Author Topic: I have succumbed to buying Rainlegs  (Read 10510 times)

I have succumbed to buying Rainlegs
« on: 09 February, 2009, 11:12:59 pm »
This is a topic I didn't ever think I'd start.
I thought they looked rather silly and very un-aerodynamic.  Not that I am aerodynamic though  ;D
This morning my commute in was miserable due to the cold rain but the only area that really suffered was my upper thighs.
On the way home it was worse.  Once again, the upper thigh.
Aside from spending ridiculous money on a windproof / waterproof set of Assos winter tights, I thought I'd give Rainlegs a go.

I couldn't face the denim ones, but I would if I'd bought the Wanker socks, so I went for the all black option instead.

Re: I have succumbed to buying Rainlegs
« Reply #1 on: 09 February, 2009, 11:16:19 pm »
I believe that at this point someone has to say "This thread is useless without pictures".
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #2 on: 09 February, 2009, 11:19:00 pm »
I will post them once they arrive.  I will try and grow a beard next  ;D

simonp

« Reply #3 on: 09 February, 2009, 11:19:45 pm »
Some have been known to find rainlegs quite alluring.  You know who you are.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 09 February, 2009, 11:21:02 pm »
Wonders idly what wanker socks are.

I have rainlegs, but find that packing them in the rack bag is the best way of proving MetCheck wrong.

PS it is snowing.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #5 on: 09 February, 2009, 11:21:40 pm »
Dogs will bark and small children will lob stones.  Make sure that nobody you ride with (or past) has a camera or camera phone.

But Rainlegs work.

Unfortunately.

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #6 on: 09 February, 2009, 11:24:49 pm »
I'm by and large really happy with my Rainlegs. Wore them for about 20 miles today in the rain today.

I just wish they didn't have the perforated tea bag bit at the top so the water can run down my top and through the tea bag bit. They soak my trousers underneath if I haven't got the rainlegs pulled right up to where they're too close to ball-crunching for comfort.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #7 on: 09 February, 2009, 11:35:57 pm »
Rainlegs work - and what is more, most people don't even notice that you are wearing them - especially the black ones.

Choice between rain-sodden legs, sweat soaked legs, or rainlegs, and I'll chose the rainlegs.

« Reply #8 on: 10 February, 2009, 06:11:52 am »
Tony,
Exactly why I bought them.  23 miles in the rain each way today made me succumb.  It was just not at all comfortable.  For that sort of mileage one deserves to be at least comfortable and snug.
But I still can't believe I have succumbed.

J,
I don't mind that at all.  I have my new Super C so there will be room for them in the bag  ;D

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #9 on: 10 February, 2009, 07:46:48 am »
Got a black pair for Xmas.
First rate gift.
Good for both rain and dry sub zero weather (good windproofing).

Only problem I've found so far is that which ever way I roll them up one of the fasteners is under strain and makes me think it might tear loose after a while.  So far I generally don't bother rolling them up, I just sling them in my rucksack if I don't need them. They're not heavy.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

annie

« Reply #10 on: 10 February, 2009, 08:08:20 am »
Some have been known to find rainlegs quite alluring.  You know who you are.

O:-)

Hmmm.  I do find them rather alluring and I blame FWN for starting this on the Christmas ride a couple of years ago. ;)

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #11 on: 10 February, 2009, 08:16:38 am »
I have also been thinking about these for some time. its probably time I also gave in and just bought some. They've been added to my cycling wishlist, somewhere above an Event jacket and a Thorn Audax Mk3. ( but slightly below a new 9 speed chain and some more innertubes)
Owner of a languishing Langster

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: 10 February, 2009, 08:24:54 am »
You've got to admit that there's a certain sensual frisson about cinching tight the straps round the thighs and under the buttocks.

Probably the same reason I've always had a thing about climbing harnesses.

Relax into it, people - learn to enjoy  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #13 on: 10 February, 2009, 08:26:48 am »
You've got to admit that there's a certain sensual frisson about cinching tight the straps round the thighs and under the buttocks.

Probably the same reason I've always had a thing about climbing harnesses.

Relax into it, people - learn to enjoy  :D

And I thought I was just buying something to keep my legs dry  ;D
Owner of a languishing Langster

« Reply #14 on: 10 February, 2009, 08:28:38 am »
I will post them once they arrive.  I will try and grow a beard next  ;D

That will give youthe time to order and buy your sandals....

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15 on: 10 February, 2009, 09:18:43 am »
Chaps. ;D
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #16 on: 10 February, 2009, 09:21:09 am »
I believe that at this point someone has to say "This thread is useless without pictures".

I thought someone should say, 'Rain's a bit slack' ;D
Getting there...

fuzzy

« Reply #17 on: 10 February, 2009, 01:08:03 pm »
Got given a set of grey ones by the bods at the company a several of years back. Still doing the work they were intended for, though now showing signs of delamination. I've got a black set in the locker ready to take over when the grey ones die.

I use knee warmers in the cold but, when using the rainlegs, the knee warmers are redundant.

« Reply #18 on: 10 February, 2009, 01:13:32 pm »
Not that I am aerodynamic though  ;D

Your head though mate...

(actually maybe not, wearing a martlehat).
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #19 on: 10 February, 2009, 01:14:09 pm »
p.s. I like rainlegs, I just rarely get to use them since I don't ride my upright much.  I'm sure you'll look rather fetching in them.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #20 on: 10 February, 2009, 01:30:04 pm »
I own, and have used a pair of rainlegs (and I'm now getting help for it :P). Although they undoubtedly work I just don't particularly like the sensation of having something Velcro'd round my leg when I'm trying to cycle. They also catch on my saddle when returning to a seated position after a climb or something - quite annoying. Worst of all, on a club training ride someone thought I was wearing Bermuda shorts! :o F**k that...

« Reply #21 on: 10 February, 2009, 01:45:33 pm »
I own, and have used a pair of rainlegs (and I'm now getting help for it :P). Although they undoubtedly work I just don't particularly like the sensation of having something Velcro'd round my leg when I'm trying to cycle. They also catch on my saddle when returning to a seated position after a climb or something - quite annoying. Worst of all, on a club training ride someone thought I was wearing Bermuda shorts! :o F**k that...

Mate, you can wear almost anything - no matter how ridiculous and still look cool. The rain legs were pushing it though  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #22 on: 10 February, 2009, 01:58:23 pm »
I have very much appreciated my rainlegs for the last few commutes. I don't find they keep you completely dry, but they do keep your thighs warm. During the winter, my rainlegs (and waterproof jacket, if I'm not wearing it) are always in my pannier.

« Reply #23 on: 10 February, 2009, 02:01:46 pm »
I really, really want a  pair. I am fed up of numb thighs.

Stop sniggering at the back.

alan

« Reply #24 on: 10 February, 2009, 03:23:19 pm »
atm I am using rainlegs made from skintex & they are about 850mm long thus preventing my ar&e from dragging on the floor. Some one has suggested that I need something similar for my knuckles ;D