Author Topic: Getting a Cat! Tips please  (Read 11684 times)

Getting a Cat! Tips please
« on: 10 September, 2022, 11:41:49 am »
We have finally found a rescue shelter that will let us have a cat!  We are getting a 4 year old cat this coming Friday; we have been told she needs to stay in the house for 4 weeks to settle before she is allowed outside.
Not had a cat since the 90s, I understand that these days cats are microchipped and don't need collars and the flea collars have been replaced by drops.
What are key things you think I should know RE the cat.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Getting a Cat! Tips please
« Reply #1 on: 10 September, 2022, 11:55:37 am »
Always let them sniff you before you touch, stroke them.

Don’t stare, blinking is good and friendly.

Make sure she has a safe place to go to when stressed
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2 on: 10 September, 2022, 12:32:01 pm »
Get the biggest litter tray you can. My rescue cat would pee near the edge of the first one I got and the piss would go over the edge. That stopped when I got a larger one with deeper sidewalls.

The supermarket own brand Dreamies are just as popular with my cat and they can be used sparingly as familiarising treats.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #3 on: 10 September, 2022, 12:45:37 pm »
Get her insured - trust me it is worth it!
Get her registered with a vet. Ask the rescue and local cat owners for recomendations
Most vets have an plan you can pay annually or monthly to cover her annual checks, vaccinations, worm/flea treatment and offer various discounts eg on neutering and meds and food.
Get her neutered if not already done.
Get her vaccinated annually.
Get her microchipped - if she is already chipped make sure you update your details.  (Vet or rescue can scan to see if she is already chipped.
Get a good cat carrier before you need it. And a cat hatch if you intend to let her outdoors.
Find out as much about her background as you can, including what food she has been having.
Most cats need to have several beds - boxes are often popular - and will often like to be high up esp if there are young children or other pets.
My last cat lived to age 24 years, they are a log term committment.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 10 September, 2022, 12:49:01 pm »
Make the cat carrier a normal ordinary part of the furniture for sitting in and chasing toys into and so on (possibly remove the door).  That way its appearance won't serve as early warning of a vet visit.

« Reply #5 on: 10 September, 2022, 12:55:06 pm »
Good point,
Ourcarrier serves as an additional barricade in front of the cat hatch when locked, to save it from destruction.
And a top-loading carrier is a lot easier than trying to stuff her in a front door type.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #7 on: 10 September, 2022, 08:39:24 pm »
Some cats are robots. Don't trust their programming. Some cats aren't. Don't trust them either.

Basically, let her acclimatize to her surroundings, she'll find places to sleep, all cats have a series of favourite places and her own schedule that suits her personality. Don't bother her at first, she'll get around to bothering you eventually. She needs to accept you as a subservient cat.

If she's going to be an outdoor cat, consider a microchip cat flap, it'll keep the local riffraff out. All modern cats have microchips, like people. She'll be neutered, unlike people. Remember that the cats' main predator is the motor car, so letting a cat outdoors is usually a bad idea if you're near a busy road.

Flea collars and pet-shop flea stuff don't work these days (the bugs are resistant), vets do prescription drops for external and internal parasites, they're not cheap, but they're worth it. Just hope you don't have one like LMC, good luck squirting the back of her neck and living to tell that tale. She should get an annual check-up and a series of boosters. Yes, you will compare your vet with your GP and wonder if you'd get better service in your surgery if you attended as a furry. You'd also probably get something shoved up your arse, I leave the reader to decide whether that's a positive or negative outcome. Vet bills are very expensive as all vets are (a) posh and therefore (b) need a minimum of twenty ski trips a year.

Get used to cleaning up vomit. Cats love being sick. I recommend Dr Beckmann's Carpet Cleaner. Every cat owner should buy shares in this company. Or just get a hardwood floor.

Big litter tray, be aware that they may be particular about the type of litter. If they don't like what you've provided, they won't need human language to express this. The enclosed trays hold in some of the smell.

Find out what she eats. They're fussy about food too. Often mental for tinned tuna. Bad Cat will climb up me to try and get the can. Seriously, she's learned how to operate the can opener and she doesn't even have opposable thumbs. If it got her into a can of tuna, she'd learn quantum physics.

Cats that don't get run over, tend to live to old age (twenty or so, unlike dogs, a quarter of which don't make four years these days).

Consider catteries etc. if you go on holiday, not leaving them to fend for themselves (which is mean and unfair). Plus they might choose the make the point by burning down the house while you are away.

« Reply #8 on: 10 September, 2022, 08:45:42 pm »
Our biggest Maine Coon needed three doses of the spot-on flea stuff. Getting one through the double coat of fur without losing too much blood was hard enough. Any more was madness.
The vet came up with a tablet instead, so we took them either two or four times a year for their doses, one of which was the annual MOT and jazz anyway.

Basically, cats are fairly easy. Remember they are independently minded beasties, but will be very affectionate on their terms.

Enjoy!
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 10 September, 2022, 08:59:33 pm »
Enclosed litter trays do little to contain the smell, and a lot to contain the litter.  And would presumably thwart the Brian The Stupid approach of sitting in the litter tray and pooing overboard.  Recommended. 

Never buy Marks & Spencer's cat food because you're pants shopping and happen to need some cat food.  The cat will decide that she likes it, and demand you make special M&S shopping trips forevermore.

Have an off-cut of your precious carpet kicking about to function as a sacrificial anode.

ian

« Reply #10 on: 10 September, 2022, 09:03:25 pm »
Yeah, food escalation. We now have Ottolenghi chained up in the basement and he has to make them an eight-course meze for every meal.

« Reply #11 on: 10 September, 2022, 09:07:58 pm »
Seconded a covered litter tray - cats like the privacy.

As to food, it can be a minefield finding something they like (ask the shelter as a first step) but we buy ours from Zooplus.com who seem to offer decent value, and around a 3 day delivery.

We’re in the country so don’t bother with a microchip / magnetic cat flap.

You’ll need the annual jabs if ever you want to use a cattery.

And accept them as they are. Our current cat is very aloof compared to the previous 2, but hey, we’re giving her a home for her.  If you want affection get a dog.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #12 on: 10 September, 2022, 09:10:12 pm »
I can totally recommend the approach of getting 1 type of quality (not kitekat or that shite) dry food and sticking to it.
Don't get sucked into the 20 different flavours of sachet, that way lies fussy bastards.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #13 on: 10 September, 2022, 10:04:38 pm »
...You’ll need the annual jabs if ever you want to use a cattery...

And so will the cat.

I'm here all week, try the buffet, ect, ect. Oi, that's not my coat!

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #14 on: 10 September, 2022, 10:06:53 pm »
Also, this will need to be updated: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=144.0

ian

« Reply #15 on: 11 September, 2022, 02:04:13 pm »
Our biggest Maine Coon needed three doses of the spot-on flea stuff. Getting one through the double coat of fur without losing too much blood was hard enough. Any more was madness.
The vet came up with a tablet instead, so we took them either two or four times a year for their doses, one of which was the annual MOT and jazz anyway.

Basically, cats are fairly easy. Remember they are independently minded beasties, but will be very affectionate on their terms.

Enjoy!

LMC smells the stuff the moment we open the tube and she's gone. If you do catch her, she needs a minimum of three people to hold her, and there are only two of us, so it's a vet and two nurses' job. She did once poop down the vet's cleavage though during one of these endeavours. She's a very affectionate cat, but on her own terms, which often means 4 am. She doesn't generally miaow other than when she has her beemouse, a stuffed toy she likes to carry around the house like a kitten while doing full-on cat opera.

Bad Cat is just soft, you can pick her up and swing her around, and she miaows all the time. She'll follow us around and she's always by the door when we get home. Completely different personality. She's a bit dim though.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #16 on: 11 September, 2022, 02:19:13 pm »
Most important of all………love it to bits, and it will love you too.

« Reply #17 on: 11 September, 2022, 02:23:28 pm »

Enjoy!

I'll just leave this old thread on that very subject here, because it is well worth re-reading for a giggle: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=21791.0
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

ian

« Reply #18 on: 11 September, 2022, 04:23:00 pm »
Get used to exciting adventures like yesterday, when I came home and fed them some Dreamies and then, as a poured myself a beer, Bad Cat walked into the living room and threw them all up.

I have this thing where if I see and touch warm sick, I have to throw up too. Fortunately in the loo.

Then, after I'd cleaned up my own mess, I got back into the kitchen to resume my beer pouring to find Bad Cat sitting by her treats waiting for some more. She didn't get any.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #19 on: 11 September, 2022, 09:45:17 pm »
Get used to exciting adventures like yesterday, when I came home and fed them some Dreamies and then, as a poured myself a beer, Bad Cat walked into the living room and threw them all up.

I have this thing where if I see and touch warm sick, I have to throw up too. Fortunately in the loo.

Then, after I'd cleaned up my own mess, I got back into the kitchen to resume my beer pouring to find Bad Cat sitting by her treats waiting for some more. She didn't get any.

When we had Mojo & Pippin, Pippin used to regurgitate her food about once a day (we didn't realise this wasn't feline SOP until we got this pair - but don't worry, they have other weirdness to make up for it). Fortunately for us, Mojo thought that warmed up cat biscuits was a delicacy so used to hoover them all up with gusto. Which meant I didn't have to clean up too much cat barf.

« Reply #20 on: 14 September, 2022, 08:27:50 am »
If you don't already have a carpet cleaner get one of these:

Small and makes cleaning up sick etc less horrible plus your carpet wont stink.

Your can thank me later.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #21 on: 15 September, 2022, 07:10:22 pm »
Cat barf fortunately doesn’t smell much.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #22 on: 15 September, 2022, 07:58:17 pm »
I do hope we're not putting fd3 off with all these tales of woe.
Most of the time cats are well behaved, clean and tidy creatures and the benefits far out way the disadvantages.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #23 on: 16 September, 2022, 02:30:38 pm »
You're certainly putting me off... my husband would like a cat but I'm much less enthusiastic.

ian

« Reply #24 on: 16 September, 2022, 09:09:10 pm »
Nah, cats are ace. Our two are occasionally annoying and make the periodical mess, but we wouldn't be without them. We always said we wouldn't bother with pets as we travel a lot and generally are quite busy, but then the one of us who isn't me gave a stray cat some tuna fish, despite the one of us who is me, saying no, don't give that cat any tuna fish. Understandably that became our cat and she was great. When she passed into the great furry beyond, we said, that's that, no more pets, let's do exciting stuff like drive around New Zealand for a month. A week later, the one of us who isn't me presented the one of us who is me with a series of printouts from a local animal rescue place. So the same night we ended up with two kittens. We never did drive around New Zealand.

Children, on the other hand, we'd have thrown in the canal years ago. Hell, we'd throw other people's kids in the canal with rocks tied to them.