Author Topic: Hardy Heron  (Read 25326 times)

Re: Hardy Heron
« Reply #125 on: 11 June, 2008, 06:12:38 pm »
As a new Ubuntu user I am amazed at the vast amount of stuff that is available and Hardy is totally stable, at least for me. I haven't got to sound yet but most of my main computing needs have been satisfied so far, with Desktop, which is not unlike Microshaft. I have now started some command line stuff although I don't need that capability very often.

I am tempted to use Virtual Box so that a couple of less important Programmes are also available, Quicken in particular which I have used for many years although I may accept a linux Programme instead.

And no viruses or spy files to be seen - fantastic! :thumbsup:

So far so good - wot?
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

ian

« Reply #126 on: 11 June, 2008, 07:25:42 pm »
It depends quite often on the license under which those drivers are released. Debian for example is very strict about this and all drivers (all software infact) must be completely free and under a specific set of licenses. Others distributions will include commercial drivers (SuSE traditionally did) and others are somewhere in-between.

I figured that to be the case. I used the not-entirely free source version of Mandriva, but then again I thought that Ubuntu (as opposed to Gobuntu) fell into the same bucket. Possibly, I'm wrong, I confess I found the distro-bit of Linux the most confusing aspect. I only picked Ubuntu because I saw it mentioned and I was facing a fresh install of XP on an increasingly slow old laptop and it seemed worth a try. I was about to throw in the towel too and dig out the XP disk.

bobajobrob

« Reply #127 on: 11 June, 2008, 07:33:43 pm »
Any ideas what caused it to work, Ian? You said it was an Atheros chipset and you tried madwifi.

ian

« Reply #128 on: 11 June, 2008, 08:12:04 pm »
Any ideas what caused it to work, Ian? You said it was an Atheros chipset and you tried madwifi.

No real idea. Ubuntu did claim it had proprietary drivers for the Atheros chipset but they didn't work. Mortal command line combat with Madwifi did offer a momentary glimpse of next door's Sky box (though not my network, conclusive proof that Murdoch is the devil and can reach into your very brain if he wanted to). Momentary, because it never worked again. I think it was trying to get me excited before stealing victory from me at the last minute.

I did some Googlenoodling of Linux and Hardware Support, and Mandriva seemed to come up with a good few recommendations. So I burnt a live CD and gave it a spin. Detected the wireless card first time, asked for my WPA key, and that was that. So, I installed, and it's currently wirelessly streaming mp3s in the kitchen from the iTunes library up on the little NAS server at the top of the house.

Of course, the stray wifi rays will be giving the poor local orphans leukaemia. Never mind.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Hardly Herring
« Reply #129 on: 14 June, 2008, 12:49:20 am »
Well, I've finally taken the plunge & upgraded to Hardly Herring  :-\ Nothing untoward has happened yet  :thumbsup:

My desktop icons have reappeared  :o

« Reply #130 on: 14 June, 2008, 12:06:18 pm »
I've been happy with it since I upgraded. However I bought a new mouse yesterday (MS Natural 6000) and now I've got to figure out how to make the extra functions work. Help!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #131 on: 14 June, 2008, 02:41:28 pm »
Usually by editing the Xconfig file somewhere.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

bobajobrob

« Reply #132 on: 15 June, 2008, 03:54:43 pm »

No real idea. Ubuntu did claim it had proprietary drivers for the Atheros chipset but they didn't work.

Strange, perhaps it was a version or configuration problem.