Author Topic: DOMS  (Read 6545 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
DOMS
« on: 19 February, 2019, 11:25:44 pm »

At my physio's suggestion, last night I joined a circuit training session they run at the local gym. It was a 1 hour session, and by 45 mins in I was really flagging. I was expecting that for such a new set of exercises I'd have a little bit of DOMS, but I noticed right away at the walk up the stairs to the changing rooms that I was pretty sore. Roll round to 12 hours later, and waking up this morning everything hurts. Walking is painful, and stairs are quite a challenge.

Any idea how long I should expect such muscle soreness to persist? Any suggestions on things I can do to help recover faster?

I'm going back for next Wednesday's session, but I'd hoped to get some HIIT sessions in on the bike before then.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

simonp

Re: DOMS
« Reply #1 on: 20 February, 2019, 01:43:41 am »
It might well last 2-3 days or longer. I often find that I feel better after a steady cycle - you might need to do that instead of the HIIT.

We’ve been doing circuit training at the rowing club. I’ve found it disrupted my ability to train effectively the next day. I did weights yesterday and have quite sore legs. I’m pushing today’s workout to Weds to recover more.

« Reply #2 on: 20 February, 2019, 02:50:03 am »
I suffer badly from it, especially when returning to lifting. I mean, really badly.
Water, eat good food, rest
Gently movement
BCAA supplements also seem to help some, but mostly, it's just something you have to suffer through.

« Reply #3 on: 20 February, 2019, 06:10:58 am »
we were talking about this at training on Monday, consensus was that you need to go to circuits regularly, the doms gets better after 2 or 3 weeks and is barely there at all after that, but if you miss a couple of sessions you're back to square 1!

« Reply #4 on: 20 February, 2019, 07:25:20 am »
Massage and a recovery exercise session.

Recovery exercise sessions should be gentle. So if the exercise is running, and you normally run a 5min per km pace, run 5km at 6-7min per km.

If you were doing circuits or weights, then do some light circuits, gently, slowly with light weights (moving gently through full range of movement).

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #5 on: 20 February, 2019, 06:11:52 pm »
we were talking about this at training on Monday, consensus was that you need to go to circuits regularly, the doms gets better after 2 or 3 weeks and is barely there at all after that, but if you miss a couple of sessions you're back to square 1!

Yes, it usually comes after a 'higher effort than usual' session.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 20 February, 2019, 07:25:52 pm »

The main pain now is in the vastus medialis, getting up from sitting, or sitting down is still uncomfortable. I've tried walking a bit today. Tomorrow I'm gonna try a 25k ride on the Brompton. I've just taken 400mg of ibu to see if that helps a little.

For now tho, an early night

J
--

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #7 on: 20 February, 2019, 07:29:07 pm »
my own experience - muscles hardly ache the same and the next day, but start _really_ aching after two days. it then takes 3-4 days for pain to go away.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 20 February, 2019, 07:31:11 pm »
my own experience - muscles hardly ache the same and the next day, but start _really_ aching after two days. it then takes 3-4 days for pain to go away.

Yup, hence the DO in DOMS. I was surprised how fast it set in this time, normally it as you describe. I just want to get back on the bike asap, I hope next weeks session doesn't wreck me as much.

J
--

« Reply #9 on: 10 January, 2020, 07:01:51 am »
FWIW I listened to a TrainerRoad podcast and research points towards ibuprofen blunting adaption so should be avoided if possible.

Phil W

« Reply #10 on: 10 January, 2020, 11:37:48 am »
I'm getting DOMS at the moment after longer sessions on my new recumbent.  It's really hitting the glutes like nothing else in a long time.  After last weekend's 200 I found I had full on DOMS for a couple days, third day was a milder version, and four days later DOMS had gone but legs fatigued.  I find a bit of low intensity spinning, easy rides, or going for a gentle walk helps.  It just see it as part of your muscle adaption as they get stronger.  I don't expect it every time, but if I've done a longer or harder session than I'm used to, I'd expect DOMS.  I certainly wouldn't try and dull / mask the pain as it's my body telling me to take it a bit easier till my muscles have repaired themselves and gone through the super compensation cycle.  Legs definitely getting stronger, so it's all good.