Author Topic: 2nd Browser briefly launching without command? iMac.  (Read 1481 times)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
2nd Browser briefly launching without command? iMac.
« on: 18 March, 2019, 09:43:26 am »
Just been viewing a web page using the default browser Firefox and without any input from me, either on the page open, nor accidentally launching anything, Safari opened a blank window on top of the open Firefox one. It immediately 'jumped' behind Firefox. A quick look down at the Dock indeed confirmed Safari was running. Before I could click on the Safari window to quit it, it quit itself! My hands weren't using the keyboard throughout and the mouse was stationary with no fingers in action.

ps last time I used Safari was 2 days ago and the 'puter has been shut down since then - and certainly wasn't running beforehand today

iMac 2017, OS 10.13.6

Any ideas?

Re: 2nd Browser briefly launching without command? iMac.
« Reply #1 on: 18 March, 2019, 09:56:45 am »
Open up System Preferences, Look under users & Groups, highlight 'Login Items' - if Safari is listed in there, that'll be the reason why.
If it isn't, I'm afraid I haven't a clue.

ian

« Reply #2 on: 18 March, 2019, 10:06:22 am »
Something is triggering a new browser session and Safari is your default (possibly a clumsy pop-up window test)? Or there's a file type somewhere that is tied to Safari, though I'm sure there are a million dialogue boxes to hurdle first, that said, if you've agreed to trust something.

I'd suspect the former.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #3 on: 18 March, 2019, 10:30:30 am »
Open up System Preferences, Look under users & Groups, highlight 'Login Items' - if Safari is listed in there, that'll be the reason why.
If it isn't, I'm afraid I haven't a clue.

Thanks for the swift replies :)

No Safari listed in 'Login Items'  :(

Something is triggering a new browser session and Safari is your default (possibly a clumsy pop-up window test)? Or there's a file type somewhere that is tied to Safari, though I'm sure there are a million dialogue boxes to hurdle first, that said, if you've agreed to trust something.

I'd suspect the former.

Firefox is set as the default browser. Nothing in Safari 'Preferences' to give any clues :(

Weird, man, far out! There ought to be a little dispenser on computers that automatically pops open with a 'lude' or some such, when it detects the user's been 'freaked'

Gonna have to get out and ride instead

ian

« Reply #4 on: 18 March, 2019, 11:43:11 am »
What's the webpage?

« Reply #5 on: 18 March, 2019, 11:50:08 am »
I'd guess unrelated to the web page you were using - either malware or some benign app doing something weird. If you remember the exact date and time you could have a look in Console app to see if there's anything relevant in the system logs.

Are you 100% sure it was Safari and not something with a similar window/icon?

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #6 on: 18 March, 2019, 03:39:52 pm »
I'd guess unrelated to the web page you were using - either malware or some benign app doing something weird. If you remember the exact date and time you could have a look in Console app to see if there's anything relevant in the system logs.

Are you 100% sure it was Safari and not something with a similar window/icon?

The webpage I was browsing in Firefox at the time was the Grauniad and as mentioned, Firefox is the default browser, by choice and setting.

The situation occurred about 10 minutes before I posted on here. Never used or needed to use Console before :-\

Certain it was Safari, in that the blank window appeared and then immediately hid itself behind the Firefox window, before I could identify it, (no other windows or Applications were running), so I checked the topmost 'toolbar'? and it showed Safari as the active application ??? I then checked the Dock and it confirmed Safari was running. As I was 'startled' and about to try and quit Safari, it 'quit' itself with no input from me and no keyboard or mouse use. It basically appeared and then disappeared in a matter of seconds.

Feel more relaxed now - 27 mile ride in cool drizzle - but NO gales and NO flooded roads - plus tonight's supper ingredients procured  :)