Author Topic: Help bring me up to date !  (Read 12542 times)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Help bring me up to date !
« Reply #75 on: 26 July, 2010, 04:20:50 pm »
AFAIK I have always ridden 170 cranks (certainly am at the moment) and prefer a 60 - 80 cadence, generally nearer 80. I am 5'10" with a 32" inside leg. I think I am borderline 170 / 172.5mm cranks but am happy to stick with 170. Any views ?

I'd say stick to what you're used to, except 172.5 should be ok if your chosen chainset is only available in that option.

If you're on Campag 9 speed you can get a 13-28 Veloce cassette.

Or 14-28.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #76 on: 26 July, 2010, 05:04:05 pm »
So in conclusion Paul and Flatus agree that for Sportive type riding Ti off the peg frame with carbon forks is the way to go.  :)
Yes for “Sportive type riding Ti off the peg frame with carbon forks” would be a valid choice; but so is a Carbon frame. In my opinion in terms of the riding experience it’s the sportive bikes where the pro’s and con’s of Titanium versus Carbon frames are well matched.

Riding experience aside other factors still apply of course, for example some may prefer Titanium as it’s more robust than Carbon, high end carbon bikes can be lighter, although as I mentioned earlier when I weighed a Shimano Ultegra Specialized Tarmac Expert it was very similar in weight to a Van Nicholas Titanium bike with similar finishing kit; the Tarmac is a minimalistic race frame, Sportive framed bikes generally will be slightly heavier, so the weight differences, even high end, will be closer than it would for high end race bikes.

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

Not wishing to be rude Pual, but for those of us with a more "robust" build, shall we say, the weight difference in the bike is probably not that significant a factor!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #77 on: 26 July, 2010, 06:18:05 pm »
So in conclusion Paul and Flatus agree that for Sportive type riding Ti off the peg frame with carbon forks is the way to go.  :)
Yes for “Sportive type riding Ti off the peg frame with carbon forks” would be a valid choice; but so is a Carbon frame. In my opinion in terms of the riding experience it’s the sportive bikes where the pro’s and con’s of Titanium versus Carbon frames are well matched.

Riding experience aside other factors still apply of course, for example some may prefer Titanium as it’s more robust than Carbon, high end carbon bikes can be lighter, although as I mentioned earlier when I weighed a Shimano Ultegra Specialized Tarmac Expert it was very similar in weight to a Van Nicholas Titanium bike with similar finishing kit; the Tarmac is a minimalistic race frame, Sportive framed bikes generally will be slightly heavier, so the weight differences, even high end, will be closer than it would for high end race bikes.

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

Not wishing to be rude Pual, but for those of us with a more "robust" build, shall we say, the weight difference in the bike is probably not that significant a factor!
You do indeed have a point, but for many it’s just about indulging their hobbies; for some it very much is about the bike, if they want to indulge their hobby then there are worse things they can spend their money on I guess!."Now is Super Record really good enough for me......"

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

« Reply #78 on: 26 July, 2010, 06:44:40 pm »
Out of interest Paul what size frame is your Yukon?

AndyH

« Reply #79 on: 26 July, 2010, 08:07:50 pm »
AFAIK I have always ridden 170 cranks (certainly am at the moment) and prefer a 60 - 80 cadence, generally nearer 80. I am 5'10" with a 32" inside leg. I think I am borderline 170 / 172.5mm cranks but am happy to stick with 170. Any views ?

I'd say stick to what you're used to, except 172.5 should be ok if your chosen chainset is only available in that option.

If you're on Campag 9 speed you can get a 13-28 Veloce cassette.

Or 14-28.

This bike will be 10 on the back, either 13-26 or 13-29.. 1st step taken this afternoon, Campag Record triple 170mm ordered from GB cycles (sorry Paul) as they are half price and I'm worried they will run out. It's 30/42/53 so if the rings are used it will be a 29 tooth sprocket, else TA rings will be acquired.

BBs don't seem to be a problem at the moment in the 111mm asymmetric required. 

Paul Smith SRCC

• www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #80 on: 27 July, 2010, 09:42:12 am »

I have a 56cm Yukon and Chinook, at 5'11 ½ " with a 33" leg that size frame allows for the position I’m after, I don’t sit as long and low any more as I once could, that said I can still cope with 30mm spacers in steerer with a ’Flat Stem‘. If I needed a higher front end I could have easily coped with 58cm, although I can also get higher on the 56cm should I need to in future.
This bike will be 10 on the back, either 13-26 or 13-29.. 1st step taken this afternoon, Campag Record triple 170mm ordered from GB cycles (sorry Paul) ....
Please; no need to apologise, happy to share what I have picked up over the years

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

« Reply #81 on: 27 July, 2010, 09:48:39 am »
Yes I'm a similar build to you (and possibly a similar age!) and when a youth rode a 60cm frame with 10cm stem and a setback saddle. Current bike (an Argos Audax) is 56cm with 10cm stem and zero setback saddle - but if feels a bit short for faster solo riding (it's a campag 3x9 setup) so was thinking for a sportive type bike with a compact double I'd maybe look at 58cm.  Do you offer a bike fitting service at your shop?

Edit:  I see there's a Spesh BG bike-fit service - does this only apply to Spech bikes though?  Oh and the link in yr last post seems borked.

Paul Smith SRCC

• www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #82 on: 27 July, 2010, 12:09:19 pm »
Yes I'm a similar build to you (and possibly a similar age!) and when a youth rode a 60cm frame with 10cm stem and a setback saddle. Current bike (an Argos Audax) is 56cm with 10cm stem and zero setback saddle - but if feels a bit short for faster solo riding (it's a campag 3x9 setup) so was thinking for a sportive type bike with a compact double I'd maybe look at 58cm.  Do you offer a bike fitting service at your shop?

Edit:  I see there's a Spesh BG bike-fit service - does this only apply to Spech bikes though?  Oh and the link in yr last post seems borked.
I’m 46 with a bad back and an old dislocated shoulder injury, I can get only reach halfway down shin bone when doing a toe touch, a great athlete, if I‘m honest, I‘m not!

Providing the bike is the correct size, the saddle height and set back is quite straightforward to achieve as normally as we are not pushing any physical boundaries with the rider, the window of what is suitable at the front end is much larger. For sure you riding position is personal to all, goals, style of riding, our size and flexibility all play a part in the set up. You mention that you are only using a 10cm stem, they are relatively cheap so no harm in experimenting. Often a position will evolve and change as you do, some cope with a longer lower position at the end of the summer where they maybe fitter and slimmer for example. I even take an extra stem on tour, I mentioned an old dislocated shoulder injury, I can sleep in a draught and wake with a sore shoulder, as such I take a shorter stem if need be.

Specialized BG fit is not just for specialized bikes. What link seems ‘borked‘, I only linked to a side view of my Yukon in the Fens to highlight the position and that works OK on my pc?

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

« Reply #83 on: 27 July, 2010, 12:58:19 pm »
Thanks Paul - I'm a bit more supple (and a bit older) than you - I can still touch my toes at 53 - a few years ago I had a trapped nerve and the chiropractor said it was partially due to the fact that I was too supple - hadn't stiffend up enough to protect aging musculature!

It was the link to yr pis that failed - still does for me - though all yr others are fine.  :)

Paul Smith SRCC

• www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #84 on: 29 July, 2010, 11:53:21 am »

I have a 56cm Yukon and Chinook, at 5'11 ½ " with a 33" leg that size frame allows for the position I’m after, I don’t sit as long and low any more as I once could, that said I can still cope with 30mm spacers in steerer with a ’Flat Stem‘. If I needed a higher front end I could have easily coped with 58cm, although I can also get higher on the 56cm should I need to in future.

....It was the link to yr pis that failed - still does for me - though all yr others are fine.  :)
Ahhh I see now, the link worked on my laptop at home but not here (or anywhere else) for some reason, I was trying to show a pic' illustrating the length and drop from saddle height to bars that I use; as at our height that may not be desirable for all of course.

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

AndyH

« Reply #85 on: 03 August, 2010, 08:22:22 pm »
I had in my mind in order of preference

1. Enigma Etape
2. Van Nicholas Yukon
3. Sabbath September.

Went to see the Sabbath earlier and was very impressed, although not too keen on the stickers. I particularly liked the tapped holes under the brake bridge & behind the BB for mudguard fixing.

A day off tomorrow so off to Corridori to see the Van Nicholas and Enigma to see the Etape. - edit complete with shoes & current bike

Campag Record triple chainset is here & safely stored ready for the build.

In my various surfings I have found Gilles Berthoud carbon fibre mudguards. Am I getting carried away ?