Author Topic: moving to clipless/SPD...  (Read 13240 times)

Re: moving to clipless/SPD...
« Reply #50 on: 29 August, 2010, 07:39:33 am »
Some here are saying that it's impossible for them to ever come out vertically

I use black (single only release) cleats and if the pedal spring tension is quite low, I can yank my feet out on a pure vertical stroke, but this is also dependant on how worn the cleats are.

FWIW, on another forum, I'm running a poll about SPDs, as a guideline for anyone who is undecided about using them.  

Of the current 28 answers, 25 say that once they'd tried them, they'd never consider reverting to normal pedals again; of the other 3, one is a downhill MTB rider, where trailing his foot against the floor is part of the accepted technique.
I can't imagine riding without them now, but my dad, who rides almost exclusively mtb proper off road, has reverted to flats. No1Son rides spd but one of the mtbs is kept with flat pedals as apparently, it improves your technique. He says.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #51 on: 29 August, 2010, 12:00:33 pm »
I was doing a bit of bumpy off-roading yesterday (on a road bike with 23mm tyres* ::-)) - and yes I was really nervous with my feet clipped in and so could barely ride properly :facepalm:

* As the road turned into a path then into a field!; I couldn't face going back to go a long way out of my way.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #52 on: 29 August, 2010, 12:02:39 pm »
Apart from colour, what's the difference between the single- and multiple-release SPD cleats? Is there any visible difference in shape? 'Cause I'm wondering which mine are... Actually they're made by VP, and the blurb says they release by twisting your heel either in or out (which is true, I've tried it) but does not mention anything about lifting your heel or pulling it up. They are a dark silver colour, not that that means anything.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #53 on: 29 August, 2010, 12:24:56 pm »
There is a difference in shape, but that might be hard to describe.  Shimano cleats are marked with a number.  Can you see a number on yours?

The ones that are initially black may appear silver after the coating has worn off.

ps.  I don't know about VPs! :'(

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #54 on: 29 August, 2010, 12:30:22 pm »
I use Time ATAC pedals. The couple of times I've come off the bike (and thankfully its not a frequent occurance) my feet have unclipped automatically 'as if by magic'.

Anecdote is not data. YMMV.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #55 on: 29 August, 2010, 12:31:34 pm »
They are marked VP-C01. They are pointed at the end, then a vertical bit, then another slope then another vertical bit, then the big elongated oval bit.

/\
       |   |
     /      \
  _|        |_
 |               |
(                 )

Like a New York skyscraper!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #56 on: 29 August, 2010, 12:55:58 pm »
I fear the difference between single and multi-release cleats is too slight to reveal with ASCII art.

I wouldn't worry about it anyway if they behave to your liking.  Give them a good old yank to test, minding not to bust your ankles!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #57 on: 29 August, 2010, 01:36:12 pm »
I'm still in the "getting used to them" stage, really. So far, so good.  :)

« Reply #58 on: 29 August, 2010, 07:05:50 pm »
Pedals used - several cage style metal and plastic, BMX style platforms with pins, Shimano double sided SPD, Wellgo platform/SPD

Retention used - none, plastic toe clip no straps, plastic cages with straps, metal cages with straps, SPD with MTB style shoes, 3 x velcro systems, Powergrips.

Shoes used - Northwave ATMTB, any old shoe/trainer/boot and Five-Ten Impact Low with stealth grippy soles

Preference - BMX style platforms with pins, no foot retention and any shoe with reasonably stiff base and stealth rubber grip

Bashed shins - zero
Foot slippage - only when missing clipping in
Falls - only when unable to release from SPDs

Are there benefits to being attached to pedals? - yes, do they outweigh the negatives? - not for me
Nuns, no sense of humour

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #59 on: 29 August, 2010, 07:29:09 pm »
Just out of interest, do you notice or have you noticed any difference between using plastic and metal toe clips? I've only ever used plastic ones - I don't think I've even noticed metal ones for sale! - but wonder if metal ones might be stiffer?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #60 on: 29 August, 2010, 08:06:01 pm »
Just out of interest, do you notice or have you noticed any difference between using plastic and metal toe clips? I've only ever used plastic ones - I don't think I've even noticed metal ones for sale! - but wonder if metal ones might be stiffer?

Metal clips are stiffer, but don't always fit your shoes so comfortably.  Stiffness from the clips isn't all that important when using tightened straps.

Christophe is the classic make for metal clips.  They come in various sizes.  St John Street Cycles stock some others as well.

« Reply #61 on: 29 August, 2010, 08:16:32 pm »
The metal ones I tried were on an old bike I picked up from the tip, design seemed good but a bit small for my feet, though I do cycle in clumpy boots sometimes. They were ok but a bit easy to bend, the plastic ones spring back but I knocked these out of shape a couple of times.

Probably due to age, cheapness, and not being the right size, so not really a fair assessment of this sort of system.
Nuns, no sense of humour

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
« Reply #62 on: 29 August, 2010, 10:39:17 pm »
There is a difference in shape, but that might be hard to describe.  Shimano cleats are marked with a number.  Can you see a number on yours?

IIRC, Shimano SH-51 is the single release and SH-56 is the multiple release.  Number should be stamped on the bottom.
Old enough to know better!

« Reply #63 on: 29 August, 2010, 10:44:54 pm »
OK I got my my (unused) black cleats (Shimano SM-SH51) and compared them to the silver (SM-SH56) fitted to my shoes. From below theY look identical in profile, and the back edge looks identical. Where they differ is the appearance of the front edge side on. These pics show it:

From below (look the same):

From behind (look the same):

From infront:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #64 on: 30 August, 2010, 10:54:24 am »
My "SPD-compatible" cleats are definitely not the same shape as either of those in Feline's photos, so I wonder if they will actually work with Shimano pedals? Not that it really matters, though, they work fine with the pedals they came with.  :)

Steve Kish

« Reply #65 on: 30 August, 2010, 05:44:57 pm »
Lara, your photo of the front tells the tale. 

The multi-release silver one has a chamfered piece to allow multi-angle release whereas the black one has this cut away.

Also, I've just noticed that the SH-56 has a capital 'M' stamped into the rear part, presumable indication Multi-release.

« Reply #66 on: 06 September, 2010, 08:38:30 pm »
Which shimano cleats are good for using with Lidl cycling shoes (seem to have four thread holes) and Shimano M520 pedals?

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #67 on: 06 September, 2010, 08:46:20 pm »
Shimano SM-SH51 (that come with M520 pedals) should be ok with any SPD-compatible shoes.

The shoes with two rows of two holes for SPD - you choose the row you like, to place the cleat nearer to, or further from, the toes.  In line with the ball of the foot is the traditional cleat position.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #68 on: 06 September, 2010, 08:59:24 pm »
Any SPD cleat will work(not SPD-SL), you only use two of the four holes. They give fore and aft adjustability.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #69 on: 07 September, 2010, 08:53:08 am »
I have to say that when I first started with SPDs I used to have them on the lowest spring tension. Since riding fixed I now have them on the highest.

My experience has been that as I climb on fixed I sometimes twist my feet a bit as I'm squirming to get extra leverage and this has caused me to come unclipped at low spring tensions.

Now I have all my pedals on maximum tension partly because I'm used to it and partly that it just feels more secure. It DOES mean that the amount of twisting force required to remove my foot is greater but I'm used to that now.l
Owner of a languishing Langster

« Reply #70 on: 07 September, 2010, 09:35:38 am »
There is a difference in shape, but that might be hard to describe.  Shimano cleats are marked with a number.  Can you see a number on yours?

IIRC, Shimano SH-51 is the single release and SH-56 is the multiple release.  Number should be stamped on the bottom.
Ah, but then there is the SH-52 and SH-55 as well. The former seems to look the same as the SH-51, but must be labled differently for those who use XTR pedals and require an exclusive cleat to match. The SH-55 I think, is the original multi-release cleat. It's what I got with some M324 pedals.

Steve Kish

« Reply #71 on: 07 September, 2010, 08:47:52 pm »
Which shimano cleats are good for using with Lidl cycling shoes (seem to have four thread holes) and Shimano M520 pedals?

I use Lidl shoes (bike footwear bargain alert!!) with SH-51. Just choose whichever of the two pairs of holes suit the two cleat holes.  One pair for cleat far back, the other for cleat far forward.

Having been weaned on Cinelli M71 and Shimano 7400 pedals, I never have a problem and would probably find SH-56 a bit too 'girly'!

(Chest-beating and macho growling may follow!) ;) ;D

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #72 on: 07 September, 2010, 09:36:43 pm »
It's what I got with some M324 pedals.

I bought M324 pedals for one bike and regretted it; the serrated edges can tear chunks out of your shins.  Put A530s on the next bike and like them much better.  SH51 cleats are compatible with both, usefully.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #73 on: 07 September, 2010, 09:43:40 pm »
Better still, for ease of use go for double sided M520 pedals.

I used to use A520 (and a Wellgo equivalent) but after moving to double-sided I'd never go back (except for Look style pedals but then I'd only use them when unclipping was a rarity not a common occurrence).

No matter how little time you think you spend flicking the single-sided pedal over to get clipped in it's just so much easier with double-sided as you just stomp and go.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #74 on: 07 September, 2010, 09:44:56 pm »
Having tried the single sided I agree the 2 sided are much more convenient. They are also lighter and dont scrape ur legs with teeth  ;D