Author Topic: Your favourite chip shop snack  (Read 23558 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Your favourite chip shop snack
« Reply #100 on: 22 February, 2020, 09:42:12 am »
Umpteen years after Half Man Half Biscuit first sang about it, there is finally a Hip Hop Chip Shop.  I hope they get royalties, or at least free chips.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #101 on: 22 February, 2020, 05:13:19 pm »
My staple is macaroni pie supper  :P

ian

« Reply #102 on: 23 February, 2020, 06:38:41 pm »
Fritters

Fritters and chips was what we ate as kids. Two fritters atop a bag of chips, and for 5p extra you got all the crispy bits of potato and batter found in the fryer (scraps). Oh special occasions, you might be able to afford a battered sausage (still one of the best culinary creations). Those and mushy peas. I'm not actually sure there's anything better than mushy peas.

Friday nights at my grandparents always involved actual fish and chips, there was one across the road on the 'island'* – my gran would have us take bowls and stuff to be filled. It was a thing, you'd see people wandering around the estate with kitchenware every Friday evening. They would wrap things up in paper if you didn't have the contents of your kitchen cupboard to hand.

To be honest, and risking nationalistic heresy, I find most fish and chips a bit disappointing, a pile of stodgy damp chips with a limp oil-sodden piece of fish draped on top. A combination of underheated oil and the results sitting around trying to get a tan under the heat lamps. Chips should be crispy and nothing should bleed oil when you stab it with a fork.

I can't say I eat fish and chips more than once every couple of years. There's a chippy near us that we always say we'll go to, but when we're in the mood for stodge, say returning home after a long hike and then a couple of pints, it's closed (10pm, if I recall). I suppose that's liberal compared to some opening hours. There used to be one near us in Sheffield (by Ecclesall Park) that I think closed about 7pm every evening (and didn't open weekends). I can't say I ever eat before about 9pm, and usually later.

*basically a huge roundabout with grass in the middle, it's was a 30s council estate that was actually nice, had open spaces etc. Nowadays, of course, it's a rash of poor home 'improvement' decisions, infested with badly parked cars, often on those green spaces, now all churned up. And who'd build an estate there days with open space just for the hell of it?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #103 on: 23 February, 2020, 07:38:19 pm »
Your chippy clearly still does stuff the bad old way.

Pretty much every one round here cooks to order.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #104 on: 23 February, 2020, 07:50:22 pm »
I had forgotten about this thread, despite contributing to it.

Our local chip shop (still the same one as in 2011, run by the same family) still does the "special". it used to be called the pensioner's special. Small piece of cod and half a portion of chips. That's what we normally buy when we go there. It's plenty.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #105 on: 23 February, 2020, 10:14:20 pm »
If there is no fish ready, then I will go for a saveloy, as I'm a busy man, and can't be doing waiting for fish to fry. The chippy closest to me has now gone halal, or rather has a sign up in the window stating that it's halal. The halal saveloy is indistinguishable from a non halal saveloy tastewise, and that was a pleasant surprise.

« Reply #106 on: 24 February, 2020, 07:45:31 am »
The halal saveloy is indistinguishable from a non halal saveloy tastewise, and that was a pleasant surprise.

I think I'm right in saying that Halal will really only apply to meat and meat products  :demon:

ian

« Reply #107 on: 24 February, 2020, 09:39:44 am »
Your chippy clearly still does stuff the bad old way.

Pretty much every one round here cooks to order.

Most of the ones I've seen lately seem to be the fried-anything school, offering the standard hearty London fayre of deep-fried ratchicken, burgers, etc.

But like I say, I've not really tried any of the local ones. That said, I've only lived here six years. One mustn't rush into such matters. I think the last time I had fish and chips was in Battle. They were alright, but we'd just spent the day hiking there from Eastbourne and frankly would have eaten anything that promised calories.

They do bring back a nostalgic rush though. Fish and chips on a Friday night were something to look forward too, especially if you'd tried my mother's cooking. If the island chippy is still there, it probably serves burgers and ratchicken too. I don't think people pop-over with a pot to be filled, for sure.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #108 on: 11 April, 2020, 02:32:28 am »
Cod bites, small chips (still enough for two) and mushy peas. Sometimes a curried veg spring roll.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #109 on: 12 April, 2020, 04:41:14 pm »
I can't wait for the chippy to be open again. I'm gonna get chips with gravy and pour Hendos on it.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #110 on: 16 April, 2020, 12:52:50 am »
Your chippy is closed? Ours are still open albeit via delivery.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #111 on: 16 April, 2020, 01:45:34 pm »
Quite fancy fish and chips, and I can pretend to be by the sea side.

« Reply #112 on: 17 April, 2020, 05:29:31 pm »
Your chippy is closed? Ours are still open albeit via delivery.

The one closest is shut. I'm sure there's almost certainly anotherone nearby that would deliver but I'm not getting chippy delivery on my own.