Author Topic: Google Maps - hiding labels  (Read 1447 times)

Google Maps - hiding labels
« on: 18 January, 2021, 09:03:05 am »
A source of frustration for me.  I need to zoom the map in but increasingly selfish bastards have dropped label pins which appear automatically blocking what I would like to see.  I thought that you could in the past simply select a >no labels> view but it seems to have evaporated.

Does anybody have a solution please or am I going to have to subscribe to a paid for and unpolluted map service?

I note that you can easily turn labels off in satellite view but not in map view.

Re: Google Maps - hiding labels
« Reply #1 on: 18 January, 2021, 12:17:31 pm »
Bing is free and has OS mapping in the UK

« Reply #2 on: 18 January, 2021, 12:20:32 pm »
That is very helpful.  Thank you.  🙂

Chris N

« Reply #3 on: 18 January, 2021, 01:15:45 pm »
Create a new map under 'your places' and you can change the base map to one that doesn't have labels.  Simple Atlas, for example.

« Reply #4 on: 18 January, 2021, 03:05:47 pm »
If you select OS maps you get OS maps provided you are zoomed in sufficiently.

« Reply #5 on: 18 January, 2021, 03:55:40 pm »
Where is the Path is another option which offers OS maps.

Davef

Google Maps - hiding labels
« Reply #6 on: 18 January, 2021, 03:56:50 pm »
Bing are os maps if you select that option and you can zoom in to 1:50000 and then zoom further to 1:25000. For those of a geeky nature the projection is different and so the grid lines are slightly off horizontal and vertical.

Edit: and ps I don’t think open street map uses os data, it has its own monumentally large vector data set.

« Reply #7 on: 18 January, 2021, 06:19:37 pm »
Top right of bing map within the actual map is a rectangle with the text road. Click on that. Ordnance survey at bottom of choices.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 18 January, 2021, 06:20:31 pm »
If you select OS maps you get OS maps provided you are zoomed in sufficiently.

Where I am stuck is I have looked at all the options at the top and the bottom of a Bing Maps screen and cannot find where to select OS maps (or any other maps), just road or aerial. It's not in Settings, nor in More, so any help would be appreciated as it doies not seem very obvious. I am sure it will be once someone points out where! Thanks in advance.

Top right of the map display is a box with a square of map that says "Road", with a compass "go to my location" and "+" "-" zoom buttons below it.  If you can't see them, the window may be a stupid size and some scrollbar-fu required.

If I click on the "Road" box it offers me the alternatives 'Aerial' 'Streetside' and 'Ordance Survey' options.  If you don't get those, it's probably decided you're not in the UK for licencing reasons.

« Reply #9 on: 18 January, 2021, 06:21:05 pm »
This is what I get when I hover the cursor over 'Road' on Chrome on Win10:

If it doesn't work for you maybe it is because we have taken back control  ::-)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #10 on: 18 January, 2021, 07:37:56 pm »
They're not up to date OS maps. The Aberdeen Western Peripheral Route is still projected or under construction. Streetmap.co.uk has more up to date OS maps.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 18 January, 2021, 08:38:31 pm »
Streetmap.co.uk has more up to date OS maps.

Horrible UI, thobut.