Author Topic: Energy bills, government ‘help’ and the like  (Read 21400 times)

Re: Energy bills, government ‘help’ and the like
« Reply #250 on: 26 March, 2024, 07:34:56 pm »
I have resisted the blandishments of our energy supplier (SO) and requested they make no more - which they have thus far adhered to.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #251 on: 26 March, 2024, 08:10:14 pm »
It's done.

I had to manually enter the meter MPAN / MPRN numbers because they could not pick them up, but it's done now.

This might have been the issue with BG: They had the wrong postcode for the flat.
It was previously an office building, that's been demolished. It had a postcode.
The new-build flats all got new postcodes.
But when I bought the place and simply took over the supply from the incumbent supplier BG, I could not register an account with the new postcode. I had to use the old one. They had not updated their postcode database. And so it has been ever since; I have the wrong old postcode with BG. There's no way to fix that, AFAIK.

This might be at the root of their woes.
I suspect that when they 'updated' their system, they picked up a new postcode database, and now Things Didn't Match.
But they have no staff who can fix that.
It's off-script for the call-centre staff, and they have no-one they can escalate to. There is no second-level support.
All they can do is drop out of the bottom of their script with an "else: Our engineers are working diligently to resolve the issue!", which they know is bollocks; there are no engineers.

The company doesn't care; it's not a major dent in their revenue, and it only marginally increases the churn.
They might get paid incentives to install the smart meters, but they don't care if they work or not, that's not incentivised.
Having to read the things is a cost to the customer, not the company.

Anyways, Octopus now have the correct postcode and MPAN / MPRN numbers.

« Reply #252 on: 26 March, 2024, 08:11:22 pm »
And this afternoon I get an email from British Gas, the energy supplier for the lady lacking capacity that I hold Power of Deputy for.

They want a meter reading.

Hmmm.  Dials and waits for over 20 minutes.  The conversation starts after the formalities:

Me:  Didn't you install smart meters in January?

BG:  Yes.

Me:  So, why do you need a manual reading?

BG:  Er, it appears that there is an issue with the smart meter ...

I have suggested that they send a meter reader as well as somebody to diagnose and fix the fault.

I couldn't have made the timing of this up if I had tried   🤣🤣🤣

rr

« Reply #253 on: 31 March, 2024, 09:01:45 am »

They had the wrong postcode for the flat.
It was previously an office building, that's been demolished. It had a postcode.
The new-build flats all got new postcodes.

These things are a nightmare, at the moment, at work, I am dealing with a converted office building where a ground floor's address is a different street to the upper floors, not to mention a very different postcode.