events in August.  I know people are away, but not everyone is away at the same time and, hopefully, it's a good time of year to be on a bike!
Right! What's next?

Any experienced cyclist with 5+ years in audax should think along the same lines as you and consider being an organiser at some stage.

Yes indeed well done MJB, I will be there...unless I'm not...like many I tend to be away in August. If that happens perhaps I'll check your routesheet.

Meanwhile, having ridden others' events for some 13 years, I too will be putting something back this year: a 200 from Surbiton (also SW London) on September 11th. I don't want to derail this thread though, so further info will soon appear on a new thread.

hillbilly

I see certain similarities with the route I used for my 300km calendar event last year.  This guarantees it will be a fantastic route  ;)

I won't ride the event but, depending on final holiday plans, I might (given I think it's important to have more BR events in the south east) make myself available as a controller on the 200 (if such helpers are needed) in any bits between the A25 and the A247.  Just PM/email me if you need help.

I suspect you will be able to get a helper down Chichester way (from the Pompey massive or some other local AUKs) if you tout around for it.

LMT

Nice one, will check nearer the time but this could be a nice day out/taper before the trip to Italy for the Miglia Italia.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
Any experienced cyclist with 5+ years in audax should think along the same lines as you and consider being an organiser
:facepalm: True. I had A Cunning Plan for events from Tonbridge but I did not acquire A Round Tuit. This has reminded me. Perhaps not this year as I'm off to NordKapp for the summer. Maybe next year.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
Will see if I can sneak one of these in but it the the weekend most likely for a birfday party for my son.

Your web pages are t'rrific and the effort you've put in there alone makes me feel I should be doing everything I can to travel south for this. HNY btw.
Your next 1200's your best 1200.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Thanks Pichy and happy new year to you as well!
Right! What's next?

Excellent job MJB.  If I can be there I will be riding.  :thumbsup:
37.9 miles from Marsh Gibbon

It was very cruel of you to use that image for the Facebook event you created!  ;)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
It was very cruel of you to use that image for the Facebook event you created!  ;)

Only for vegans!  Great cheese on toast for sure!
Right! What's next?

It goes up Bedham Hill!  That's my favourite hill.  I grew up at the bottom of it.  Top banana.

Diary permitting I shall endeavour to be there.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
It goes up Bedham Hill!  That's my favourite hill.  I grew up at the bottom of it.  Top banana.

Diary permitting I shall endeavour to be there.

If I've got the right one in my head, that's a cheeky one and has a 15% sign on it?  Beautiful climb, but quite tough! 

I've managed to find a couple of lovely climbs in the bits in the South Downs that were less well known to me (some luck, some judgement (aka Streetview!), there's one from Easebourne that really is lovely, not overly steep, but quite long and climbs about 150m through lots of woods and stuff (might be rubbish in summer though, it was very atmospheric on a grim winter's day!)).
Right! What's next?

That's the one...there's a steeper edition a bit further West along the A272 that takes you up a bit higher.

The Easebourne st climb is lovely also, glorious in summer, dappled shade etc.. with a very steep descent t'other side.

menthel

Entered the 110 after negotiations with wife. Will see if I can get some others interested.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Super!

The 110 is a great ride. That is really where it all started, based on my training loops and club runs. It is quite a tough ride with some big climbs packed into the middle section, but very pretty indeed.

I hope that it will attract a few newer riders etc., I have floated the idea past my local club and a number of them seem keen.  With 11 hours to get around, it should be well within the grasp of anyone with a bit of fitness.

I may spin around it tomorrow depending on other plans.
Right! What's next?

menthel

Super!

The 110 is a great ride. That is really where it all started, based on my training loops and club runs. It is quite a tough ride with some big climbs packed into the middle section, but very pretty indeed.

I hope that it will attract a few newer riders etc., I have floated the idea past my local club and a number of them seem keen.  With 11 hours to get around, it should be well within the grasp of anyone with a bit of fitness.

I may spin around it tomorrow depending on other plans.

I have put the idea out to the commuting people on bike radar. I took a few on the Ditchling Devil back in 2014 and they quite enjoyed it I think! For me it's sandwiches in between the Ditchling devil and old roads and drove roads this year.

hillbilly

These look great Marcus, I'll be there!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Rode the 200 route on Saturday. First time since two spins around it in January.

Happy to confirm that it is a much better ride without rain, flooding and extreme wind (though there was still a fairly stern wind on Saturday).

I can also confirm that less walking is involved if you take a bike with gears! Barhatch in particular is much more agreeable on 36/28. 

I will tidy up the route sheets and gpx files this week and get them on the website.

Entries have come in steadily for both events since January, which is great to see. Still plenty of room though.

Summer is coming!
Right! What's next?