Author Topic: Which bottom bracket?  (Read 5994 times)

Re: Which bottom bracket?
« Reply #50 on: 17 April, 2021, 09:11:07 am »
Ah..quite right! My bad. The photo is in fact the FC24, and not the FC25. You can tell because the splines on the FC24 are 4mm deep rather than 5mm on the FC25. Well spotted.

You can also tell because it has FC24 etched in the rim.
It's not etched. It is raised or embossed, as the injection moulding tool which formed it will have had a corresponding indentation at that point.

« Reply #51 on: 17 April, 2021, 09:17:55 am »
TL-FC24  is 39mm diameter and fits SM-BB9000, BB93
TL-FC25 is 41mm diameter and fits BBR60 and SM-MT800

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #52 on: 17 April, 2021, 12:51:14 pm »
It's not etched. It is raised or embossed

Ok, I’ll take your word for it! Hard to tell in the pic.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #53 on: 17 April, 2021, 06:52:16 pm »
An interesting range of experiences. I’ve replaced BBs with Hope models for about eight years, including CX race bikes that get a lot of muddy abuse. I’ve not had to touch one of them. When it’s time to replace the bearings, it appeals to me that I’ll just be replacing the worn part, rather than disposing of the whole thing.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #54 on: 17 April, 2021, 07:05:38 pm »
An interesting range of experiences. I’ve replaced BBs with Hope models for about eight years, including CX race bikes that get a lot of muddy abuse. I’ve not had to touch one of them. When it’s time to replace the bearings, it appeals to me that I’ll just be replacing the worn part, rather than disposing of the whole thing.

That's pretty much my take on it too.
Well, that, and RED, obviously.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #55 on: 20 April, 2021, 12:13:58 am »
The new bottom bracket arrived yesterday, but I have yet to fit it. The Hope one is still in place, with intermittent creaking. I put a load of grease around the bearing and I think it's possible that that grease is taking a while to have an effect, but it may be improving. I'll give it a few more days before deciding whether to change it.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #56 on: 20 April, 2021, 09:36:25 pm »
FWIW, every HTII BB I've fitted (about six or seven of them) I've put PTFE tape and Copaslip on the threads before fitting.
So far, this has rendered the squeaks and creaks silent.