Author Topic: Pain in knees and achilles tendon after a long ride  (Read 7178 times)

Chris N

Re: Pain in knees and achilles tendon after a long ride
« Reply #25 on: 06 March, 2011, 11:48:32 pm »
Saddle height seems to be a factor in my case.  Both 1000k+ rides I've done (and a couple of 4/600s) have resulted in badly inflamed achilles tendons.  Since then I've dropped my saddle by a cm or so and it seems to be better.  Won't know for sure until August though. :-\

« Reply #26 on: 06 March, 2011, 11:52:43 pm »
Well thanks everyone for the advice, experimenting with the saddle height is something I can easily do  :D
My new seat post has handy numbers on it so I can even remember where it was to start with if I make it worse!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27 on: 06 March, 2011, 11:52:57 pm »
It took about 120k for the pain to start so it isn't easily reproduced, but I rode a 200k last week in the same boots and cleats without experiencing it. I was hoping to keep my saddle at the height it is because I think it gives me a better power output, but I might have to very slightly lower it and try a long ride to find out.

Know the feeling - my knee problem's only been reproducible with over an hour of riding, after which everything makes it hurt.  Makes it very tedious to be scientific about it.

As above, go to the known good saddle height, and try creeping it up in measured increments (stick a bit of tape round the seatpost or something if you need a reference to measure to) once you know it's not a problem.  When you get to the point where it starts to hurt, back it off a bit.  That should be pretty much optimal.

« Reply #28 on: 07 March, 2011, 11:18:18 am »
For ankle pain, I'd creep it down. Take it up for knee pain.

If getting both . . . amputation?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #29 on: 07 March, 2011, 11:35:32 am »
It could also be due to straining up those hills - I suffer more from achilles pain after hiller rides than not hilly regardless of distance.....With more riding over a similar terrain things improve.. :thumbsup: Now I've got to sort out this years lower back pain whilst hurting on hills..... :facepalm:

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #30 on: 07 March, 2011, 11:41:46 am »
Achilles pain is often a sign of the saddle being too high or the cleats being in the wrong position

+1 and so is knee pain at the front of the knee
Drop 5mm or 1cm.  It might feel extraordinarly low but stick with it for a long ride and see how you go.

AndyH

« Reply #31 on: 07 March, 2011, 11:46:20 am »
I know you spent a lot of time setting the position up, but in my experience you'll still need minor tweaks, and it takes a few longish rides to sort out finally. I've been doing a few mm here and there over 4 rides and think I'm just about there. Yesterday I rode round with a spare stem just in case I decided that 100 was better than 110mm. (It didn't get used).

Some pains just go away as your body gets used to what you are putting it through. As I got fitter last year most leg pains (knee, achilles) went away, & I ended it with shoulder pain, something I've never had before.

« Reply #32 on: 07 March, 2011, 12:08:56 pm »
I know you spent a lot of time setting the position up, but in my experience you'll still need minor tweaks, and it takes a few longish rides to sort out finally. I've been doing a few mm here and there over 4 rides and think I'm just about there. Yesterday I rode round with a spare stem just in case I decided that 100 was better than 110mm. (It didn't get used).

Some pains just go away as your body gets used to what you are putting it through. As I got fitter last year most leg pains (knee, achilles) went away, & I ended it with shoulder pain, something I've never had before.

LOL at the spare stem  :o
Yeah, I am not worried by the mild muscular pain in my left arm, I think that's just a never-before-used muscle saying OMG. My achilles might be trying to tell me something more important though :) Sadly for it I didn't listen on Saturday and just took an Ibuprofen  ;D

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #33 on: 07 March, 2011, 02:12:25 pm »
I did a blog entry on bike fit.  It is not a classic but you might find some random information there of interest

Long Distance Ride Bike Fit Tips &laquo; Audaxing

« Reply #34 on: 07 March, 2011, 02:24:15 pm »
I did a blog entry on bike fit.  It is not a classic but you might find some random information there of interest

Long Distance Ride Bike Fit Tips &laquo; Audaxing

Thanks Vorsprung this makes interesting reading :)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #35 on: 07 March, 2011, 03:00:55 pm »
Someone else pointed me at this site, which I'd not seen before.

bikefitting.com | made to maesure

The FAQs are good. They disagree about a couple of the things I say on my blog

« Reply #36 on: 08 March, 2011, 05:06:33 pm »
Well, very good news. I lowered the saddle by 1cm today as a test and rode 103km, absolutely no achilles pain at all. You are all geniuses  :thumbsup:

I might try gradually raising it a few mm at a time now to find out how high I can go before the problem restarts.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #37 on: 09 March, 2011, 04:31:21 pm »
I got the saddle height vs knee pain the wrong way around

Knee pain at the front of the knee...saddle is too low, raise saddle
Back of knee....too high, drop saddle

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #38 on: 09 March, 2011, 08:20:54 pm »
Both at the same time: replace knees.

Nightfly

« Reply #39 on: 10 March, 2011, 12:10:08 am »
After 250 miles it is only your Achilles that are hurting ......... You are lucky. For me every bone and muscle in my body would screaming and aching, I would have been through so many pain barriers I would be in intensive care. Chapeau if you can ride 250 miles in one go. Around 100 miles is my limit.

Re the OP's Achilles - try massaging them and other numb parts  ;).

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #40 on: 01 June, 2011, 01:22:21 pm »
After the 600 last weekend, I've got pain in my left achilles tendon but not the right. The pain is manageable with Nurofen but I felt the strain when I tried to ride a Boris Bike this morning (first time back on a bike since Sunday evening).

I also have some discomfort in my left foot - the 4th and 5th toes and the metatarsal/phalangeal joint area on that side of the foot were numb by the time I finished the ride and still haven't fully recovered normal feeling.

As per earlier comments, I might try lowering the saddle a touch before the next long ride (two weeks) but in the meantime, should I get it checked out? Or is rest the only cure?

I suspect my shoes might be part of the problem - they're quite old and worn out. Probably time to invest in some new ones. Like I can afford them!  ::-)

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #41 on: 01 June, 2011, 02:33:12 pm »
After the 600 last weekend, I've got pain in my left achilles tendon but not the right. The pain is manageable with Nurofen but I felt the strain when I tried to ride this morning.

I also have some discomfort in my left foot - the 4th and 5th toes and the metatarsal/phalangeal joint area on that side of the foot were numb by the time I finished the ride and still haven't fully recovered normal feeling.

As per earlier comments, I might try lowering the saddle a touch before the next long ride (two weeks) but in the meantime, should I get it checked out? Or is rest the only cure?

I suspect my shoes might be part of the problem - they're quite old and worn out. Probably time to invest in some new ones. Like I can afford them!  ::-)

d.

I can't offer any expert advice, but if you have this problem in one foot/achilles and not the other, there might be something asymmetrical about your position?
I would check my cleats first and then ask someone to ride behind me for a while and see if I am symmetrical or not.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #42 on: 01 June, 2011, 04:24:01 pm »
Hmmm. I wonder... Now you mention it, I have a feeling my saddle might not be perfectly straight. In fact, I think it might be slightly misshapen. I've not thought it worth worrying about before, but maybe I should.

Might just be down to the exertion, though - this was a rather hilly ride. Plus I didn't have this problem after the 400 a couple of weeks ago (though my knees felt like they'd been whacked with a baseball bat for a day or so after that one).

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

simonp

« Reply #43 on: 01 June, 2011, 08:10:34 pm »
I can't offer any expert advice, but if you have this problem in one foot/achilles and not the other, there might be something asymmetrical about your position?
I would check my cleats first and then ask someone to ride behind me for a while and see if I am symmetrical or not.

Heh. This happened while riding ahead of a lady:

"Simon, has anyone ever told you what you look like from behind?"

My surprised response: "Er, no?!"*

It turned out she wasn't referring to my derrière but to the different angle of my left foot to my right. And my left knee has been a problem for years, as has left Achilles tightness.

* Or yes. But not afaicr whilst cycling. :)