Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Further and Faster / Re: New bike for Audax from Halfords.
« Last post by tonyh on Today at 04:22:59 pm »

1. As so often, there's a huge amount of useful knowledge and advice on here.

2. By the way, I've always been disappointed by the difference between my effortful speeds on a "fast light bike with fast tyres" and the other sort. On the whole, less than 1mph. Is it me??
Nothing matching here either.

On my upwrong (Faran 2.5) I use
- Alpkit cylindrical top-zipped bar bag (tried a double-ended thingy with a valve, but it was too big and fouled the light)
- Fork cages/bags from Planet X
- Tailfin and rackpack
- Ortlieb gravel panniers

I also sometimes use a top-tube snack pack.  I'm thinking of front rack for this and panniers at the front with the fork cages mounted on the Tailfin instead for more even weighting.

On the 'bent I have bananananana bags, and a Carradice rack pack with pannier options as well.  Snack pack gets use on there as the middle jersey pocket becomes unavailable
OT Knowledge / Re: Underfloor heating pros / cons
« Last post by hellymedic on Today at 04:13:48 pm »
UFH creates convection currents of nice, warm air, that dry out wood and can warp/distort it. This is mostly a problem under grand pianos, which occupy a large floor area.
(Acoustic) pianos need a constant, low humidity to stay in tune.

Mats to place on heated floors, under pianos, are available.
https://countrywidepianos.co.uk/our-pianos/piano-accessories/protect-your-piano-from-underfloor-heating/#:~:text=Underfloor%20heating%20produces%20rising%20hot,both%20upright%20and%20grand%20pianos.
Ctrl-Alt-Del / A FTTP question
« Last post by rafletcher on Today at 04:10:44 pm »
I’m considering switching to FTTP with (currently at least) the only provider we can access, that being Gigaclear, who installed the infrastructure in our village. Our house isn’t great for WiFi so I use a mesh (currently TP-Link Deco M5 connected to an LAN port on the router) and the Vodafone router’s WiFi is turned off.

Presently I pay £32pcm for unlimited at 70mbs. Gigaclear’s sale price (like DFS its seems a permanent come-on offering) is £17pcm for 18 months, thereafter list price, whatever that might be - they’re a bit cagey tho I’d expect an “out of contract” rate of around double. In reality the 70mbs we get from ADSL is plenty, so it’s just a cost saving exercise initially, and for stability - we’re in a linear village with one copper line running through it.

Gigaclear provide a Linksys Velop router as standard, but reports are that it’s WiFi isn’t too good, so I’d still want to use a mesh setup. I assume I can do exactly the same as I currently do? 

In terms of installation, and I’m assuming it’s the same no matter the provider, I think I’d get a box on the wall that terminates the fibre (and requires power?) and that then connects by cable to the WAN port on the router?
« Last post by Paul H on Today at 04:05:47 pm »
I thought the average speed for Audax was 15 Kmh Which is what I gleaned from reading posts on here. but someone just said it's 25 Kmh.

To clarify. Average speed is 15kph. But that includes stops. So if you cycle at a constant 15kph, you won't have time to stop for food, or to pee. So generally you want to be a bit quicker. I'm happy if I average 20kph when moving.

J
For those rides under 200km, BP's, it's usually 12.5kph though can be as low as 10 at the organisers discretion. 
It isn't usually speed that would cause someone to not finish a BP, unless it's particularly hilly, if they can ride the distance they can probably do it within the time.
The Pub / Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Last post by T42 on Today at 04:01:40 pm »
Noticed yesterday that at some point recently the retaining ring round the nozzle of the Road Morph had morphed off into the scenery.  Action prompt and immediate: nipped indoors and ordered a rebuild kit.

20 minutes ago I remembered that last year, when the pump needed a new washer, I had ordered a rebuild kit and only used the washer so the rest of it should still be in the workshop.

It was. Pump has its ring again and there's a complete rebuild kit on the way. Oh well, they're cheap.
Arts and Entertainment / Re: Great cover versions
« Last post by Steph on Today at 03:53:59 pm »
https://youtu.be/4nTo8rjo-lM?si=DnRFm1UlQlD6nL4-

Weezer's cover of "Paranoid Android" from a few years ago.  Oh, the lead guitarist's not really as good as Jonny, say Radiohead fans.  You do need to take into account that he's normally the drummer!

It is superb!

As an older person, I immediately thought of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=hTXOW_jJdKE&embeds_referring_euri=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bing.com%2F&embeds_referring_origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bing.com&source_ve_path=Mjg2NjY&feature=emb_logo
Freewheeling / Re: Pilgrimage Symposium, 17/Apr/24, London
« Last post by ElyDave on Today at 03:51:19 pm »
I wonder when that was taken, it's still quite low rise, but you might see more concrete these days.

If you could find a high spot you could have a similar view of Cambridge, just don't get Addenbrookes or Girton in the picture
« Last post by quixoticgeek on Today at 03:50:37 pm »
Hello Blodwyn.
Here's my spec. I'm a Man. 5'9". 60 years old about 14 1/2 Stone. I have a full Car and Motorcycle License. I want to build a certain level of fitness so that I'm not the fat git at the back holding everyone up.
I thought the average speed for Audax was 15 Kmh Which is what I gleaned from reading posts on here. but someone just said it's 25 Kmh.

If I may, I'll contact You and Kim directly when I have ridden a bit further and faster.

To clarify. Average speed is 15kph. But that includes stops. So if you cycle at a constant 15kph, you won't have time to stop for food, or to pee. So generally you want to be a bit quicker. I'm happy if I average 20kph when moving.

As mentioned up thread, this gives me 10 hours to ride, and 3.5 hours for eating, admiring the view, and any mechanicals. I do know people who ride a lot faster. On the last 200km BRM I organised one rider arrived on the dot of 0645. Giving a 30kph average including stops. Which is bloomin fast. The final rider came in at about 13 hours.

Don't worry about 25kph. You may get there, but it's not necessarily, and setting it as target may be disheartening.

An Audax is in theory a solo event. Being slow isn't a problem, you don't hold anyone up. People might disappear up the road, but you're not holding anyone up.

No good organiser is going to have any problem with you arriving at 13:29, as long as you've not taken the piss by sitting in the pub round the corner having a beer or 3. An organiser knows the time limit on the ride, and signs up to be there for the whole time.

The biggest sin in Audax is to abandon the ride without telling the organiser. Being slow is entirely ok. You don't hold anyone up. Ride your own ride. Tho you might do a lot of riding alone. (I've done almost all my Audax rides completely solo as everyone is quicker than me).

So. Don't worry too much about speed. 25kph is unobtainably optimistic for a new audaxer anyway.

Just ride. And that invite for the Amsterdam Audax events is a genuine invite.

J
Online quizzes / Re: Squaredle
« Last post by Pingu on Today at 03:49:34 pm »
I played https://squaredle.com 04/27:
*24/24 words
🎯 Perfect accuracy
🔥 Solve streak: 30
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10