Author Topic: Pilates - is it a thing for me?  (Read 2368 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Pilates - is it a thing for me?
« on: 06 May, 2015, 12:19:40 pm »
Recently I've been suffering from back pain, both after a long ride and from Spanging my back by lifting something awkwardly.

Ibuprofen helps and the pain goes within a day or so (mostly).

I seem to recall that some here go to pilates classes and wondered if I would find it beneficial.  Improving core strength and posture would do something to help with the post long ride suffering I think.

Or is it woo?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Re: Pilates - is it a thing for me?
« Reply #1 on: 06 May, 2015, 12:30:36 pm »
Not woo.

I've been doing Ashtanga Yoga for 2 months and have gone from groaning and creaking when getting off the floor to bounding about. Definite improvement on bike too.

Best of all, the teacher has not once mentioned 'spirituality'.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #2 on: 06 May, 2015, 12:32:03 pm »
It's good, do it.

But go to someone who has done some proper training i.e.. Pilates Foundation and not someone who's done a weeks course.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3 on: 06 May, 2015, 12:33:55 pm »
Yeah, what they said.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #4 on: 06 May, 2015, 12:41:04 pm »
Pilates Foundation and not someone who's done a weeks course.
+50

Ditto if you are looking at Yoga.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 06 May, 2015, 06:38:06 pm »
I've been going to a Pilates class for a couple of years. I ditched tai chi in its favour.

I find it a challenge, largely because of my elephantine physique, but the stretches and excercises  are very good for me, I am sure.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #6 on: 07 May, 2015, 12:59:51 pm »
Nothing wrong with Pilates, I'm not going to diss it.

However, no particular type of exercise is a magic cure for back pain. No doubt regular exercise is a vital part of managing back pain but whatever works for you is ok, and more importantly, find something you enjoy and are prepared to keep doing it.

WRT to cycling, a bike fit might help to improve your position and reduce back pain (it helped me). And take care of your back when lifting, you don't want to pop a disc (but that's another story).
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #7 on: 07 May, 2015, 04:23:39 pm »
If you take a look at the "semi-supine position" as recommended by teachers of the Alexander Technique (my brother is a qualified teacher of this) I have found that very helpful in the reduction of back pain.

http://www.stat.org.uk/learning/semi-supine refers.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #8 on: 07 May, 2015, 06:54:41 pm »
However, no particular type of exercise is a magic cure for back pain. No doubt regular exercise is a vital part of managing back pain but whatever works for you is ok, and more importantly, find something you enjoy and are prepared to keep doing it.
I think this is right.

I've been shown exercises by an NHS physio, & have an information sheet she gave me to remind me what to do. They certainly help. The only problem is that they're boring.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #9 on: 07 May, 2015, 07:23:15 pm »
....which is where a structured class comes in.  I love doing yoga classes but I get bored doing it on my own

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #10 on: 11 May, 2015, 09:14:19 am »
Another recommendation for yoga. My local place (a dedicated studio) does warm yoga (where the room is heated) which I find much better as it allows more muscle movement. I always used to get cramp in my feet doing yoga in the  usual 'village hall' class type setting.
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

« Reply #11 on: 11 May, 2015, 09:58:01 am »
As in many things, there are different types of Pilates - for back pain I'd suggest a "body control" type of class, that works on core strength.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #12 on: 12 May, 2015, 08:45:53 am »
Pilates and walking help me.

A.

« Reply #13 on: 12 May, 2015, 09:42:51 am »
Tim, you need to speak to Rachel about back pain and Pilates.   Send us an email, she would be pleased to help.

Russell

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #14 on: 12 May, 2015, 10:05:37 am »
I find it a challenge, largely because of my elephantine physique

I was wondering when someone would mention the Wowbagger in the room.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #15 on: 13 May, 2015, 05:04:48 pm »
I think this is right.

I've been shown exercises by an NHS physio, & have an information sheet she gave me to remind me what to do. They certainly help. The only problem is that they're boring.

Tim - other than related stretches - it won't help any injury you've just acquired, but if you suffer from back pain after long rides it may well help

Bledlow - you may well find the exercises you've been given are just variations of what you'd get in a Pilates class - there's a lot of crossover between yoga, dance, physio and pilates, but it does tend to have more emphasis on core strength, together with flexibility and joint mobility. IME yoga tends to have more emphasis on flexibility - but in both cases, it's very dependant on instructor, who should ask about any injuries at the start of a class and make allowance/suggest alternatives accordingly.

It was devised as a rehabilitation method - TBH I don't know how much the different schools (or should that be franchises..?) differ, I think our instructor studied with Michael King (Pilates Institute rather than Stott/BC/Winsor AFAIA), but she tends to pull in all sorts of stuff as well as going back to something nearer classical Pilates from time to time.
I'd suggest a by-product tends to be better body-awareness and recognising one's own poor posture, tho' that has seem to escape my OH who did it for some time, but who often has a grumbly back because she stoops when standing/walking  :facepalm:

FWIW the 'semi-supine' is the neutral-spine position start point for a good chunk of Pilates - there shouldn't be anything pulling yer back out of alignment (typically - straightening the legs down).

I often used to have trouble with beds, hotel or otherwise, when on holiday - doesn't stop me waking up with some backache on an unsuitable mattress but it seems to have given more resilience and I shrug it off pretty quickly. It's certainly kept me ticking over even when I wasn't doing anything else fitness or flexibility-wise.