Author Topic: Your favourite apple  (Read 3044 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Your favourite apple
« Reply #25 on: 24 October, 2010, 06:40:03 pm »
Laxton's Superb. Never tried one, just like the name.

We used to have a Laxton tree at my parents' house. I reckon it was planted in 1958, when we moved in.

I also remember a "King of the Pippin" tree which my dad moved with us, on the back of a lorry.

There was already a massive Blenheim Orange tree in the garden, which gave large fruit sweet enough for eating and softened enough to be cookers as well. That tree gave cwts of fruit every year until one year, after a particularly prolific autumn, it turned its toes up.

I also recall a Bramley which my dad planted. After the October 1987 gale it was leaning at about 45° but a we tied a rope to it and pulled it upright. It survived until my parents moved in with us in 2001.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #26 on: 26 October, 2010, 11:36:26 am »
Granny Smith for sure - got to be crisp and crunchy and their colour is fantastic.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #27 on: 26 October, 2010, 01:25:41 pm »
Ashmead's Kernel, no question. 

Not sure whether I'll get any supplies this year ...

« Reply #28 on: 04 November, 2010, 10:56:51 pm »
James Grieve. Has a short season - not good for winter storage -  but better than Worcester Permain when the two's seasons ovelap (if you see what I mean).

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #29 on: 04 November, 2010, 10:58:00 pm »
Granny Smith - I'm the only one in the house who likes them  :thumbsup:

« Reply #30 on: 04 November, 2010, 11:07:26 pm »
Granny Smith - I'm the only one in the house who likes them  :thumbsup:

No fans amongst the Guinea pigs?
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #31 on: 05 November, 2010, 01:05:19 am »
When we planted a mini orchard a few years ago, we spent many hours at Brogdale tasting specimens and poring over the catalogue. Blenheim Orange, Worcester Pearmain and James Grieve were definitely three of them, not sure about the others. I think there was an Egremont or some other similar russet.

Unfortunately, we moved house before they matured so never got to enjoy them properly. :(

I wish we'd dug up the trees and brought them with us but I don't know that they would have survived.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Jakob

« Reply #32 on: 09 November, 2010, 12:55:46 am »
Fuji
Very popular here and has become my new favourite.

Alternatively Pink Lady (Cripps), which is very similar.

« Reply #33 on: 09 December, 2010, 12:37:15 pm »
I don't often look in the "food & drink" board, so I missed this thread when it was "live".  However, in case anyone is interested, there is a very informative site about apple varieties here Our apple descriptions

FWIW, Cox is my favourite eating apple, and I eat Braeburns or Jazz when Cox is out of season.  I can't stand bland varieties like Golden or Red Delicious, and I don't like Granny Smith much, either.  Although it looks nice, it has a tough skin and has no flavour beyond acidity.  YMMV.

« Reply #34 on: 09 December, 2010, 04:52:48 pm »
A lot of apples used to be grown in North Yorkshire. Completely different varieties form those from Kent for obvious reasons and production was on a much smaller scale, mainly for local use.
Ampleforth abbey has loads of these old varieties and they sell them. I keep meaning to go over one autumn and get some to try.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #35 on: 10 December, 2010, 10:08:45 am »
Egremont Russet
Beauty of Babylon