Author Topic: Flights of Fancy  (Read 85068 times)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Re: Flights of Fancy
« Reply #375 on: 22 August, 2021, 10:02:26 am »
Chiribiri No. 5.  Getting there.   Yesterday.

https://vimeo.com/ 590509079   <-- Bolt them together.

Newsreel courtesy of Jon Markovitz

Still stalling, but was expecting that as I'd swapped out the plasticene for a slightly lower Pb weight - smaller volume, brings the mass forward a fraction - and am bringing the weight back up slowly.  Matters not helped by my wasting a good fraction of the session trying to get it airborne with a tired motor which resulted in lots of high speed ground runs and a complete refusal to unstick. Clot.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

TheLurker

« Reply #376 on: 22 August, 2021, 12:14:18 pm »
I forgot to post this...

https://vimeo.com/ 590276957

John Whatmore's quad rotor based Harrier inspired by the stuff John Stennard has been doing.  The guts and controller are from a cheap "drone" and the fuselage is 2mm Depron with an ink-jet printed skin.  The really sneaky thing about JW's design is the horizontal mounting plate for the rotors which means he can get the wing anhedral angle right and provide the longitudinal reinforcement the Depron needs.  To keep the weight down he's using a single LiPo which means endurance isn't great, but it's pretty convincing when it's aloft.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #377 on: 22 August, 2021, 12:24:44 pm »
An unnecessary space
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

TheLurker

« Reply #378 on: 22 August, 2021, 12:30:11 pm »
Quote from: LittleWheelsandBig
An unnecessary space ...

The YACF site sw* embeds a viewer if you drop the un-spaced url in.  I have "embed" switched off on the clips cos I get really pissed off by embedded video in pages.  Simple enough to bolt the URL together.

*Or it may be Vimeo, but the only place I see this behaviour with Vimeo URLs is here.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #379 on: 22 August, 2021, 06:39:50 pm »
I prefer a single click to get to the right place but whatever floats your boat.

TheLurker

« Reply #380 on: 22 August, 2021, 07:22:14 pm »
Not my problem.  Take it up with the stupid bastard who thought it was a good idea to automatically convert a plain URL in a piece of text into an embedded video player.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #381 on: 22 August, 2021, 07:35:58 pm »
I’m not bothered enough to hassle the mods or to modify gapped URLs most of the time but I figured a quadcopter Harrier model was interesting enough.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #382 on: 23 August, 2021, 02:23:00 pm »
It's a bit off that the forum still embeds the video if you create a proper hyperlink with text:

TheLurker

« Reply #383 on: 04 September, 2021, 04:01:38 pm »
Quote from: Kim
It's a bit off that the forum still embeds the video ....
Isn't it though? I'd also tried that in the past.

Peter's BE2c again.  Showing us rank amateurs how it should be done.   Same meet as my footage above, but a much better bit of film altogether from Jon M.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LtUzw4Dq6D8g9Vrg7 

If it's not obv. click the play button, top right.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #384 on: 07 September, 2021, 09:01:37 am »
This appeared in my YouTube side bar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YSXmKaWG-M
It is simpler than it looks.

TheLurker

« Reply #385 on: 10 September, 2021, 07:21:37 am »
Quote from: Jaded
This appeared in my YouTube side bar   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YSXmKaWG-M
Interesting approach, but it seems a terribly unsatisfying way (to me) to build model aircraft.

I'm being lazy.
Slingsby Prefect wrap up.
More or less trimmed -  https://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=438.msg277315#msg277315

Roll out snaps -  https://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=25415.msg277385#msg277385

TheLurker

« Reply #386 on: 24 September, 2021, 08:00:19 pm »
A scheme for Tolkein obsessives.  :)

This one is a rush job for tomorrow so no glazing yet ,pity the poor pilot, and those awful plastic wheels will be replaced with balsa ones in slow time. As pictured 13g, will be trying it out with a 2.5g motor and haven't a clue how much nose weight it'll need.

TheLurker

« Reply #387 on: 25 September, 2021, 08:33:48 pm »
Indoor flying today.

This is John Whatmore's no-cal B25.  It was flying beautifully until I jinxed it by trying to film it.  Still worth watching though.

https://vimeo.com/ 614541047   <-- Usual story, glue 'em together.

The rush job Elf actually flies.  Who'd have thought it?  Bit of a record for me.  Ignoring the time taken to tidy up the plan, which doesn't count, then about a fortnight.  Crikey.

https://vimeo.com/ 614618075

For those that care about this stuff...
1400 turns on 16" x2 x 3/32".
Prop is VMC (Peck Pattern) 6" cropped to 5.5"
AUW 15g according to the kitchen scales, but probably nearer 16g. Have to weigh it properly tomorrow.
Additional 1/16" shim for down thrust.

That setup is probably the limit for the hall given how much the circuit opens up as the torque decays.

TheLurker

« Reply #388 on: 11 November, 2021, 07:17:13 pm »
Current little, really little, project.  It's a 12" span rubber powered Courtesan (search Vic Smeed Courtesan) and is my take on David Deadman's 12" CO2 version of the design.  Well it might be, it all rather depends on whether or not I can cram the planned motor into it, because there's very, very little clearance.  The target AUW without motor is 12g which gives the same wing loading as the Elf so the same sort of motor as fitted to that ought (one can hope) give a decent endurance. Weight as seen, 2.9g with another 0.4g or so to add for the UC.  Best guess for built, covered, but undoped, weight at the moment is somewhere between 5g & 6g.

In case you're wondering.  I did the sums and the weight reducing voids in the ribs will save - brace yourself  - and this is best case - 0.3% of the target AUW.  Wow! :)

« Reply #389 on: 15 November, 2021, 11:03:26 am »
Lurker how do you work out how much aileron to get them circling without hitting the walls? It must be different for every model and presumably differs with the amount of power as well.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #390 on: 15 November, 2021, 11:33:17 am »
You think he posts links on here to the videos where they crash and burn ?   :-D
Rust never sleeps

TheLurker

« Reply #391 on: 15 November, 2021, 02:38:01 pm »
Quote from: pcolbeck
Lurker how do you work out how much aileron to get them circling without hitting the walls? It must be different for every model and presumably differs with the amount of power as well.
A great deal of,  "suck it and see" accompanied by a large helping of pained wincing as they hit the walls followed by anxious inspection to see if it'll still fly.  :)  It does help that there's a really good article by Don DeLoach on sorting out trim for (scale) Free Flight models based on the Tail Volume ratio which goes a long way to making them behave (more) predictably. Even so there's still a degree of trial and error. 

Quote from: Hatler
You think he posts links on here to the videos where they crash and burn  ...
*Ahem*.  Points to the pic of the Sopwith Camel in bits further up thread.  :)  The only one I had in that line is of my West Wings Swallow losing its port wing on a launch at Uffington two or three years ago.  If I can find the link I'll repost it because the way the detached wing flutters back to earth is (sort of) charming to see.

« Reply #392 on: 15 November, 2021, 02:41:39 pm »
I meant no offence, just an easy quick and hopefully little prod of fun. And yes, I did see that earlier vid.
Rust never sleeps

TheLurker

« Reply #393 on: 15 November, 2021, 02:51:47 pm »
I meant no offence, just an easy quick and hopefully little prod of fun. And yes, I did see that earlier vid.
None was taken, your comment put a dirty great grin on my chops.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #394 on: 16 November, 2021, 08:45:23 am »
Gents,  what TL hasn't disclosed, is how Lurker Industries have been able to miniaturise an OS52 4-stroke, and all the 2.4GHz radio control gubbins, into components the size of a pin head so they are hidden inside the balsa parts.

Not only that, he then flies the thing using thought control.  No, I dunno how it's done either.  I used to think very hard "pull up, pull up!!!" when flying my, admittedly, rather larger aircraft, but I never had the success at thought control flying that TL clearly does.

Very clever people, those guys at LI.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #395 on: 16 November, 2021, 11:15:42 pm »
Not a fan of Drones but I got a Tiny one, in a case/charger.  It's about 8cm at the widest and I can link it to the "Magic Telling Bone" and get FPV from it! 
I'm actually looking for a "Park Flyer" sized flying boat.  A Hughes Big Yin isn't affordable so if anybody has suggestions?
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

TheLurker

« Reply #396 on: 17 November, 2021, 08:18:37 am »
Quote from: Pedaldog
I'm actually looking for a "Park Flyer" sized flying boat.  A Hughes Big Yin isn't affordable so if anybody has suggestions?
Umm.  Niches within niches.  The only (A)RTF flying boats that I know/knew of were PB-Y Catalinas. One by Dynam at 58" span & the other by Great Planes at 54", but both are now discontinued and are a little too large to be considered park flyers.  You might be able to get one second-hand on the one of the various electronic tat bazaars.

It's not really the same thing at all, but some of the small high wing monoplane RTF PFs can be converted to float planes quite successfully.

I hadn't thought about it until you mentioned it, but something like a 36" (0.9m) span Short Empire/Sunderland FB taking off from the local duck pond would be well worth seeing.

Quote from: AndyTheFlyer
....flies the thing using thought control.
:D

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #397 on: 17 November, 2021, 01:18:32 pm »
I'd love something like Sunderland.  WRT RTF, I have an Ares Gamma that can take a float kit, i just Love the "Less Delicate"  styles of planes.  I haven't built, or rather Completed, a Balsa build for over 45 years and with my current health I think I'd have trouble building anything small.  No space for Big so.....
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

TheLurker

« Reply #398 on: 22 November, 2021, 10:55:17 am »
Quote from: Pedaldog
i just love the "Less Delicate"  styles of planes.  I haven't built, or rather Completed, a Balsa build for over 45 years and with my current health I think I'd have trouble building anything small.  No space for Big so.....
How about this?   Supermarine Walrus, 38" span plan?

a) Quite definitely not a "delicate" and large amounts of sheet in the construction so ought to be a straight-forward build.
b) Small enough for "Park" use, but not a "tiny" tweezers & magnifying lens build.
c) RC conversion & ROW has been proven, see the articles accompanying the plan at the bottom of the page.  Conversion dates from 2016 so the tech. used will still be current.

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #399 on: 22 November, 2021, 09:50:16 pm »
Right size and a Lovely Plane that has all the Style that I'm looking for.  Good Find, now Downloaded for a start in the New Year.  Thanks for the link.