Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2455395 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #7250 on: 10 July, 2014, 09:35:54 pm »
Scan0187 by TJ Clarion, on Flickr
Getting there...

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #7251 on: 10 July, 2014, 09:50:23 pm »

Keep It Simple, Stupid ...

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #7252 on: 11 July, 2014, 05:15:38 pm »

Today on the way back from grocery shopping. Llyn Dinas. First ride with the Juju beads on the gear cables  :D

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #7253 on: 11 July, 2014, 05:20:04 pm »

Today on the way back from grocery shopping. Llyn Dinas. First ride with the Juju beads on the gear cables  :D

Gor Blimey Guvner!  That's a lovely piccie.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #7254 on: 11 July, 2014, 05:35:09 pm »

Gor Blimey Guvner!  That's a lovely piccie.

Thank you squire. I believe you (and many brave souls) have ridden past that lake on a certain Welsh Audax event - after Beddgelert and before Llyn Gwynant and the climb up to Pen Y Pass :thumbsup:

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #7255 on: 11 July, 2014, 06:46:44 pm »

Where are the orange bits?

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #7256 on: 11 July, 2014, 06:49:03 pm »

Where are the orange bits?
Orange and green?! Eeeeew!  :P

I may be having some bottle cage mounts added to the forks, in which case they'll be coming back green too. The orange bits are on ... the orange bike. I have a further collection of orange bits for the other orange bike whose frame I don't have yet.

ETA: Once upon a time I had a bike that was orange and sky blue. It worked surprisingly well.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #7257 on: 11 July, 2014, 10:12:01 pm »
Thank you squire. I believe you (and many brave souls) have ridden past that lake on a certain Welsh Audax event - after Beddgelert and before Llyn Gwynant and the climb up to Pen Y Pass :thumbsup:

Ahhh, it's down there is it?

I must remember to stop there and not go any further in future...it goes decidedly UP from there.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #7258 on: 12 July, 2014, 12:48:03 pm »

Ahhh, it's down there is it?

I must remember to stop there and not go any further in future...it goes decidedly UP from there.

Looking the other way

velosam

« Reply #7259 on: 12 July, 2014, 01:07:59 pm »
Great pic and it just looks like a  great place to be.

« Reply #7260 on: 12 July, 2014, 11:56:07 pm »
I've put it off and put it off for years...but I wanted Carbon, while I'm still capable of enjoying it.

Fresh back from "Pedal On" in Tadley, Hampshire..my new TREK Domane 4.3

Awesome ;)

velosam

« Reply #7261 on: 13 July, 2014, 07:30:13 am »
+1 on the domane, whats is it like to ride?

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #7262 on: 13 July, 2014, 08:07:40 pm »
My 2004 Claud Butler Rock returns to MTB mode. I can't say I like the look:

« Reply #7263 on: 13 July, 2014, 09:21:10 pm »
It does look a bit like a started cat.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #7264 on: 14 July, 2014, 06:02:43 am »
 ;D

« Reply #7265 on: 14 July, 2014, 10:13:52 am »
Commuting bike partly fettled:
P7030002 by TJ Clarion, on Flickr

P7030001 by TJ Clarion, on Flickr

With that cable holder where it is, I read that as "One Less Cafe" to start with. Less worried now after a more careful examination, as you were.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #7266 on: 14 July, 2014, 11:18:16 am »
+1 on the domane, whats is it like to ride?

OK, I went to look at a Giant Defy Advanced 2 (£2k bike of the year 2013 and still top 3 in 2014).
They let me take it for a test ride and it was great, lively, slick, great handling...everything I expected after reading countless reviews.
Make no mistake, I'd spent 18 months establishing that I wanted..needed..the Defy Advanced 2.

Then I noticed they had the Domane 4.3 (also a highly rated bike in same reviews).

They let me take it for a test ride and, within 50 yards, I knew they could keep the Giant.
I won't say that the ride is astonishing because it's actually quite like my Condor Fratello but...that is quite astonishing I suppose.  My Fratello is a "magic carpet ride" of curved steel stays and the Domane is made from collossal rigid tubes.

You'd expect a bike made from tubes this big to be quick but painfully harsh but everything they say about the "De-Coupler" seems to be true.  It really does smooth out Hampshire roads.
(Note.  The De-Coupler allows the seat tube to pivot at the top-tube, it isn't a rigid joint.  It pivots and allows the whole tube, down to the bottom bracket to flex over bumps.  It's a sort of suspension seat-post but with a smaller amount of saddle travel..  Of course the wonders of Carbon design allow for this vertical compliance without sacrificing any compliance in the drive-train components.  The bottom bracket, head-tube and chain-stays are monsters and designed to keep you going forward and where you pointed it.

My experience of Carbon road bikes is limited to 2 test rides, both of which as classed as "Sportive" geometry (tall head tube, longer wheel base....for long-distance comfort).  I'm in no position to say that the Domane is better than any other similar bike.  However, the difference in ride quality, between the Giant and the TREK was instantly noticeable, something I really hadn't banked on.

So, I went just to look at a Defy and bought a Domane.

I'll let someone with a broader experience of carbon road bikes comment on whether or not the Domane is noticeably smoother then the rest of the bunch.

Now fitted with my Selle Ti SLR saddle.

I think that "Sportive" bikes are probably what most MAMILs I see riding "Road Race Bikes" would be better off on (the Defy Advanced, Specialized Roubaix, Domane..etc).  They are a much more civilised geometry and are about riding on the hoods, looking for cafes, rather than in the drops, trying to remember the phone number of your osteopath.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #7267 on: 14 July, 2014, 11:34:58 am »
Oh yes..and I bought this locally on Saturday for my son for £50.

He's been looking for a "Clapham Commuter" but London demand seems to push up prices of any old rust-bucket to silly levels.

I'm mid way through swapping out some old bits for better spares I have in my "I may find a use for these old bits one day" box.

I'm hoping it strikes a balance between practicality and anonymity so it falls off the London bike-thieves' list of bikes to steal immediately.

I managed to locate and replace all the micro ball-bearings that fell out of the rear cassette when I removed it for a service.  Phew.  Extreme ping-fuckitness.

Steel Handlebars, stem, rack and seat post !!!  Room for some weight-saving me thinks.

« Reply #7268 on: 14 July, 2014, 11:56:34 am »
Lee, the Domane is lovely.  As for the Clapham commuter, I'd say leave the steel parts, the rusty patina they will  inevitably acquire will make it even less desirable to thieves.  :)
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7269 on: 14 July, 2014, 08:18:52 pm »
A belated birthday present.

SAB 'Domagnano' from Planet X, carbon fork, sealed bearing wheelset with Durano 'Etape' 23s, Tiagra 4600/105 mix, Deda finishing kit with the inevitable Charge Spoon and stitched bar tape.

It should debut on a little social ride - i.e. a run to the pubbe - on Thursday evening . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #7270 on: 14 July, 2014, 08:26:22 pm »
Bloody hell! Pick the one night I work late, why don't you?  Where are you going?

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #7271 on: 15 July, 2014, 11:56:17 am »

I prefare a little more comfort in my old age ;D

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #7272 on: 15 July, 2014, 12:10:31 pm »

I prefare a little more comfort in my old age ;D

It is my comfort bike - it's singlespeed rather than fixed ;)

ETA: I notice also that you've got one of Mr. The Bikemonger's finest stickers on there too  :thumbsup:

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #7273 on: 16 July, 2014, 06:26:56 pm »
Oh yes..and I bought this locally on Saturday for my son for £50.

He's been looking for a "Clapham Commuter" but London demand seems to push up prices of any old rust-bucket to silly levels.

I'm mid way through swapping out some old bits for better spares I have in my "I may find a use for these old bits one day" box.

I'm hoping it strikes a balance between practicality and anonymity so it falls off the London bike-thieves' list of bikes to steal immediately.

I managed to locate and replace all the micro ball-bearings that fell out of the rear cassette when I removed it for a service.  Phew.  Extreme ping-fuckitness.

Steel Handlebars, stem, rack and seat post !!!  Room for some weight-saving me thinks.

Some old 28mm Marathons fitted, wheels trued, hubs serviced and greased, Mudguards adjusted, old Blackburn Rack fitted, crappy plastic Cantis replaced with some old Avid Shorties, old pump donated...ready to rock, it actually rides really well and, thanks to the Avids, stops now as well.

Not sure if it will be my son's "thing" but I'm already at the stage where I'm a bit loathed to give it away.

It's the perfect Pub bike.

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
« Reply #7274 on: 19 July, 2014, 11:20:08 pm »
You know you want to.
[...]
I may even get cane creek gum levers and go to bar end shifters to get of the black levers :facepalm:

You know you want to.  Or, even better, downtube levers...

What Bars are those?