Author Topic: Pile of Welsh rubble fly-tipped in Wiltshire  (Read 2713 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Pile of Welsh rubble fly-tipped in Wiltshire
« on: 12 February, 2021, 08:11:36 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/feb/12/dramatic-discovery-links-stonehenge-to-its-original-site-in-wales?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

It seems that it isn’t just the Bluestones that come from Pembrokeshire, but the whole edifice was removed and rebuilt.

Fascinating stuff.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
Re: Pile of Welsh rubble fly-tipped in Wiltshire
« Reply #1 on: 12 February, 2021, 09:07:49 am »
Now Wales will want Stonehenge returned - makes Elgin an easy job. "Rhowch nhw yn ôl yn union fel y daethoch o hyd iddynt, os gwelwch yn dda"
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 12 February, 2021, 09:09:02 am »
Pembrokeshire was Irish, though, so that's OK.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 12 February, 2021, 09:30:28 am »
Bloody travellers!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 12 February, 2021, 09:32:39 am »
Makes you wonder why. The Geoffrey of Monmouth Giants' Dance legend makes it sound like some sort of spoils of war; as if, say, the Prussians had dismantled the Arc de Triomphe in 1870 and transported it to Berlin (except that would have been relatively easy in comparison). I'm sure similar things have been done in modern times but I can't think of any details right now.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5 on: 12 February, 2021, 09:51:43 am »
Makes you wonder why. The Geoffrey of Monmouth Giants' Dance legend makes it sound like some sort of spoils of war; as if, say, the Prussians had dismantled the Arc de Triomphe in 1870 and transported it to Berlin (except that would have been relatively easy in comparison). I'm sure similar things have been done in modern times but I can't think of any details right now.

Abu Simbel?  Ancient Egyptian wossname dismantled and moved to higher ground to avoid submersion under Lake Nasser.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #6 on: 12 February, 2021, 09:52:34 am »
Now Wales will want Stonehenge returned - makes Elgin an easy job. "Rhowch nhw yn ôl yn union fel y daethoch o hyd iddynt, os gwelwch yn dda"

I suspect a few citizens of Moray would be happy with a relocation to the warmer climes of Greece.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 12 February, 2021, 09:53:57 am »

Abu Simbel?  Ancient Egyptian wossname dismantled and moved to higher ground to avoid submersion under Lake Nasser.
Yep, that's a good example of moving a massive monument. I was thinking of ones specifically captured as spoils of war.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #8 on: 12 February, 2021, 09:58:16 am »
Any Egyptian needle anywhere other than Egypt? And even then...
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #9 on: 12 February, 2021, 10:02:12 am »

Yep, that's a good example of moving a massive monument. I was thinking of ones specifically captured as spoils of war.

London Bridge, captured by the Americans as part of a culture and economic war
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #10 on: 12 February, 2021, 10:28:33 am »
There's a BBC 2 programme about it this evening at 9pm. I shall break a habit and watch television!

That will actually give me a double heping of Professor Alice Roberts this evening as I've bought a ticket to a British Humanist Association Zoom lecture about the Science of Morality, and Prof Alice is in the chair. That's at 7pm.

« Reply #11 on: 12 February, 2021, 10:46:53 am »
... I've bought a ticket to a British Humanist Association Zoom lecture about the Science of Morality, and Prof Alice is in the chair. That's at 7pm.

Do you have a link for that please Wow.  I'd be interested.  I can of course catch up with her tv slot on iPlayer at another time.  We ZoomPub with friends on Friday evenings.

« Reply #12 on: 12 February, 2021, 10:47:31 am »
ah!  Thought for a moment George North had visited Swindon.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #13 on: 12 February, 2021, 04:30:31 pm »
... I've bought a ticket to a British Humanist Association Zoom lecture about the Science of Morality, and Prof Alice is in the chair. That's at 7pm.

Do you have a link for that please Wow.  I'd be interested.  I can of course catch up with her tv slot on iPlayer at another time.  We ZoomPub with friends on Friday evenings.

https://humanism.org.uk/events/our-events/?gclid=CjwKCAiA65iBBhB-EiwAW253WwmXhSnS8HD5vcBjg5pJdK5lDNFnpAlchhvYnwMTGrvJKDOpdKuPwRoCxb4QAvD_BwE

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #14 on: 12 February, 2021, 06:37:16 pm »

They only bought the outer cladding, though, and stuck it round a newly-molished concrete core in Lake Haversack City.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #15 on: 14 February, 2021, 10:12:29 pm »
I just watched the Stonehenge programme on iPlayer. I don't think I've ever seen so many professors on one programme before.

Do we have a collective noun for professors?

« Reply #16 on: 14 February, 2021, 10:24:37 pm »
An admission of professors

« Reply #17 on: 14 February, 2021, 10:26:01 pm »
I profess I don't know.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #18 on: 14 February, 2021, 10:50:39 pm »
A google suggests a pomposity of professors.

In other educational circles, that is not to be confused with a Swelling of Heads.

« Reply #19 on: 15 February, 2021, 07:36:58 am »
A few years ago, MrsC and I went to a weekend about Stonehenge at a local adult education centre.
There was a pomposity present, including Mike Parker Pearson.
The custom of that centre is for the Friday night session to be slightly off-topic or at least less serious, so they'd got the assistant county archeologist in to do a talk on some rescue archeology schemes. Poor chap looked terrified lecturing to that lot.

(Also there, but not a professor, was Julian Richards from Meet the Ancestors--amongst other things. We ended up having tea and cake with him and he seems to be a really nice chap).
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #20 on: 16 February, 2021, 09:22:28 am »

They only bought the outer cladding, though, and stuck it round a newly-molished concrete core in Lake Haversack City.

As I understand, they thought they were buying the Tower Bridge.  That might explain why they only put the outside on the Arizona structure.
But, someone got enough stone crumbs that they could put a few into a liquid-filled cap on souvenir-shop ballpoint pens and sell them as curios.  I was given one such many decades ago.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #21 on: 16 February, 2021, 02:21:23 pm »
The outfit who bought it strenuously deny that they thought they were getting Tower Bridge.  If it had been Donald Trump at the head of the operation I could believe it, but Robert McCulloch does actually appear to have been a successful businessman, making chainsaws and similar.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 17 February, 2021, 12:30:50 pm »
I just watched the Stonehenge programme on iPlayer. I don't think I've ever seen so many professors on one programme before.

Do we have a collective noun for professors?

Absence.  They're always off giving guest lectures or visiting research groups or being interviewed for TV programmes or whatever.

« Reply #23 on: 17 February, 2021, 12:58:08 pm »
By coincidence, we are watching repeats of "The Secrets of Orkney" from 2017? on BBC4. Neil Oliver presenting.
They were delighted to date massive Neolithic building projects at 3,300 BC, and proposed that the idea had spread from Orkney throughout the British Isles.
Now back to 3,500BC in Wales....
Fascinating stuff.

PS if you do watch "The Secrets of Orkney", it does suffer from an excess of media personalities and an surplus "adventurer".

PPS Have just said to husband "only on Yacf would you get a title like that..."

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
« Reply #24 on: 17 February, 2021, 06:29:26 pm »
Absence.  They're always off giving guest lectures or visiting research groups or being interviewed for TV programmes or whatever

"But tell me Professor, who does your work when you're away from the Faculty doing field work?"

Professor Branestawm "Why, the same people who do my work when I am in the Faculty."