Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2455397 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #2250 on: 26 October, 2009, 10:28:36 pm »
Nice colour scheme too.  Would look ace with black rims though  ;D

« Reply #2251 on: 26 October, 2009, 10:32:22 pm »
Lovin' the two-tone on that :thumbsup:

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #2252 on: 26 October, 2009, 11:11:41 pm »
Very nice bikes, eck & oncemore...might finally get round to sticking up some pics of my Viner some time....

« Reply #2253 on: 27 October, 2009, 10:34:49 am »

Colours not too bad - I don't like black bikes (especially expensive ones - I always feel cheated out of a trick paint/decal job!) but at least it's shiny and the white does give some contrast. And yes black (or white) wheels would look better but the point was an affordable carbon bike. Little sense in throwing money at it - for what will be very infrequent use!
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #2254 on: 27 October, 2009, 11:18:10 pm »

Colours not too bad - I don't like black bikes (especially expensive ones - I always feel cheated out of a trick paint/decal job!) but at least it's shiny and the white does give some contrast. And yes black (or white) wheels would look better but the point was an affordable carbon bike. Little sense in throwing money at it - for what will be very infrequent use!

No no, too true.  Don't throw money at it if you will not use it often.  I mean who on here thinks sensibly like that  ::-) ::-) ;D

Really Ancien

« Reply #2255 on: 28 October, 2009, 12:51:31 am »
Halfords/Carrera so obviously a bit chav for these parts, but hey full carbon, DA/Ultegra drive, quite nice kit AND 550 quids with maybe 100 miles on the clock ain't bad in my modest book. Ebay IS your friend!

Why are all those sheep lined up against the fence on the far bank? Are they being fed root vegetables I wonder? But why? there seems to be plenty of grass.

Damon.

« Reply #2256 on: 28 October, 2009, 10:41:48 am »
'Cos the pub is on THIS side, obviously!

« Reply #2257 on: 28 October, 2009, 01:41:33 pm »
Aye, it is long. 14cm! [...]
I'm only about 5'7" on a good day.
Same height. (short arse territory :-) ) but I use a shorter stem and I have been wondering it was a little bit too short. Will be trying a 10cm stem shortly.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #2258 on: 28 October, 2009, 02:03:36 pm »
A couple of rubbish foties of my (IMHO) rather tasty new bike, just finished building it this afternoon.

Pedals - thanks to Grub; Rear Mech - thanks to valkyrie; Saddle - clubmate Terry  :thumbsup:
I already had the wheels, Campag Proton, and tyres, Krylion of course, eh Grub?
The new stuff is mostly Campag Centaur, BB and Chainset are Stronglight Speedlight, Bars and Stem are Deda Zero 100.

Do I need to apologise for the total absence of Brooks, Carradice and Shimano?  ;)

Not in the least

Or steel ,and I assume sandals beard and not having an  abacus on the handlebars.

« Reply #2259 on: 28 October, 2009, 10:20:15 pm »
A couple of rubbish foties of my (IMHO) rather tasty new bike, just finished building it this afternoon.

Pedals - thanks to Grub; Rear Mech - thanks to valkyrie; Saddle - clubmate Terry  :thumbsup:
I already had the wheels, Campag Proton, and tyres, Krylion of course, eh Grub?
The new stuff is mostly Campag Centaur, BB and Chainset are Stronglight Speedlight, Bars and Stem are Deda Zero 100.

Do I need to apologise for the total absence of Brooks, Carradice and Shimano?  ;)

Nice build Eck - it's quite unusual to see all the cables and the chain exactly the right length.  Once you've got the saddle sorted out, you can award yourself a golden wrench!   :)

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #2260 on: 28 October, 2009, 11:11:48 pm »
Nice build Eck - it's quite unusual to see all the cables and the chain exactly the right length.  Once you've got the saddle sorted out, you can award yourself a golden wrench!   :)
Aw, thanks. But you don't like the saddle?  ???
I did have  a plain black Flite, but I thought the white saddle, combined with the bar tape, brought it all together rather nicely. And it is really comfortable.

You can't get a white Brooks, can you?  ;)
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #2261 on: 29 October, 2009, 09:08:38 am »
But that bar tape will not be white for much longer (if you ride the bike)

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #2262 on: 29 October, 2009, 09:30:21 am »
::-)
Oh dearie me, what ever will I do?  :-\

Ok, not prisitine, but this tape has been on here for at least a couple of years and, yes, I have ridden it, lots.

As for the new bike, well, I do indeed plan to ride it from time to time.
If the tape gets dirty, well, maybe I could clean it.
Or even go as far as replacing it eventually.  :thumbsup:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #2263 on: 29 October, 2009, 10:05:34 am »

Anyway Mr Series shouldnt you have some new bike type photos to show off . ???

« Reply #2264 on: 29 October, 2009, 10:06:50 am »

Anyway Mr Series shouldnt you have some new bike type photos to show off . ???

Members' bikes

Need to take some more, some 'arty' ones, posed in front of water, for FGG.

anth

« Reply #2265 on: 29 October, 2009, 11:32:32 pm »
Ready for the dark nights

alan

« Reply #2266 on: 30 October, 2009, 06:09:52 am »

Is that Batman's bike then? :)

« Reply #2267 on: 30 October, 2009, 06:47:29 am »

Excellent pic.  Nice one.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2268 on: 31 October, 2009, 08:25:31 pm »
Must be a terrible thing being run over by ones own bike....

« Reply #2269 on: 01 November, 2009, 07:29:42 pm »
Since my other frame went kaput the other week, I bought this as a replacement.  Surprisingly, everything on it appears to be original (though I'm not sure about the brake pads or tyres).

The photo doesn't really do justice to the frame colour 8)

The transfer is (nearly) complete.  I've left the original tyres on for the mo' to keep that rugged look, and I'll be adding a front rack, a slightly taller, longer stem, and a couple of other bits.  I probably need to do something about the gearing, as the only top-pull front mech I had in the attic is a Deore mech, which doesn't work terribly well with the road shifters I use, so I'm reduced to a 42-30 double at the front. 

« Reply #2270 on: 01 November, 2009, 07:33:58 pm »
What is the handling like with the drop bars?

« Reply #2271 on: 01 November, 2009, 07:37:38 pm »
I took it for a short ride this affa, and it's quite nice.  It's hard to judge, as the headset needs replacing, but it felt smooth and steady, which is what I want in a bike I'll use for loaded touring.

alan

« Reply #2272 on: 01 November, 2009, 08:18:00 pm »
Reminds me of a conversion C+ did many,many moons ago with an ATB to a road tourer using a Marin or a Kona IIRC.
It's looking good Deano.

LEE

« Reply #2273 on: 01 November, 2009, 08:28:42 pm »
Since my other frame went kaput the other week, I bought this as a replacement.  Surprisingly, everything on it appears to be original (though I'm not sure about the brake pads or tyres).

The photo doesn't really do justice to the frame colour 8)

The transfer is (nearly) complete.  I've left the original tyres on for the mo' to keep that rugged look, and I'll be adding a front rack, a slightly taller, longer stem, and a couple of other bits.  I probably need to do something about the gearing, as the only top-pull front mech I had in the attic is a Deore mech, which doesn't work terribly well with the road shifters I use, so I'm reduced to a 42-30 double at the front.  

That looks really nice.

I'm contemplating the move to drop bars on my old MTB conversion.  I've never really got on with the flat bars.  Maybe I'll swap an old pair of drops in for a while and see how it handles.

Before

Now

Any suggestions for cheap 7-speed (& Triple) shifters?

(I suppose it could be viable to use the MTB trigger shifters on the bar tops, they are separate from the brake lever).  Anyone done such a thing?

« Reply #2274 on: 01 November, 2009, 09:38:42 pm »
bar cons like Deano has or band on DT levers. You could always use friction mode then the 'speed' isn't a problem.