Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 283997 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Hit 20c today and is warmer outside than in.

Forecast 20c for six days.

Except for viewers in Scotland…
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Yellow warning of rain for Furryboottoon. Amber warning for some other parts of Scotland.

20C in Liverpool today.   I've just been out for a walk & stupidly grabbed a thick "autumn weight" shirt from the rack.   Mistake, I was dripping when I got back. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Nogweegie weather app says 23 in Londonton.  Shorts & T-shaped shirt for trip to Crool Nurse for flu stab and Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles for Stuffs, Rugby Football for the watching of.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Maximum temperature 25.9°C in my garden at 3.30pm today. That isn't the highest October temperature I've ever recorded. That was in (I think) 2013. I recall 5 consecutive days, all above 26.5°C (80°F), 29/9/2013 - 3/10/2013.

We will see what tomorrow brings.

Edit: looking at the calendar, I think it was 2011.

Footnote: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10.msg1056290#msg1056290 refers
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Yellow warning of rain for Furryboottoon. Amber warning for some other parts of Scotland.
What? Yellow warning and amber warning are different things? I have no idea which is meant to be more dangerouser.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Hmm, seems they are different, at least in Scotlandland, and amber is more warninger.
If possible, you should avoid driving no matter the warning level. Driving in a yellow warning may not pose a likely risk, but there is likely to be increased congestion and disruption on the road. Driving in amber and red warnings pose a greater risk, therefore travel should be avoided unless absolutely essential.
I find this at best non-intuitive, I'd say even counter-intuitive as to my mind is a dark form of yellow, not a bright, look at me I'm dangerous, colour.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Maximum temperature 25.9°C in my garden at 3.30pm today. That isn't the highest October temperature I've ever recorded. That was in (I think) 2013. I recall 5 consecutive days, all above 26.5°C (80°F), 29/9/2013 - 3/10/2013.

We will see what tomorrow brings.

Edit: looking at the calendar, I think it was 2011.

Footnote: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10.msg1056290#msg1056290 refers
I remember that year. We had been to a meeting in USA leaving a young friend house sitting. We returned expecting to be in thick jumpers to summer weather and had several barbecues with young friend as she stayed on for a few days.

Has Trump's Golf Courses drowned yet?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
What? Yellow warning and amber warning are different things? I have no idea which is meant to be more dangerouser.

I'm sure that has come up before.  I find it incredibly confusing, as in my mind they're effectively synonyms when used to refer to traffic lights or similar (I accept that amber is a probably bit darker when used to describe paint, gels, etc.).

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Arising from the above:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=51227.msg1059110#msg1059110

Max of 26.6°C here. That's three consecutive October days over 80°F.

In fact, the past 5 days have all been 80°F or higher, the longest hot spell this year. The four preceding days were all over 70°F. There was a spell of 9 consecutive days in August in which every day was 70°F or higher, but the previous longest spell was 5 days in April.

Madness. At least tomorrow will be a bit more normal at 19°C - assuming the forecast to be right.

Annoyingly, my detailed results have been lost in server changes etc. I've had the weather station since December 2010.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

Probly not, unfortunately. It's been raining all day but not as much as elsewhere in Scotland.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah

Probly not, unfortunately. It's been raining all day but not as much as elsewhere in Scotland.

TV's Sarah Keith-Lucas says it’s heading your way thobut.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

I've just remembered he's got one (for the moment) down in the soggy areas.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

TV's Sarah Keith-Lucas says it’s heading your way thobut.

Still just a yellow warning for us.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
23°C and sunny forecast for us today. We are off to my brother’s house for al fresco lunch. He’s 15 or so miles away. Similar forecast for him.

14.6°C at 8am.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Final BTCC meeting at Brands Hatch today. It's supposed to be freezing and pissing down and the final race run in near-darkness.  This [indicates blazing sunshine] bain't be natural  :-\

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
23.9°C in my garden atm, and rising…1

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
It's been fairly soggy these last couple of days.

https://www2.sepa.org.uk/rainfall

25.3° C on the shady side of my shed.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Bastards, the lot of you.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
26.3°C was today’s maximum in Prittlewell.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Blue skies, but a gentle 20/21° here, which left me no excuse not to cut the lawn.  Bugger.
At least I only have to take the cuttings over the road now.  New neighbours have two goats.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Blue skies and warm here too, and more to the point it's to be 14° minimum overnight so sore throat or no I'll be outta here.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight