Author Topic: spoiled expensive clothes  (Read 2406 times)

spoiled expensive clothes
« on: 18 November, 2018, 08:46:37 pm »
I am looking at several options for a winter jacket, but the thought of having these expensive fancy technical ending up sweaty and smelly, and then washed many times over, and loosing their properties (waterproofing mostly) is kind of putting me off. Any idea how long a high end winter jacket like Rapha's hold their value?

Re: spoiled expensive clothes
« Reply #1 on: 18 November, 2018, 09:28:57 pm »
I've got a Goretex Pactlite jacket, it's about 15 years old, I think I've washed once maybe twice. It's not smelly because any water that ends up on the inside is just water from condensation not actual sweat.

The water repellent coating has worn off and needs renewing but it's still waterproof.

I only wear it when it's actually raining though.

This thread should be in Knowledge.

« Reply #2 on: 19 November, 2018, 02:33:55 am »
I agree with ^. You really don't need to wash them that often. Even if you do decide to wash the jacket you can use that waterproofing stuff, which may or may not be snake oil.

I'm well aware of the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness, but I think just going mid price waterproof (say 80 to 100 quid) is a much better bet, 'cos when I get a bit out of shape on the local downhill trail in winter, I may well rip a sleeve right off when I can't stop myself going into the trees. DAHIKT  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 19 November, 2018, 09:05:05 am »
Ho-hum. Someone in Italy is now wearing my 2006 Paclite, unless it's in San Marino. Got another since but it's not yellow. Anyway +1 for Paclite.

OTOH the Soft Shell jacket does get a bit pongful, and needs a wash every two or three months in one of those pricey de-ponging detergents sold specifically for delving the pockets of anyone who can afford Soft Shell.  My current one is around 10 years old and is still structurally sound.

I'm well aware of the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness, but I think just going mid price waterproof (say 80 to 100 quid) is a much better bet, 'cos when I get a bit out of shape on the local downhill trail in winter, I may well rip a sleeve right off when I can't stop myself going into the trees. DAHIKT  :P

Given your interest in guitars, I'm guessing that the arm didn't come off with it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 19 November, 2018, 09:10:05 am »
Anent spoiling expensive clothes, I can remember being most exceeding pissed off when my very first road rash experience also ripped my new Odlo shorts.  Somehow, I'd expected them to be made of sterner stuff than my epidermis.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5 on: 30 November, 2018, 12:08:41 am »
I've used a Rapha winter jacket for the last ten years. It's as good as new apart from where I caught the sleeve in my back wheel.  :facepalm:

« Reply #6 on: 30 November, 2018, 12:17:47 am »
I sweat lots and my stuff smells if I don't wash it semi-regularly. If you wash it then the waterproofing magic is lost, unsurprisingly.

However the waterproofing magic can be reapplied with Nikwax Tech-Wash and then Nikwak TX-Direct.

My Gore Paclite jacket that is 15+ years old beads water like it is almost brand new, it just looks a bit shabby. I also wash a bunch of other stuff in TX-Direct and so have arm/leg warmers that nicely bead water.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #7 on: 30 November, 2018, 06:12:17 pm »
I have a Karrimoor Paclite Gore jacket  ( in Red) prob 15+ yo, worn it prob 10-15 times in that time,  If its lagging it down, (or forcast) I just don't go out.  I also have a , prob  24 yo Parrot  windproof/shower proof smock/kagoule,that I love to bits. A few years ago I got caught out ,started out on the Dorset coast 200k in the Parrot,  and it absolutely fell out of the sky, stopped at control at Weymouth waiting or it to stop,  and got the shivers,   putting on the Paclite (much too late) didn't warm me up for prob 10 miles .lesson learned. 
I think the Paclite was c.  £95 back then, and that was a lot of money,  washed it prob 3 times, then ironed the outer, to put back the sheen. never smelt, I now keep it on top of the saddle bag, in a nylon sack, for 'emergencies'

BUT if I go away for  a winter weekend, of hostelling and ruff stuff, I always take/wear my ex - German  army gortex jacket, with hood.I cut off the internal pockets,  sewed up the pocket openings, and used the pocket inners to extend the arms some 5" past the velcro cuffs, to facilitate longer arms when cycling.  It has saved my bacon many times,  a complete deluge on t'moors near Pinkery YHA, and a complete white out, on t'moors,  near te now defunct Crewkern ? YHA, in Somerset.  Is been around has that coat.  I  use a bungee around  my waist, and  'hooch' it up for cycliing ( jacket length ) then when a mechanical forces a stop,  I let it down again.  Only cost £30. 

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #8 on: 14 December, 2018, 07:35:23 pm »
I killed my Altura waterproof by washing it in the washing machine at 40 degrees. The taped seams aren't taped any more. I reckon it was the heat that did for it. Next time it will be cold water for anything glued together.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 14 December, 2018, 07:45:39 pm »
I killed my Altura waterproof by washing it in the washing machine at 40 degrees. The taped seams aren't taped any more. I reckon it was the heat that did for it. Next time it will be cold water for anything glued together.

40C is hardly any hotter than you would be powering up a hill.

Detergents are now formulated to work at lower temperatures so they might have unglued your taping at less. I don't dare was my outer wear and accept looking scruffy.

« Reply #10 on: 14 December, 2018, 08:45:29 pm »
My washing machine has a 'Quick 15' setting, 15deg for 15min (and more than half that time seems to be rinsing and spinning). That, combined with a small of Nikwax Tech-Wash each time seems to keep my kit and particularly the soft shell stuff clean & pong free and without effecting any of the water resitance or breathable properties.