Author Topic: Gitane TdF bottom bracket ball bearing size and source  (Read 653 times)

Gitane TdF bottom bracket ball bearing size and source
« on: 09 October, 2020, 01:12:51 pm »
Like a numpty I have lost the bearings out of my 1975 Gitane TdF bottom bracket and the steerer in the house move.  Now that it is back from being resprayed I would like to start rebuilding it and wondered where I could source appropriate bearings.

It is a stronglight bottom bracket.

If anyone knows the sizes or a source I would be very grateful.
Chris

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Gitane TdF bottom bracket ball bearing size and source
« Reply #1 on: 09 October, 2020, 01:15:02 pm »
11 x 1/4” is standard.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 09 October, 2020, 03:34:10 pm »
lost the 'steerer'...?   Do you mean the handlebar stem?

Mostly (in UK/US/Japanese built bikes) they are 22.2mm (7/8") dia where they go into the fork.  However French ones which also use a 25mm (instead of 1") headset thread tend to use a 22.0mm dia stem instead.  These are not that easy to find. Nor is it the only possible alternative size, either.

So do try a normal 22.2mm stem but if that doesn't go in, it might well be that you need a 22.0mm one instead.

cheers

« Reply #3 on: 09 October, 2020, 03:38:30 pm »
sorry brucey,  I was meaning the headset.  I am looking for the size of the ball bearings in the headset

« Reply #4 on: 09 October, 2020, 04:23:58 pm »
headset ball bearings on a bike of that vintage are most likely 5/32" but there is no way to be absolutely certain that they are not 1/8" or 3/16" (less common but also possible) without trying different ones 'for size'.

Assembling with loose (rather than clipped) balls is more fiddly but ultimately  results in a stronger headset bearing.  You will normally need about 25 balls for each race if they are 5/32" size.

cheers