Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2455412 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #5350 on: 03 April, 2012, 11:07:17 am »
Hey, metformin, that's half the price I paid for my posh bike ;D

<<<-That one

Yours looks like a real bargain.  And I don't care if you spend £X,0000.00 or pick up summat free from the tip, it's all about getting out & riding it.  Your bit of classic steel (with, I note, that new-fangled indexed gearing ;D ) looks like it's going to carry you for a good few miles yet.
Getting there...

« Reply #5351 on: 03 April, 2012, 12:43:53 pm »
Really tidy, Metformin  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5352 on: 03 April, 2012, 01:30:28 pm »
I bought this on eBay just before Christmas and had it delivered to work.  It hasn't been home yet, but it's useful for the lunch time spin, especially as my hire bike annual membership has run out.  I'm retiring in five weeks, so it's not worth paying for another year.

DSCN0255 by RWPD, on Flickr

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #5353 on: 03 April, 2012, 01:43:35 pm »
@starkj73 You've either got very long legs and short arms or you may wish to swap (or even dispense with entirely) your width and height tags to this :D

Code: [Select]

Current MTB

[img width=640 height=580]http://webspace.mypostoffice.co.uk/~alan.starkey/Gen1.JPG[/img]

Previous MTB

[img]http://webspace.mypostoffice.co.uk/~alan.starkey/Giant2.JPG[/img]

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #5354 on: 03 April, 2012, 03:27:21 pm »
Odd, it works for me

Current MTB

Previous MTB

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5355 on: 03 April, 2012, 03:29:10 pm »
Still a bit elongated there.  Unless that's a Biopace front wheel ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #5356 on: 03 April, 2012, 04:24:33 pm »
I bought this on eBay just before Christmas and had it delivered to work.  It hasn't been home yet, but it's useful for the lunch time spin, especially as my hire bike annual membership has run out.  I'm retiring in five weeks, so it's not worth paying for another year.

DSCN0255 by RWPD, on Flickr

I like that.  :D

Also use a Moulton (a De Luxe) as a works 'nip to the shop' bike. I have the bag on the back which is incredibly useful.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5357 on: 03 April, 2012, 04:45:34 pm »
Gosh, that is so tempting a thought...
Getting there...

« Reply #5358 on: 03 April, 2012, 06:49:04 pm »

I like that.  :D

:D :D :D Thank you.

I was given 2 Mk3s and a Series 1 by a friend of Polly's father.  I'm running around on the best of them, it goes to the station most days.  I reallly should leave use a bike that's a bit more replaceable!

IMG_4736 by RWPD, on Flickr

It's mainly original - including the twist grip and 3 speed with hub brake.  One of the original pedals snapped off recently.

I've also got a mini with front suspension - it's a single speed and needs some attention, but it's quite cute.

IMG_4747 by RWPD, on Flickr

They are remarkable bikes.  I was very pleasantly surprised the first time I rode the Mk3 and came back with a big grin on my face.  They'd be even better with some lighter bits and a wider range of gears.  A retirement project.

metformin

« Reply #5359 on: 03 April, 2012, 07:57:58 pm »
Hey, metformin, that's half the price I paid for my posh bike ;D

<<<-That one

Yours looks like a real bargain.  And I don't care if you spend £X,0000.00 or pick up summat free from the tip, it's all about getting out & riding it.  Your bit of classic steel (with, I note, that new-fangled indexed gearing ;D ) looks like it's going to carry you for a good few miles yet.

It's doing me a turn and it's nice to ride  :) Hadn't been on a bike in 26 years and loving every minute of it. I quite like the look of the Whistle bikes but now Halturds are resellers I might give them a miss.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5360 on: 03 April, 2012, 11:06:11 pm »

Is that above Oldham? ISTR it's called Hartshead Pike, or am I talking bollox, again?  :D
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #5361 on: 04 April, 2012, 11:11:38 am »

I've also got a mini with front suspension - it's a single speed and needs some attention, but it's quite cute.

I have a single speed mini as well, but it needs more attention than yours - it does look nice in red with saddle & bell matching. Mine is the orangy-gold colour.  :(
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

PH

« Reply #5362 on: 04 April, 2012, 11:23:28 pm »
l, I took it for a spin and came back with a big grin - brief (and successful) haggle on the price and it was the easiest sale the guy's ever made :)   59cm LHT with 26 inch wheels.

That looks so wrong that I like it, I don't know why but it made me smile when I saw it.  Have fun.

« Reply #5363 on: 05 April, 2012, 08:59:52 am »
Is that above Oldham? ISTR it's called Hartshead Pike, or am I talking bollox, again?  :D

It is Hartshead Pike, well spotted.

« Reply #5364 on: 05 April, 2012, 02:34:26 pm »

Newly built up Genesis Equilibrium, after a couple of weeks/250 miles of use :)

I already had the forks, bars, stem, most of the groupset and some wheels, so this was a cheap build but the result is a great ride (for me).

Points I like:

- External headset and ample head tube mean I get the 15mm drop from saddle to handlebars that Cyclefit prescribed without too many spacers.  I chose an FSA Orbit XL2 mtb headset because of greater stack height and don't mind any slackening of the angles, but do not see any slackening on my measurements compared to the Genesis geometry chart.

- The Ultegra 6600 shifters just work better than the 6700 that I have on a couple of other bikes and you can fit brake and gear cables without delving into the insides of the shifters.  Ok you have the washing lines out front but the gears always seem to work.

- This is my first triple - I am now a triple convert.  I could do 90% of the time on the middle chain ring, but getting to that steep hill at the end of the ride is a lot less daunting (even at 30*28 rather than 34*28)

- A big like is £240 for the 725 frame - this has to be a best buy on a steel frame

- The cheap Tektro brakes seem fine (but may change to softer OBE pads).

Dislikes - not too many:

- Tig welding, a lot uglier than fillet brazed or lugged but then the price reflects that and I do not think there is any performance hit

- Only mudguard mounts, no rack mounts

I know this is still a new toy but currently it is the first bike I pull out of the shed even in preference to the recently rebuilt carbon audax.  It passes the "just wants to be ridden" test.

AndyK

« Reply #5365 on: 05 April, 2012, 02:43:54 pm »

I have a single speed mini as well, but it needs more attention than yours - it does look nice in red with saddle & bell matching. Mine is the orangy-gold colour.  :(

That's similar to my mother's Moulton Speed, (which is all original, including the tyres!)

« Reply #5366 on: 05 April, 2012, 02:55:50 pm »

I like that :) How much does a restorable one of these go for? Or even a ready-to-ride one?

« Reply #5367 on: 05 April, 2012, 03:30:07 pm »
you may be too tall, SP.  I tried one that I spotted outside a shop in London and it was too tiny...  (in rideable but not spotless condition, about 100 pounds, ISTR)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5368 on: 05 April, 2012, 03:34:27 pm »
Minis are often sold for £30-100 and were designed for children and women, being roughly 7/8 the size of a 'big' Moulton.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #5369 on: 05 April, 2012, 03:36:31 pm »

Very nice - long toyed with the idea of one of those with Surly Pacer forks (I have a bit of a carbon fork phobia, despite having them on my Tricross).

« Reply #5370 on: 05 April, 2012, 07:15:51 pm »
Minis are cheaper than full size ones, and ones without front suspension are cheaper again.  With 14" wheels, you really need the suspension.  I paid £29 plus £9.99 postage for the green one I keep in work, that's in pretty good working order.  I paid around £60 for the red one in the garden, the fettling it needs is fairly minor, and I bought another one without suspension which is a complete wreck for around £20.  All on ebay. 

I'm 5'7" so I can just about ride a mini.  I was given the three full size ones I have, although two of them are piles of bits in the shed.  Hopefully in I'll have a bit of time this year to do a bit of fettling. I'd like to get one modernised, with a wider range of gears etc.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5371 on: 05 April, 2012, 10:26:17 pm »
I do like the look of the Genesis road bikes.  Recapturing a classic look, to a certain extent.

Of course, my daily ride is pretty much a Genesis (Skyline aka Ridgeback World Tour Solo).
Getting there...

« Reply #5372 on: 06 April, 2012, 06:31:59 pm »
updated from the last page:

mudguards (giles bertoud - horrible to fit), tubus racks, spa brooks-a-like saddle (v. v. v. hard!) and 26 x 1.75 pasela tourguards

Took it for a pootle today, 20 miles quite quite slowly but I havent stopped smiling yet :D

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #5373 on: 06 April, 2012, 09:20:33 pm »
I do like the look of the Genesis road bikes.  Recapturing a classic look, to a certain extent.

Spoilt by a sloping top tube though!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5374 on: 07 April, 2012, 11:51:40 pm »
Gary Fisher 229 with the fork from a Surly Karate Monkey

Mostly Deore with SRAM 11-25 cassette, BB7s and centre lock discs, the frame uses the Fisher/Trek 'Disc-O' caliper mounting bracket for the rear. Butterfly bars and Schwalbe Hurricane 42mm tyres.

The trials and tribulations of this particular build are detailed in 'Freewheeling'
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.