Author Topic: Tour de France 2019  (Read 21484 times)

Nick H.

Re: Tour de France 2019
« Reply #175 on: 29 July, 2019, 02:19:32 am »
Such an exciting race until Pinot dropped out, but after that it became very dull. Bernal may be talented but he didn't do anything spectacular. Not a thing. Neither did G.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #176 on: 29 July, 2019, 07:58:49 am »
It wasn't dull for those of us who were hoping that Alaphilippe wouldn't fall off the podium.  Pleasing that he got the super-combative in Paris, he's a good bloke.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #177 on: 29 July, 2019, 08:09:44 am »
Pinot whacked his thigh on the bars trying to avoid a crash and tore a muscle. He then rode for two days with cramp-level pain before retiring.

Not necessarily related to him being French in any way, but I was thinking how the best riders always seem to be the luckiest, and maybe Pinot needs to think about how he might make himself a luckier rider.

Wasn’t it the Tour of Flanders a couple of years ago where Sagan avoided a rider falling in front of him by bunny-hopping over him?

Getting caught the wrong side of a split in the peloton is the kind of bad luck that Tour winners seem to have the knack of avoiding too.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #178 on: 29 July, 2019, 10:54:49 am »
a good example of avoiding a crashed rider: https://youtu.be/DFttKvN9X9w?t=78, their reflexes and skills are on another level, but sometimes it's unavoidable (like for the following riders who saw it too late to react).

« Reply #179 on: 29 July, 2019, 11:05:18 am »
Such an exciting race until Pinot dropped out, but after that it became very dull. Bernal may be talented but he didn't do anything spectacular. Not a thing. Neither did G.
Bernal attacked and none of the others could respond. It might not be repeatedly attacking like Pinot, but what Bernal did in the stage that was cancelled was a spectacular display of climbing.

« Reply #180 on: 29 July, 2019, 01:01:28 pm »
Yes, that was 43km out from (what was thought at the time to be) the finish, with about 6km left of the Iseran and 7.5km of the climb to Tignes to come. Not quite as bold as it would have been without Thomas, but he couldn't help that.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #181 on: 29 July, 2019, 03:00:58 pm »
A special grumble for the official TdF website, which didn't get the page-foot banner out of the way no matter how many times you accepted cookies and which, as it has done for the last n years, still manages to show the name of the previous stage and that of the next one, but not that of the current one. Sterling work, cheps!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #182 on: 29 July, 2019, 09:17:58 pm »
A special grumble for the official TdF website, which didn't get the page-foot banner out of the way no matter how many times you accepted cookies and which, as it has done for the last n years, still manages to show the name of the previous stage and that of the next one, but not that of the current one. Sterling work, cheps!

It barely worked at all on my fondeslab.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #183 on: 30 July, 2019, 08:24:23 am »
Dead slow & stop on mine.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #184 on: 30 July, 2019, 09:08:56 am »
Same here often the map, stage profile didn't load on chrome/win10 I had to use EDGE or Brave to get it to show. Android/Chrome as also not linking the site.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #185 on: 30 July, 2019, 12:07:19 pm »
I used the Tour Tracker app.  Costs money (£5.99 I think)  for all the bells and whistles, but works well, and covers Giro, Tour, Vuelta, plus this year TDU, Dauphine, TdeSuisse, La Course, and Tour of Utah. Often they add the Tour of Britain too, tho not showing so far this year.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #186 on: 31 July, 2019, 12:46:40 pm »
A tale of two photo galleries, Part 1 - some cracking photos in this set, courtesy of the Grauniad:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jul/28/blood-rain-and-cheers-tour-de-france-2019-in-pictures

Part 2, courtesy of Cycling Tips:

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/07/the-2019-tour-de-france-in-100-frames/
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #187 on: 31 July, 2019, 12:53:41 pm »
And now for something completely different - Cycling Tips had a play with FaceApp, with results equally hilarious and terrifying:

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/07/a-glimpse-into-the-tour-de-france-2070-grand-masters-edition/
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #188 on: 31 July, 2019, 01:31:56 pm »
Marvellous, especially the Guardian ones.

Edited: I wonder why they didn't change Nairo Quintana on that second set.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #189 on: 31 July, 2019, 02:29:26 pm »
I don't see anything unusual.  After all:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #190 on: 31 July, 2019, 06:37:16 pm »
And now for something completely different - Cycling Tips had a play with FaceApp, with results equally hilarious and terrifying:

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/07/a-glimpse-into-the-tour-de-france-2070-grand-masters-edition/

I can't see the difference between the 2019 and 2070 versions of Bethany's Dad Rigoberto Urán :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #191 on: 31 July, 2019, 06:56:45 pm »

I can't see the difference between the 2019 and 2070 versions of Bethany's Dad Rigoberto Urán :demon:

It's a bit of a struggle WRT Norman Lovett - sorry, Dan Martin - as well.