Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2455595 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #3250 on: 30 May, 2010, 03:55:19 pm »

I'm loving those minimalistic Pixie pedals. 

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3251 on: 30 May, 2010, 03:58:31 pm »
Annie does not pedal,she is powered by pixie dust :)

Zoidburg

« Reply #3252 on: 30 May, 2010, 04:02:17 pm »

Not sure what point you are making here sir ?

That is okay, neither am I  ::-)

Out of curiosity, of your frames shown, are they all the same size?
[/quote]The holdsworth looks "wrong" because it has 700 wheels in it instead of the original 27" wheels in, it will make any bike look gappy.

That pug is still far too big for the rider though.

Sorry.

« Reply #3253 on: 30 May, 2010, 04:08:42 pm »
The latest arrival, soon to have its nose pushed out of joint when it has to move over for another.

Very red, there's a surprise. :)
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #3254 on: 30 May, 2010, 04:41:02 pm »
Here's my latest bling machine.

1955 vintage, obtained a while back from freecycle but only just put into vaguely roadworthy condition. The original saddle was beyond redemption, so it's got a horrible gel thing I found in the garage. The rod brakes are, how shall I put it, unhurried in operation. Three speed SA AW hub (from where I got the 1955 age), though the axle nut threads aren't very good so it is the chain tugs really holding it the wheel in place.  It does have a nice chainring.

It worked well as a station bike - I really wasn't worried about it getting half inched when I left it there for the day, and as the station is only five minutes away and almost entirely flat the ancient brakes aren't an issue - plus the relaxed geometry doesn't invite enthusiastic riding anyway.

« Reply #3255 on: 30 May, 2010, 04:42:54 pm »
that's ace MattH.

gordon taylor

« Reply #3256 on: 30 May, 2010, 06:02:13 pm »
That would be my ideal n+1. I need a station bike too.

Lovely!

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #3257 on: 30 May, 2010, 06:15:31 pm »
Excellent MattH. It's good to keep old bikes alive and  their wheels turning.

« Reply #3258 on: 30 May, 2010, 06:26:06 pm »
I must admit to having had a crazy idea of taking it out on a 50 or 100 audax. It'd have to be pretty flat though - not because of the climbing, but the downhills would scare me silly!

What I'd really like is one of the old Raleighs with a full chain case and rack - ideally with a dynohub too.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #3259 on: 30 May, 2010, 06:34:05 pm »
Sorry to interrupt the pointless argument ;) ;D

And carrying on the theme of trad bikes and Holdsworths :thumbsup:

heres mine, black b17 and bar end shifters fitted, so just about done.  Although I may go back to the Brooks proffesional and brown bar tape at some point, bars still need final adjustment too

Now, that's a proper bike .... although I have to say I prefer to keep the bar-end changer cables under the tape almost to the centre of the bars before they dive down to the stops - makes it much tidier and a barbag fits better. 

Have them like that on my : 1975 Galaxy, 1980 Claud Butler Majestic, 1980s Peugeot Traithlons (2 of them) and my 1982 Flying Gate ... all set to friction for precision changes.

Rob

« Reply #3260 on: 30 May, 2010, 06:41:10 pm »

Now, that's a proper bike .... although I have to say I prefer to keep the bar-end changer cables under the tape almost to the centre of the bars before they dive down to the stops - makes it much tidier and a barbag fits better. 

Have them like that on my : 1975 Galaxy, 1980 Claud Butler Majestic, 1980s Peugeot Traithlons (2 of them) and my 1982 Flying Gate ... all set to friction for precision changes.

Rob

I might do that with the cables, as I need to do the bar tape again anyway. I have the rear set to indexed because I cant hear well enough to know if its not quite in gear without looking (if you see what I mean)  and yes it is lovely, it rides really really well

« Reply #3261 on: 30 May, 2010, 07:32:54 pm »
I must admit to having had a crazy idea of taking it out on a 50 or 100 audax.
You MUST,

« Reply #3262 on: 31 May, 2010, 10:54:22 am »

He looks pretty chuffed to finally meet you. Had he doorstepped you, or was it arranged in advance?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3263 on: 31 May, 2010, 11:10:38 am »
Who is that bloke with our famous Mr.Nesbit?
I bet he's crogging advice & tips about about riding a bike.
wannabe's eh ::-)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3264 on: 31 May, 2010, 11:20:34 am »
It's Adrian Chiles, isn't it? ;D
Getting there...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3265 on: 31 May, 2010, 03:27:04 pm »
That must be an ancient picture - Eddy has lost all the weight, or had the last time I saw a news photo of him.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3266 on: 01 June, 2010, 05:05:04 pm »
He looks half-cut.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3267 on: 01 June, 2010, 05:11:36 pm »
That must be an ancient picture - Eddy has lost all the weight, or had the last time I saw a news photo of him.
it was in 1999, at Verona airport. I was arriving for the World Championships and Merckx was waiting for some Belgian riders to arrive.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3268 on: 01 June, 2010, 05:19:20 pm »
see,I said he was tapping you up for info ;D

gordon taylor

« Reply #3269 on: 03 June, 2010, 05:26:30 am »
I did fourteen miles on this baby yesterday, including a lost tour of Northampton town centre.

It's brilliant, and my first folder + train journey was so easy! Why didn't I think of that before?
What a laugh!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3270 on: 03 June, 2010, 06:40:14 am »
I did fourteen miles on this baby yesterday, including a lost tour of Northampton town centre.
"And on the left we have the goths of St Giles churchyard, still loyal to the cause after 25 years.  Up ahead you'll see a gang of Kosovans fighting outside the Grosvenor Centre and later we'll see the three adult shops of the Welly Road, the racecourse that hasn't had a racecourse for 100 years, the gasometer of St James and, of course, the highlight of our tour, the Express Lifts Tower."
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3271 on: 03 June, 2010, 08:59:47 am »

It's brilliant, and my first folder + train journey was so easy! Why didn't I think of that before?
What a laugh!

Very nice. One small question: why is it pink?

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #3272 on: 03 June, 2010, 09:10:19 am »
It's a girl's bike?  ;)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3273 on: 03 June, 2010, 09:29:12 am »

Very nice. One small question: why is it pink?

Who says he needs a reason?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

gordon taylor

« Reply #3274 on: 03 June, 2010, 09:30:37 am »
It's pink because I bought it for Mr G in a sale from Winstanley bikes. I assume they were trying to get rid of it because the sensible coloured ones were £90 more expensive. It has pink-and-white floral decals too.

Several people looked as though they were going to laugh or make a comment yesterday - but they seemed to think better of it. With 100+kg on board, I'd describe the handling as.... floppy.