Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134104 times)

fuzzy

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #14175 on: 11 November, 2019, 09:53:08 am »
A brace of waffles with maple syrup with my new anbaric waffle iron.
Nom

« Reply #14176 on: 11 November, 2019, 12:43:07 pm »
A brace of waffles with maple syrup with my new anbaric waffle iron.
Nom

Obligatory Far Side cartoon: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9b/5f/f3/9b5ff3a4b3b888df642c8dbae81b305d.jpg  :demon:

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

fuzzy

« Reply #14177 on: 11 November, 2019, 10:58:41 pm »
 ;D

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14178 on: 16 November, 2019, 11:25:01 am »
Thursday, replaced the front tube on my fixed during the morning commute. Hopefully I’ll have a clear run for the next few months. Winter flats are a pain to fix.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #14179 on: 16 November, 2019, 01:27:02 pm »
Put the studded tyres on my commuter. Replaced a bulb in our security light.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #14180 on: 16 November, 2019, 06:58:35 pm »
Invited the green bike outside so we could get clean together.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #14181 on: 16 November, 2019, 07:00:37 pm »

And remolished your b0rked mudguard.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #14182 on: 16 November, 2019, 07:26:45 pm »

And remolished your b0rked mudguard.

So I did. All hail the great cable tie!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14183 on: 17 November, 2019, 05:40:05 pm »
Replaced the front tube and a rotted Velox rim tape on my trike, luckily in the warmth at home. I'm starting to feel a bit 'got at' with four flats fixed on three machines in under a fortnight.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14184 on: 20 November, 2019, 02:37:21 am »
Rerouted the string wot connects router and wall socket away from as many cables, network switches, power supplies and other bits of anbaric gubbins to see if this improves the general shitness of my internet connection.

It appears not to.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #14185 on: 20 November, 2019, 07:06:48 am »
Replelaced the horrid flexy caliper on the front of the fixed gear with...
Other horrid flexy caliper, because I couldn't be bothered to shop around for one with the right length mounting bolt (that goes right the way through the fork). Hopefully it'll work alright, long enough for me to sell the bike to someone to use as their town beater.

YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14186 on: 20 November, 2019, 12:54:39 pm »
Rerouted the string wot connects router and wall socket away from as many cables, network switches, power supplies and other bits of anbaric gubbins to see if this improves the general shitness of my internet connection.

Time for a binary search of the switched-mode power supplies in the surrounding area?  Our ADSL took much offence when a cheap shitty power injector from China decided to take a leaf out of Nikola Tesla's book and go into the wireless power business.  I only discovered this retrospectively when it eventually decided it was having so much fun as a spread-spectrum radio transmitter that it gave up spitting out the 48 voles it was supposed to.

On a related note, it's that time of year again.  Hold onto your intertubes, the REINdeer cometh!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14187 on: 21 November, 2019, 09:52:05 am »
Nothing terribly untoward in the vicinity of where the string used to go, power supplies for various bits of hardware from Reputable Suppliers for eg Seagate, WD, Netgear.  In any case, I can live with it until the  Nice Man comes round on the 3rd to complete my FTTP installation.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14188 on: 21 November, 2019, 10:25:29 am »
Started de-rusting MrsT's old geologist's hammer with 600-grit something-or-other paper.  I thought the thing was stainless, but 20 years in the boot of the old A4 thought otherwise.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14189 on: 23 November, 2019, 04:40:55 pm »
new deraillieur [sp?] hanger on the Giant and remounted the deraillieur itself, took all of 5 mins.

The silicone wristbands on my medalert bracelet eventually split and need replacing, so today I bought an offcut of leather from the man on the market who sells belts. He trimmed it to width for me and I've remounted the info plate and clasp.  Took a bit of faffing at the ends where the clasp attaches - it has a little doodah that flicks over with serrated teeth that locate and bite into the strap to hold it in place.  Needed a bit of shaving of the leather as it was too thick to get the clasps over TDC and then bite.

All for the princely sum of £2 and I should have enough for another one at least, possibly 2
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #14190 on: 23 November, 2019, 05:04:44 pm »
Raked out grubby grouting around bath, and cut away sealant which was showing signs of mould.  Grout now replaced, and left to dry.

According to YouTube videos, applying silicone sealant requires anything from a tool-box full of special tools to, well, to just a wet forefinger. In the past I've used some plastic thingies to create a nice concave seal, but having watched a door fitter achieving an excellent finish with a wet digit, I think I'll be giving it a try.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14191 on: 23 November, 2019, 08:04:55 pm »
The trick is not to get silicone on the digit before you wet it.

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #14192 on: 23 November, 2019, 09:36:24 pm »
The trick is not to get silicone on the digit before you wet it.
Yep, it's also suggested that washing-up liquid is a good lubricant for the job.  Will experiment.

« Reply #14193 on: 23 November, 2019, 10:22:34 pm »
This years Christmas cake. We make one cake a year, and that’s it. It’s looking (and smelling) good.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #14194 on: 27 November, 2019, 09:57:02 am »
I tried the dilute washing up liquid trick and was brilliant. Much better than just a wet finger.

« Reply #14195 on: 30 November, 2019, 03:35:30 pm »
Cleaned my car windows with IPA (not the brewed type) and a posh version of Windowlene, in an effort to reduce condensation these cold mornings. I guess I’ll see how effective it is Monday.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #14196 on: 30 November, 2019, 05:16:58 pm »
Started a like-for-like rim transplant. A spoke had started to pull through the open pro rim.

Having built two wheels from scratch earlier this year, this job is easier.  Very satisfying. Work suspended pending the arrival of the tension meter.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14197 on: 30 November, 2019, 05:56:30 pm »
Started pulling apart the rear axles on HK’s Trykit and found a brazed joint becoming significantly less so. A car trip to get it fixed will be needed.

Reassembled HK’s Roberts after its recent Aussie trip. Replaced the batteries in both taillights, flintmined the tyres and brakepads. The Igaro/ Cyo is being problematic and it isn’t the Shimano dynohub. Something to sort out tomorrow, along with replacing the 0.75% chain.

Still to change the Alfine oil in HK’s MTB commuter and check the gear cable adjustment but I suspect the 11sp hub internals might need to be replaced soon. This young lady’s hobbies can get expensive sometimes.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14198 on: 01 December, 2019, 11:59:47 am »
Replaced the Big Apples on HK’s MTB commuter, along with the rear brake pads and cable, sprocket, chain and Alfine 11 gear oil and cable. Pinched a goo-filled tube, the first time I’ve done that in decades, so had to fit a normal tube instead! Played with the Shimano dynohub lego block and ordered a replacement cog. The SS chainring is fine, of course.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14199 on: 02 December, 2019, 03:35:12 pm »
wore my winter softshell today to the physio, first tiem since my off last October - I missed all of last winter effectively.  It's got a rip in the left sleeve that looks repairable with thread and then a bit of magic waterproof duck tape I think, so that's this evening's job.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens