Poll

Help me decide

Yes
No
You can have mine, I'm sick of the furry bastard

Author Topic: The Chronicles of Pete  (Read 72375 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: The Chronicles of Pete
« Reply #250 on: 09 March, 2015, 05:02:49 pm »
After being evacuated from the building all day, we were sent home at 3pm so I took advantage of my early arrival home to get an appointment with the vet who confirmed conjunctivitis and prescribed drops for 5 days. Wish me luck.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #251 on: 09 March, 2015, 06:09:16 pm »
At least you've got a lower chance of picking the wrong cat to medicate   :-[

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #252 on: 10 March, 2015, 07:36:02 am »
Last night's drops didn't go well. This morning was easier. I think he hates me.  ;D

« Reply #253 on: 10 March, 2015, 10:37:41 am »
Drops aren't a big hit with cats, and because they can see them coming, they'll react at the last, most inconvenient, moment!

I recommend wrapping in a towel, to avoid too much blood loss. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #254 on: 10 March, 2015, 10:44:22 am »
If you have a spare finger, tapping quite fast on his head between his ears can sooth/distract enough to get the job done.
It is simpler than it looks.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #255 on: 10 March, 2015, 02:29:22 pm »
Spare finger? I'm not from West Lothian.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #256 on: 10 March, 2015, 03:13:12 pm »
OK, two spare fingers.
It is simpler than it looks.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #257 on: 10 March, 2015, 04:34:02 pm »
Those two fingers are gesturing at you, Jaded.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #258 on: 10 March, 2015, 04:58:03 pm »
Anyone who can restrain a cat the size of Pete, and administer eye drops without losing any digits deserves an award!  We spend years administering eye drops to our much missed squidget, and even though he was a lovely patient patient, it was still a somewhat distressing experience for all of us. 

It needs two people, something which I assume EG generally doesn't have available most of the time.  One to hold the cat wrapped in a towel, one to administer the drops, and one to catch any stray escaping limbs and restrain them.  Ah, that seem to be three people...
Wombat

ian

« Reply #259 on: 10 March, 2015, 07:10:13 pm »
Fortunately the cat we have that frequently needs eyedrops is stupid enough to let us put them in without much struggle (that same stupidity is, alas, the reason she so frequently needs eye drops). I've never tried the monster cat though, she's wrigglesome at the best of times and goes absolutely mental when I put the flea/worm stuff on her neck. I have to sneak up and dab and she's off like a rocket. I don't want to contemplate eyedrops. There's no way anyone can hold her if she doesn't want to be held. Even vets give up. She has to have general anaesthetic just to look in her mouth. On the plus side, she has no teeth. On the negative side, she has claws like Wolverine (fortunately neither of them are intentionally bitey or scratchy).

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #260 on: 10 March, 2015, 08:25:22 pm »
My current technique is

1) put him on the kitchen worktop (easier height for me to work at, means he has to turn round before he can jump off which means I have time to catch him)
2) face him away from me
3) left arm around his left side, under his chin, tilt head up, use thumb to pull eyelid up
4) right upper arm pressing into his body to hold him still as much as possible, right hand to wield the drops

It only took four goes tonight before I got a drop in his eye.

« Reply #261 on: 11 March, 2015, 05:55:29 am »
Much as I hate to say it, you may wish to consider putting drops into the good eye at the same time, since there's a risk that the conjunctivitis could jump from the other eye, that's what happened with Zev.

I find it easier (!) to do, with Zev inverted, even though she hates that position.  With her upside down, you can just place the drop into the corner of the eye, and it will run over the entire eye.

I drop the towel over her, and then pick her up, turning her over, wrapping the towel around her, and over her paws (it doesn't matter too much if her rear paws are sticking out a bit at this point.  She'll tend to fight, but her claws then get caught in the towel.  It's important to get it fairly tight around the neck, so she can't get her front paws out.  You may need to redo it, if they escape.

Then with her head on the left, I hold her head with my left hand, over her ears, and down to her jaw (partly from using those fingers to help force her mouth open, to give pills).  I pull her head back slightly to help make her open her eyes, you can use your fingers or thumb to slightly pull the skin down a little, to aid that.  Pressure through the right arm at the same time holds the towel around her, and holds her on my lap.  I administer the drops using my right hand, which is naturally in roughly the right position.

(I'm right handed, if you're left handed you probably want to do it the other way around).

That may send a bit involved, and you need to be firm, but it lets me put drops in the eye of a cat who dislikes being picked up, and hates being turned upside down, unlike Talisker, who was happy to be held like that.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #262 on: 11 March, 2015, 06:04:10 am »
What's required here is for some clever sod to invent a cat holding attachment that could be used with a Black & Decker Workmate.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #263 on: 11 March, 2015, 08:01:06 am »
Much as I hate to say it, you may wish to consider putting drops into the good eye at the same time, since there's a risk that the conjunctivitis could jump from the other eye, that's what happened with Zev.

I find it easier (!) to do, with Zev inverted, even though she hates that position.  With her upside down, you can just place the drop into the corner of the eye, and it will run over the entire eye.

I drop the towel over her, and then pick her up, turning her over, wrapping the towel around her, and over her paws (it doesn't matter too much if her rear paws are sticking out a bit at this point.  She'll tend to fight, but her claws then get caught in the towel.  It's important to get it fairly tight around the neck, so she can't get her front paws out.  You may need to redo it, if they escape.

Then with her head on the left, I hold her head with my left hand, over her ears, and down to her jaw (partly from using those fingers to help force her mouth open, to give pills).  I pull her head back slightly to help make her open her eyes, you can use your fingers or thumb to slightly pull the skin down a little, to aid that.  Pressure through the right arm at the same time holds the towel around her, and holds her on my lap.  I administer the drops using my right hand, which is naturally in roughly the right position.

(I'm right handed, if you're left handed you probably want to do it the other way around).

That may send a bit involved, and you need to be firm, but it lets me put drops in the eye of a cat who dislikes being picked up, and hates being turned upside down, unlike Talisker, who was happy to be held like that.
The vet did say to do both eyes if the other eye got it, but both eyes are clear now. Five more doses to go. This morning wasn't great.

Your technique sounds absolutely impossible for me to manage. Pete wouldn't tolerate being upside down at all.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #264 on: 11 March, 2015, 09:04:34 am »
What's required here is for some clever sod to invent a cat holding attachment that could be used with a Black & Decker Workmate.

POTD!
Wombat

« Reply #265 on: 11 March, 2015, 01:08:37 pm »
... Your technique sounds absolutely impossible for me to manage. Pete wouldn't tolerate being upside down at all.

Zev wouldn't either, but she doesn't get to have a say in the matter!

Slightly amusingly, she doesn't come down for breakfast at the moment, she stays comfy upstairs, until some bastard comes and grabs her. :-[

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #266 on: 11 March, 2015, 03:49:49 pm »
Pete still pesters me for breakfast. And then he realises he has to get his drops in before breakfast and he regrets it.  :demon:

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #267 on: 12 March, 2015, 08:05:51 am »
Last night's drops went in on the second attempt. This morning's - well, let's just say any conjunctivitis lurking in the kitchen worktop is now all gone.  ::-)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #268 on: 14 March, 2015, 10:33:35 am »
Don't get me wrong, I am very pleased with and proud of Pete's mousing abilities, but I do not enjoy trying to get slightly chewed mouse corpses off him from the bedroom floor at 0620 on Saturdays.

He is a mighty hunter though.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #269 on: 21 March, 2015, 11:02:10 pm »
Pete has been sneezing for a few days, and his eyes are gummy again.  ::-)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #270 on: 02 April, 2015, 01:11:23 pm »
Pete helped me take the recycling down this morning and then we sat on the doorstep for half an hour in the sun. He enjoyed rolling on his back to entice naive passers-by to stroke his furry tummy so that he could maul them.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #271 on: 02 April, 2015, 01:15:56 pm »
Pete helped me take the recycling down this morning and then we sat on the doorstep for half an hour in the sun. He enjoyed rolling on his back to entice naive passers-by to stroke his furry tummy so that he could maul them.

Tigger the Big Cat (now deceased) used to do that.  The current cats actually like having their tummies tickled  and are clever enough to realise that mauling is a significant disincentive to tummy tickling.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #272 on: 04 April, 2015, 11:35:23 am »
This morning he hit me in the face until I stroked him, then tried to bite me.  ::-)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #273 on: 20 April, 2015, 01:22:24 pm »
We are off to the vet's again this afternoon. The fur between his ears and eyes seems to be thinning very quickly and the skin looks a bit scabby.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #274 on: 20 May, 2015, 12:32:38 pm »
On Monday Pete and I were sitting on the front step watching the world go by when our neighbour came down, carrying the dog which was poorly and had to go to the vet. Pete doesn't like the dog and they've had an altercation before. I was somewhat embarrassed by him doing his best to chase my neighbour and the dog away! Sadly the dog had to be put to sleep.

Last night we were sitting on the front step and a man came past with two ferrets on leads. I've seen him before; he takes them out for a walk now and again. Pete was all bristly and fighty-looking and the man was saying "oh, it's fine, they won't attack a cat."  ::-) I eventually convinced him Pete thought they might make a tasty snack and he carried them past us instead.